Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 AM

115 posts, read 430,661 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,
I'm back with more questions. Can someone just confirm whether I am right when it comes to cost of the car registration.........I think I read somewhere that you pay a nominal fee to the state but then you have to go to town/city where you move to and pay an additional fee which is based on the value of the car so you could end up paying hundreds of dollars...is this correct?

I have seen some comments on this site that Electricity is expensive in NH........ is it expensive because you have to use more of it in winter or are electricity rates just high...........can anyone give me a ballpark cost per kilowatt so i can compare it to me current electricity bill where I am living in PA.

I saw a list of the states with the cheapest car insurance rates and NH seems to be high up that list.............well I assume it has to be cheaper than PA which is a rip-off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:59 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
All you need to know is NH has the 4th lowest tax burden in the United States.

The Tax Foundation - New Hampshire's State and Local Tax Burden, 1977-2008

PA is the 11th highest.

The Tax Foundation - Pennsylvania's State and Local Tax Burden, 1977-2008

Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
You do pay state and local fees to register your cars here. I'll be renewing the registration on my Mom's car in Londonderry later today. The state fee=73.20, the local fee= 71.50.This is for a 2004 Buick Century, and I don't drive a luxury car, so obviously, YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedspaddy View Post
Hey folks,
I'm back with more questions. Can someone just confirm whether I am right when it comes to cost of the car registration.........I think I read somewhere that you pay a nominal fee to the state but then you have to go to town/city where you move to and pay an additional fee which is based on the value of the car so you could end up paying hundreds of dollars...is this correct?

Old 05-19-2010, 12:31 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Fees can run into the hundred. My bike (2009) is about $350. All fees can be paid to the town. There is no need to pay in two separate locations although I would guess one could if they wished to do so.

I have PSNH and don't find them any more expensive than other states. Depends on your usage. Electric hot water and heaters can certainly drive up the cost. I use their budget program which vaerages it out over the year.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:47 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
State registration fees jumped across the board this year. I pay both state and town fees at the town office. Rates for car registration depend on the age of the car. New cars will cost $500+. For the next 4 years the costs of registration will drop until they level out and remain roughly where Val sees them.

Electric bills are extremely high because we are paying for the construction of Seabrook Nuclear still. We have also had the cost of repairs from the ice storms added to our bills. We don't share in the profits of the electric companies, but we share in the expenses.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:01 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
can anyone give me a ballpark cost per kilowatt so i can compare it to me current electricity bill where I am living in PA.

here is an example of the monthly electric bill:
basic monthly customer charge residential service = $9.87
KWH Distribution Chrg = 729.00KWH X $0.032200 = $23.47
Transmission Chrg = 729.00KWH X $0.013070 = $ 9.53
Stranded Cst Recovery Chrg = 729.00KWH X $0.012190 = $8.89
Systems Benefits Chrg = 729.00KWH X $0.003300 = $2.41

Total Delivery Services $54.17

PLUS

Supplier Services Detail
Energy Charge - Rate R 729.00KWN X $0.090300 $65.83

Electricity Consumption Tax (calculated by rate $0.00055/kWh) $ 0.40

Total amount now DUE: $120.40

Calculation - actual reading 12/29/09 6767
actual reading 11/30/09 -6038 = 729

I prefer the actual reading bills - estimated bills (roughly every 3 months) run $50 higher than actual.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,472 times
Default PA Registration Expired - HELP

I have a question of the same regards that needs instant response. I bought my used car in March 2010 thinking everything was set and go-go for me to be on the road. Well just last week, i got pulled over Dec 31 2010 for my registration being over due for 6 months. 6 months!!!! I was quite surprised this didn't happen earlier after the officer told me the situation. How is this possible? I never thought i would have to deal with any issues with my car for atleast a year til i would have to renew and get the car re-inspected and re-registered. I am a Pennsylvania resident and the car is registered in PA. I obviously since then registered my car the same day online. But somehow I dont think this should be all my fault. I'm thinking about taking action against the auto-dealer for the fines/fees I now have to pay. Who is at fault here? Maybe it is me and I have no problem, it just didnt seem right that tags and title were transferred and they went bad only 2-3 months after the purchase of the vehicle? If any response can help, please email me IMMEDIATELY. [email]djdrrage@gmail.com[/email] much appreciated to anyone that can point me in the right direction.
P.S. I'm being fined for 160$ should i shrug this off or fight it with the auto dealer?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:15 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRage View Post
I have a question of the same regards that needs instant response.
You need to post in the PA forum, this is New Hampshire, the laws aren't the same.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:17 PM

369 posts, read 964,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRage View Post
I am a Pennsylvania resident and the car is registered in PA.
...and this is the New Hampshire forum.

Do you not have a printed regestration from Pennsylvania with an expiration date printed on it ?

Does your home state not issue some kind of sticker with an expiration date printed on it to be placed on your car or license plate ?

Old 01-09-2011, 10:42 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Rage NH has no system like that. We don't transfer car regii's to a new owner. Last I knew several states work that way, but NH isn't one of them. Here things go by the date of the owners birth, so most regii's are for 12 months. If it is a first time reggi, then more months can be added, but never less.

Your answer unless 'we' are in error can be found asking in the Pa boards.

In NH regiis used to be in line IMO, but no more. I pay well over 100 a year for reggi upping my 1985 volvo, more for the truck, van and 06 motorcycle.

These tax fees are way out line, but so is every thing else. I see no end of it, not when a 78 cent loaf of bread typically sells for 3 bucks. Same thing for tater chips, same thing for everything.

Public service seems to mean the Govt is the one to be serviced. Everyone else pays hard up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire