Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 11:56 AM

2,072 posts, read 6,698,009 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody on this wonderful Wed!

Can you guys help me out here. Does anybody have any info on Barrington, New Hampshire"? Is that a very rural area? It appears to be 34 mins from Portsmouth. But overall how is Barrington.

All and any info on the schools, taxes, crime and more will help.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 12:48 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,249,220 times
My son and his family lives in Barrington and they really like it. They moved from Dover and seem to like it better. They have kids in school there and have no complaints. Parts or Barrington could probablly be considered rural depending on where you're comming from. You're really not that far from anything that you might need.Rochester, Portsmouth or Dover are a real easy drive. Calef's country store has the best smoked cheese and homemade donuts anywhere. If i was to live in Barrington, i'd consider myself a lucky guy!

Old 09-15-2010, 05:08 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,140,515 times
Barrington has some lovely spots for sure. Barrington Shores campground is popular for swimming. Most of the town is rural. Route 125 is a major thru-way and runs through Barrington, but once you get away from the highway, it's pretty country with rolling hills and farms that still sell produce like peaches and apples. (Warren Farm).

Old 09-15-2010, 07:27 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
I have friends who live in Barrington, they love it. They bought land a few years ago when it was cheaper - I think prices went up. yes, it's rural, I think she said they sometimes go to Protsmouth shopping (nearest fabric store, anyway). They are very happy with it.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,738 times
I responded to your message. I bought land in Barrington because of the town's location, rural feel, and easy access to Portsmouth, Dover, and Rochester (job opportunities). You might pay a little more for land/housing than somewhere like Milton or Farmington, but I believe you get more for your money. I have family in Barrington also that put kids through school, so that eased my mind a little with some first hand experience with the school system, as my son will start 3rd grade and go through high school in Barrington once I settle down in a few years. I found a good deal last year on some land - a steal in Barrington. I can't wait to settle down and build my house. And I second Calef's - wicked awesome baked goods and cheese. They let me sample some and made a buyer out of me! Good luck!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:29 AM

249 posts, read 754,095 times
I bought a house in Barrington in December. I love the area. I'm from NJ and still splitting my time between the two places due to my job. It's rural, but still close enough to the things you need.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:55 AM

219 posts, read 366,772 times
We decided to build a house about a year ago due to the confluence of the tax credit and market conditions. After spending months looking at nearly every town south of route four we concluded that barrington and nottingham offered the best combination of value: schools, tax rate, quality of life, accessibility, small town values and community

We paid slightly more to be in nottingham due to the slightly lower tax rate and the fact that we both work south of route 101. However, both are excellent towns and we would have been happy in either.

Barrington and Nottingham both have local K-8 and then tuition the students to Dover High. Both towns will pay all or the vast majority of the tuition to nearby Coe Brown High School if the student is accepted. Coe Brown is regarded as one of the best high schools in the state. There is no bus service to Coe Brown but there are several car pools in town and several community based venues to coordinate rides or any other service you may need.

There was talk about Barrington building a local high school and our friends in Barrington indicated that the school will be built over the next few years but I have not seen anything concrete. There was talk locally of Nottingham and Deerfield tuitioning high school students to Barrington if the school is built.

Crime is generally non-existant in nottingham. Both towns do have large lakes and the population will swell during the summer-time holiday weekends. There was one incident of assault by an out of stater on a local officer over the fourth of july weekend but I read the town email list and town forum every day and this is the only crime I can remember since moving to town. The police in nottingham are currently part-time but there is talk of adding another officer. I believe the police in barrington are also part time but I am not positive. By part-time nottingham does not have a mid-night shift and police coverage is reduced on the weekends. Both towns have mandatory recylcing and no curb-side pickup; I simply through the trash and recycling bins in the truck on saturday and head to the dump.

Depending on where you live in town you can count on a 5 - 10 minute drive to the grocery store; slightly longer to walmart and the home improvement stores. If you need a mall, bookstore or natural foods store you will need to drive to portsmouth; again depending on where you live in town count on 15 - 25 minutes.

Last edited by thebig0; 09-20-2010 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: added info about crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire