Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 PM

110 posts, read 202,279 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would love to find an old farmhouse with barn or other interesting property commuting distance to Burlington, MA (trying to keep drive to about an hour each way). Any recommendations for charming small town, free from the strip malls, etc.? Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Chester

Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Chester

agreed, plus Auburn, Danville, Hampstead. Even Fremont is possible if you can locate somewhat near the highway.

Chester is really pretty though, with sheep farms, the quaint town center and there's just a bit of affluence.

One of the natives won the lottery and he is very philanthropic.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:42 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,524 times
The previous posters have listed some great places to live. Chester is my favorite town in all of NH but it can be pricey to buy there.

Other towns I would reccomend include Danville, Hamsptead, Kingston, Kensington, Rye, Hampton Falls, and Stratham (has some strip malls but is mostly charming).

Old 04-12-2013, 08:03 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Don't you guys know where Burlington MA is? Maybe I've been doing it wrong, but a one hour drive north during normal commute times barely gets you to the NH border. Never mind anything north of Merrimack.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Default My town is free of strip malls, but it's also free of convenience stores and other handy retail options

There are many great small towns and homes with interesting properties for sale once you get past Nashua. If you've never lived in an old farmhouse, you might want to think carefully, I looked at several such building and all had issues with one or more of water, insulation, carpenter ants, mice, and undersized circuits.

I drive to Burlington regularly, by avoiding "normal commute" hours I can get there from Hooksett in under an hour. If you have flexibility in your work schedule, you can live quite a bit north of the border. If not, well, I hear Hollis is nice.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Sandown is a nice area

Old 04-12-2013, 01:58 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlis13013 View Post
Don't you guys know where Burlington MA is? Maybe I've been doing it wrong, but a one hour drive north during normal commute times barely gets you to the NH border. Never mind anything north of Merrimack.

of course, 95 to the back roads through Ward Hill area and north - quick and eazy and in an hour

Old 04-12-2013, 03:42 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisiswater View Post
My husband and I would love to find an old farmhouse with barn or other interesting property commuting distance to Burlington, MA (trying to keep drive to about an hour each way). Any recommendations for charming small town, free from the strip malls, etc.? Many thanks in advance!
If you're going to be on the east side of the Merrimack River, my suggestions would echo some of the previous posters: Auburn & Chester are rural towns that may have the farmhouse, barn combo that you're looking for. Hampstead also-very easy to Exit 3 on Rte 93. Londonderry does have barns & farmhouses, but also has the dreaded stripmalls. Sandown, Danville, Kingston: more rural, but further away from the highway with curvy back roads may add an additional 20 minutes or more to get to the highway, especially in winter driving.

West side of the Merrimack: consider Hollis, Amherst & Mont Vernon. The commercial district (Route 101A) has scads of strip malls & shopping centers, but once you're off the main drag, it gets rural FAST. Definite farming areas.

Other than wanting an interesting property that's not in strip-mall land, let us know if there conveniences that you would wish to have relatively nearby (maybe within 15 minute drive) such as a grocery store, gas station, etc. Maybe we can further pare down the list for you

Old 04-12-2013, 03:46 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
of course, 95 to the back roads through Ward Hill area and north - quick and eazy and in an hour
Ward Hill, NH? Where is that located? The only Ward Hill I know of is in MA (the southernmost section of Haverhill that borders North Andover)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire