Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:02 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times

Advertisements

How much snow does it take for a town (Keene) to shut down? Or is there such a thing? Does it just ever get too cold or snowy to go outside? I know that will be atleast my hubbys' biggest hurdle to over come, the cold. My daughters and I love it, but hubby isnt a huge fan of the cold. He will tolerate it, but gets cold easily. I told him he can wear a hat from LL Bean, that should keep his head warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 05:42 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Suzet

Keene is a good distance from the Ocean- and will have a climate similar to much of southern and central Vermont. Winters will be colder then say coastal New Hampshire to the east, Boston, Providence, Hartford, New Haven-and all of southern New England.

Where here in eastern CT in the winter we may see a rainstorm and 40s-Keene may be 30 degrees and see heavy snow. While it is also raining in Boston and Providence. Inland New Hampshire is a zone 4-5- while Boston is a zone 6-7, as I am here in Connecticut.

As far as the weather 'preventing one from getting out' that happens here in Connecticut 1-2 times a winter- and not always from snow-freezing rain IMHO is worse then snow. Severe cold with high wind chills will keep me in- but that only happens here 1-2 times a winter. Last winter we had very little snow in Connecticut so it caused really no problems.

Keene will see more severe weather conditions in the winter then southern New England. Last year Keene had below average snow fall also. What bothers me regarding cold/snow would probably bother your husband more. Adapting to the first winter will be tough for him.
Even here in milder Connecticut- it will be a shock.

On thing to consider is; Keene's climate is milder then 30 years ago, with ever increasing milder winters and warmer/longer summers via climate change/global warming- this warm trend is likely to accelerate around 2009 and after. In any case weather will become increasingly unpredictable- so record snow amounts could occur.

If your husband dislikes cold- I would suggest southern New England and south coastal areas of New England- which are considerably milder then Keene. Where there is likely to be less snow and severe cold, with earlier springs and longer mild weather into late Autumn.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-26-2007 at 05:51 AM..

Old 08-26-2007, 07:04 AM

9 posts, read 81,118 times
Default Whats considered southern new england

I am thinking about relocating to N.H. from Brooklyn, NY. What areas of Southern New England would you suggest. I noticed you said more autum, less severe snow and bitter colds. . like the cold, but not to bitter. lol

Old 08-26-2007, 07:21 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
How much snow does it take for a town (Keene) to shut down? Or is there such a thing? Does it just ever get too cold or snowy to go outside? I know that will be atleast my hubbys' biggest hurdle to over come, the cold. My daughters and I love it, but hubby isnt a huge fan of the cold. He will tolerate it, but gets cold easily. I told him he can wear a hat from LL Bean, that should keep his head warm.
Suzet - Once your hubby gets used to layering, the cold won't bother him as much. When we moved, I was REALLY concerned about the cold, being stuck inside because of either the snow or cold - we're up north and I can honestly say that while it WAS cold some days, it DID snow, with layered clothing, I was comfortable and the snow was cleared very quickly from the roads so we were never "snowed in."

The house we had rented had little to no insulation and there were a couple of mornings when we would go into the kitchen to find our dog's water dish had frozen I wasn't too happy about that (and that was with the heat cranked up in the house!) We have since bought a house which IS insulated and the rest of the winter was much nicer.....Just don't rent an old farmhouse with no insulation and you guys will be fine

Old 08-26-2007, 09:24 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
The cold will be hard the first year, but he will adapt just as Northerners do when they move south. LLBean is a good brand to wear also Northface is very good. Gloves and a hate are a must , the hat will keep him warm and layers are essential. Might I also suggest for yourself and daughters and husband long underwear or think leggings for the girls. I wore stockings under my pants and that extra layer does wonders. If you kids are going to be playing outside in the snow a lot, i reccommend snow/ski suits.. I wore one last January and I swear to you I didn't feel the cold even one bit through it and I was soooo warm, I ended up sleding outside for 2 hours and not once was I chilly, and it was about 9 degrees out. I don't know how much snow keene gets yearly, I've heard different stories from different people and I left before the storms hit last year in March and April to settle things in Florida for the move. I will certainly keep you posted though this winter!

Old 08-26-2007, 11:34 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Southern New England, which includes; Connecticut, Rhode Island, and southern Mass- to the east to Boston, the north shore, and south shore- and south eastern Mass will have the mildest climates in New England.

Coastal New Hampshire will be similar. Micro climates exist. Extreme NW CT and north westernMass will be colder- SE CT will be milder.

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-26-2007 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-26-2007, 03:00 PM

215 posts, read 583,981 times
Suzet,

Up here in Colebrook, the winters are getting milder.We still get snow but not like we use to. Last winter saw only a few storms of 3' or more. Up here in the north country its time to play. Snowmobiling,skiing (both alpine and crosscountry),just layer up on the clothing you will be fine.There are days when the temp goes to-30 to -40 but those also are getting fewer.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:41 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Default What areas of southern New England?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatety718 View Post
I am thinking about relocating to N.H. from Brooklyn, NY. What areas of Southern New England would you suggest. I noticed you said more autum, less severe snow and bitter colds. . like the cold, but not to bitter. lol
This really depends on various factors you'd consider in choosing a place to live in any region. Close to a city, or more in the country? Suburban? What kind of entertainment do you enjoy? What are your shopping needs? What kind of work do you do, and where is that available? What's your housing budget? Are good schools important? In the three southernmost New England states, and in southern NH and VT, climate varies from something similar to what you're used to in Brooklyn down along the coasts of CT and RI and the southern coast of MA, to a colder, snowier, somewhat more continental climate in VT, western MA, and southwestern NH. With this much variation in climate over the general region of southern New England, climate is probably just one of a number of factors you'd want to consider in order to find the place within the area that would work best for you.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:15 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Keep your car sensibly stocked with extra clothing & boots, a blanket, extra handwarmers, breakfast bar or two, and the usual on-the-road necessities like flashlight, flares, etc. in case you get stuck on the road in the winter. A snowstorm can be pretty treacherous, and it doesn't take long to get soaked and frostbitten. There are still people in the north who don't know how to drive in snow and all it takes is one car to get stuck in front of you on the road and you won't be gong anywhere anytime soon either.

The first few snowfalls are always beautiful, but after that it gets old really fast. We lived in NH over 30 years, and I finally couldn't take the cold and snow anymore. It's no fun cleaning out your driveway and then having the plow come through and close it in with a 2-3' pile of snow that you now have to clean out *again*.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:42 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
I really enjoy the cold and snow for the most part. The biggest adjustment for me will be getting aquainted to the short daylight hours during the winter in NH. I think that winter sports and activities are a key in order to keep active in the winter season to combat the short daylight hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire