Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 05:46 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone reading is still interested in Littleton, but I figured I'd throw this in, just in case.

There was a luncheon a few days ago, maybe a week ago, about the economic development/where the town stands type of thing. While I didn't go to the luncheon, I did watch it on public access TV off and on. It sounds like Littleton is doing okay on the "financial front." The housing market (from the way it sounded) has not tanked and is holding steady - I think they said the median price of a house is 177K, up from last year. Houses are selling, just not as quickly. I *think* they said the foreclosures were either level at 6 or had dropped to 6.

There is a vacant store next to Chutter's (the candy store on Main Street) and I believe they mentioned there are plans for that store. It's evidently a fairly large property and there may be four smaller shops going in that space. The co-op has plans to build, hopefully to be completed by the end of 2008, which will employ 45 (I believe) full-timers with benefits and more part-timers.

Broadband will be readily available in the town for businesses and homes to make doing business easier. I heard something about talking with Canadian companies, but I didn't catch it all as I was doing something else, but it almost sounded like they were trying to bring some Canadian businesses into the area, again, I didn't catch it all and I may be wrong.

There is evidently an art museum that will be, or hopes to be, in the Opera House once the renovations are completed, and there is talk of getting the actual opera house (stage, seating, etc.) back up and running for various things.

I think, from what I understood, Littleton is not experiencing the "major" growth it did, but it has plateaued, has not fallen back and is still making improvements, moving forward, al beit at a slower rate - overall not bad in light of things happening in other areas across the country. I think they also said the two biggest employers in the town are the Littleton Coin Factory and the hospital, both of which are still going strong.

So, depending on what you are looking for, things are not "dark and gloomy" here in the town - while not "Pollyanna-ish rosey", they seem to be slow and steady and people are working to keep Littleton....well Littleton....with an eye to the future as well and integrating growth/jobs with the character and values of the town....

If anyone knows more about this and if I'm wrong on any of the above, please post and let me know! As I said, I was listening with half an ear and I may have some of the above wrong, either slightly or WAY off base
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire