Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2006, 06:07 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what it is like living in or near Stratham? I have begun to research Rockingham County...the closer to the the seacoast the better, but I am interested in any areas in that county or even Hillsborough County that are nice places to live and raise children. I just don't want to be in a very large city. Also, what is NH economy/jobs like? Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2006, 05:04 PM

28 posts, read 132,157 times
Stratham is gorgous and close to the coast but very expensive, most homes in the 400k and up range. No large cities here, but Boston very close which is where many southern NH people work. Commute is hard, housing very expensive anywhere up to Concord, and winters are long and cold. Came from CT and glad I did, built house in rural area before price surge, but jobs are farther and not many industries to choose from. Mostly tech, high-end manufacturing, some financial services, lots of retail, and construction a plenty.....

Old 04-03-2006, 09:35 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times
Thanks for responding...so you're originally from New England...we are currently living in Northern New Jersey (born and raised) and I need to be out of here! Loved it growing up here, love my family and friends, think we have some beautiful scenery but it's not the same anymore and I want my children to have a better future. I don't think it's here. We're considering southern Maine but a few people said it's very expensive there and my husband got scared so we started researching southern NH/seacoast area. I researched Nashua area but some of the populations there were too much for me (although I don't know how large those towns are) so I thought I'd look into Rockingham County, plus it's so close to Maine. I live in an area now that's no bigger than 3 square miles and has between 25,000 - 35,000 people. I don't want that again. But now, what you're saying is that NH is expensive too. In NJ (especially where I live), some schools are wonderful, jobs are pretty much everywhere, but a fixer upper costs no less than about $280,000. What else can you tell me about NH (i.e. schools, jobs) and is there any good or bad comparison to Maine too?

Old 04-04-2006, 03:02 PM

28 posts, read 132,157 times
I have met a number of people from NJ who have come here and many other states. Only 33% of the population (just crested over 1million not that long ago) are native to the state. In my opinion, if you are going to live in the northeast NH is hands down the place to be. That said, it is being pressured by the influx of folks such as us who are coming to escape the insane taxes, hectic lifestyle, and want to live in a bucolic and healthy environment. Some argue those coming in tend to want all those supposed services they were use to and drive up the taxes and urban sprawl. On the other side, most small towns, and that is most of NH, want to keep it as it has been for the last 200 years. Dealing with this small town mentality can be very aggravating coming from a more urbanized area. Seacoast is where I wanted to relocate but would not pay the inflated real estate prices that have dogged the area/state for some years. There will be a price correction soon, and some of that has begun this year, so I would wait till late 2007 to look for property. Maine is great but has adopted the more liberal mindset and hence the taxes are very, I mean very high and social programs a plenty. NH is more in tune with professional jobs, but seacoast is not really in that category, need to be more towards Manchester, Merrimack, and Nashua. Once very conservative the state has enjoyed very low taxes for this part of the country. I do believe however, that NH will change and fall in line with the rest of the New England states and loose it’s uniqueness and quality of life as more people flee the other NE states and bring the bad habits and ignore what kept this state great for so long…sad. Also, winters are long and cold, looking out my window and it is snowing on this April 4th day..good luck.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:13 PM

24 posts, read 126,243 times
Hi where in northern NJ. we are considering moving to Vernon Valley. But the more we look we do like southern NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire