Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:00 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,006 times

Advertisements

Out here in So Cali we have had a huge problem with black widows, and just spiders in general this summer. Does NH have a problem with spiders? Every night I walk my dog, I see them everywhere. It is so creepy, every night I walk through atleast one spider web I HATE spiders and bugs. So how is the bug population out there? I know about the ticks and the black flies, so now I need to be filled in on the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 07:47 AM

951 posts, read 1,653,768 times
Well..........there are bugs............and spiders. Unfortunately. But, they almost all go away when it gets cold!
We have lots of beetles (harmless), our share of spiders (most are harmless like the "daddy longlegs"), and crickets, grasshoppers, and the like. Most of what I hate are the wasps and hornets. They can build nests in and around your house. I always keep lots of spray killer on hand. The best stuff to kill them is not "Raid": it's automotive brake parts cleaner! That stuff shoots out in a long stream so you can stand back, and it kills on contact-instantly! Plus it's cheaper than the other stuff.
Don't worry about bugs. The are present no matter where you move to-except the north and south poles.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:30 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Yup we do have some spiders in NH, but for the most part we leave them alone because they catch and eat the bugs that we don't like! There have been reports of Brown Recluse spiders, but it's believed that they can't overwinter here (they need a warmer climate) Of course they hitch rides on trucks from down south, so of course there's always a chance of one getting up here...

For the most part, our bugs are non-poisonous. Black Flies which you've heard about, are a PITA, I'd worry more about mosquitoes (EEE and West Nile) and ticks (Lyme Disease, which I unfortunately have personal knowledge of, and many other co-infections such as bartonella, babesia, erlichiosis). Do you hear much about Lyme on the West Coast? Doctors are finally starting to "get it" around here (that lyme patients are not faking it, not hypochondriacs, and not crazy!

I'm so glad we don't have to deal with things like black widows, scorpions, etc. We just have bears, coyotes, and an occasional mountain lion

Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Yup we do have some spiders in NH, but for the most part we leave them alone because they catch and eat the bugs that we don't like! There have been reports of Brown Recluse spiders, but it's believed that they can't overwinter here (they need a warmer climate) Of course they hitch rides on trucks from down south, so of course there's always a chance of one getting up here...

For the most part, our bugs are non-poisonous. Black Flies which you've heard about, are a PITA, I'd worry more about mosquitoes (EEE and West Nile) and ticks (Lyme Disease, which I unfortunately have personal knowledge of, and many other co-infections such as bartonella, babesia, erlichiosis). Do you hear much about Lyme on the West Coast? Doctors are finally starting to "get it" around here (that lyme patients are not faking it, not hypochondriacs, and not crazy!

I'm so glad we don't have to deal with things like black widows, scorpions, etc. We just have bears, coyotes, and an occasional mountain lion

Hi Valerie
We never hear of anyone talking about Lyme out here. Ticks just arent an issue here where I live. My dogs are always outside, and never have we had to check them for ticks or have they had one. We do hear about west nile a bit. I think I did read that you or a family member has lyme. I am very sorry for that. From what I have read, it isnt a pretty thing to have, very painful. I wish you and your family the best and send you lots of good wishes.

The brown recluse (violin) spiders are here too. We had a break out of them at one of our elementary schools years ago. The whole school had to be shut down for a week. God I HATE spiders The black widows have been so bad this year, they are everywhere!!. Anything that creeps and crawls freak me out.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,140 times
The vast majority of insect species, over 98%, are not pests at all. I only consider insects pests if they jeopardize health, life or property. Most of the spiders I see at my home in NH are the opposite of pests. If I see them, I know they are probably eating something less desirable. I try to be judicious about bug sprays, because they do not kill as judiciously as these spiders.

Now the brown recluse is one that concerns me, although I have not seen any and I hope I never encounter one. It's okay by me if you want to call this variety of spider a pest.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:08 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
All the biting insects were have are harmless more or less. They will set you right off buggin you, but for the most part unless an allegey is involved you will just be pissed off.

The worst of the worst is the black fly, the next runner up is the no see um, a smaller black fly like critter, the sketters, then deer flys, moose flys and horse flys.

We have bee's and wasps that sting not bite and yellow jackets. The white faced wasp and the yellow jackes are the 2 most bothersum and aggressive.

I never hear of a brown recluse in NH, but I managed to be bitten by one in Md, and it sure is no fun. NH spiders hunt for you so if anything move them outside, with out them dead in the doing.

I am not a city dweller so i would say there are no roaches, but there could be in the cities.

To me there are garden insects that are worse than all these like the Japanese bettle, the cut worms, and squash bugs, plus potatoe bugs which are very ugly and very squishy.

Some people are allergic to the black fly bite, more or less near the bite site you would swell up, and in extreme cases need to see a doctor. Now I am no doctor and for all my life that type of insect has been eatting me which just sets me off, but other people from away seem to show more sign of allergic reations. So I think anyone planning to move here should allow themselve some bites. One reason is you would want to know the reaction, and another is you might develop anti toxins, like I think I have.

And these biting bugs just love perfumes and assorted gooks you gal wear on your skin. Fine by me too, since if you are with in 1/2 miles of me the bugs will go bother you, and not me.

We do have big cats, but they are very rare to see. Most people would be lucky to see a track.

Driving there is a fair chance to hit a deer, that ends with a battered car most of thime and a dead deer. Hitting a bear is about the same way but the car is worse off. When hitting a moose most of the time the moose dies the people in the ft seats die and the car is a total wreck.

Not many live to tell of hitting a moose. Of all the moose is the harder to see. And most people thatr live never saw the moose they hit before they hit it. The reason has to do with the mooses eyesight, and the way their guard hairs lay.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:52 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,028 times
The biggest spider I have ever seen in my life makes its home in a web outside my bedroom window.I'll have to post a picture. I leave it alone because as Val said, it eats pesty bugs, but OMG it is HUGE and it creeps me out.

Good to see you back around these parts, Suzette.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:15 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
The biggest spider I have ever seen in my life makes its home in a web outside my bedroom window.I'll have to post a picture. I leave it alone because as Val said, it eats pesty bugs, but OMG it is HUGE and it creeps me out.

Good to see you back around these parts, Suzette.
she's not back NDQ - old post revived

Old 06-26-2010, 09:38 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Oops I missed that.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:07 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,028 times
ooh - me too. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire