Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 22,733 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I've just come across this site - such a great resource!

My husband and I will be relocating to the Boston area soon. We're considering a move to Durham, as we have a 4 year old and a baby on the way. We also have family nearby (in Durham and South Berwick, ME). We hear the Oyster River School district is great and really like the atmosphere of Durham.

One catch (aside from the high taxes ) has been the long commute time from Durham to Boston. I'll be working in Cambridge and would love to hear thoughts on commuting via the Downeaster. Looks like I'll be in transit about 2 hrs each way, between the hour and a half on the train and then the transit time from North Station to Cambridge?

Has anyone been doing this daily commute for a while? Is it really that bad? Seems ideal to be able to use the time to get some work done, catch up on other things and etc. What's it like in the winter? The train seems like a much better option than driving. But, it looks like if I miss the 7 am train from Durham, I'll have to find some other route...(bus from Dover?).

We would love to live in Southern NH rather than a Boston suburb. I'm not familiar with these areas at all - so thanks for any advice!

Allison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 01:48 PM

453 posts, read 2,101,315 times
i don't think it's worth wasting 4 hours a day in a commute. i would suggest either finding a job closer to where you want to live, or live closer to where you'll work. if you work 8 hours a day, you're basically wasting half of your "free-time" sitting on a train.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:02 PM

639 posts, read 3,528,368 times
I think the train is a fantastic option that we have here. It's ideal. You can sit back, relax read a book, listen to music on your IPOD, take a cat nap, whatever. It's GREAT. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread that came down the pike for commuting in to Boston. I took it from Newburyport though never Exeter, Durham or Dover. You'd be taking AMRAK's Downeaster from Durham if you lived closer to that station. It's running roughly $15 one way and it takes roughly 1 hour and 21 minutes. It took me may be an hour and 10 minutes from the MBTA commuter rail at Newburyport to get down to North Station if I remember right. I took the 5:55 AM train, back then it was 6:05 I think, I forget now, but we got in to North Station like clock work around 10 after 7 the majority of the time.

In the winter months when it's freezing out? There were days when there were delays, not many, but they happened. It's expected. During snow storms? It worked out really good because the only thing you had to worry about was getting your car out of the parking lot. Just throw a shovel in the back and you're golden. I never had any issues with the train at all. YES, it can be very very tiresome working 5 days a week, although I did the 4 day work week and also took classes at night on top of that. I was like a zombie coming home late at night, but I did it. Some times I'd drive all the way in to the MBTA Wellington or Oak Grove stations if it was on a class night. You'll get used to the commute. It's really not that bad. The USA's average commute to work is one hour and this is just a little more, that's nothing!

Some people thought I was SO crazy when I first moved to the seacoast and told them I was keeping my job in the Financial District. But don't forget it was back in the early 80's in to the late 90's. Not as many people did it then like now. More and more people are living up through here now more than ever before. You'll get used to it. It's better than putting all that wear and tear on your car! I finally woke up one day, the light dawned on me finally and I started taking the commuter train down to Boston and it was the best best move I made with that commute! It's worth every dime you pay too!
For me it was great because I could still meet my good friends that live in Boston and meet them for the North End for dinner and still catch a train to get home!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 07-14-2007 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: typo..

Old 07-15-2007, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 22,733 times
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, CityGirl52! We're weighing the pros and cons right now. A lot of my work is done online, so I really don't think the commute time will be that bad. The job is something that will not be changing anytime soon, so the Cambridge work location stands.

It also makes so much more sense to me to sit back and enjoy the ride if it's an option, be it on a train or a bus, rather than battle crazy traffic.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire