Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 04:59 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,564,067 times

Advertisements

Someone brought it to my attention that people in NH hibernate the 5-6 months of winter. I guess that could be true, so I am asking what the norm is.
In Chicago, for example, people DO tend to hibernate more in the 5 months of winter. I did, I know. That does not mean you don't go out and do things, but the things tend to be inside.
Anyone want to enlighten me?
If this is true then that means it would be smart for a single, older, retiree like me to just get involved in alot of clubs, local politics and other activities in order to stay busy and meet people over winter. Otherwise, it could get mighty lonely...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 05:42 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Tootsie, as long as the roads are clear and the weather not too exceedingly cold, nothing stops most of us New Englanders from getting out.

We had about a foot of snow here in eastern Connecticut a week ago- well mild weather and rain has melted most of it- so for me at least seeing no snow is an additional psychological lift. The weather is turning colder in a few days- but cold here without snow is no problem. Up in New Hampshire your winters tend to be a wee colder, and on average there is more snow- but I even here have never felt compelled to 'hibernate' except under the most extreme weather circumstances, and even then certainly for not more then a few days.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:39 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,097,263 times
I hibernate here in FL for the summer for 4 months because it's so miserable outside. even though it's sunny, it's no fun to be outside.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:27 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,070 times
I tend to be hibernating here in NH AND I did it in Fla.. from June-sept even sometimes October in Fla the blinds were pulled and I only went out to take my dog out.. Up here the month of December has been a slight hibernation month for me.. The beginging wasn't so bad , the snow storm after snow storm is kinda getting to me, cause I'm tired of having to clear the drive way.. Although they do beat hurricanes.. But with a potential 2 more on the way before New Years I'm saving my energy to clear again.. I've been doing mostly puzzles , reading, renting movies etc.. Skiing is kinda expensive imo and the hubby has been working nonstop stop I just kinda chill!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:23 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,032,208 times
I'm not entirely sure what you mean: whether it's winter or summer people still have to buy groceries, get gas, sometimes eat out, walk their dog.. We were just up in Hollis over Christmas and there were people out jogging along the roads.... Just dress for the temperature/weather.

Sure, you can't exactly play soccer outside in the winter and there's not much swimming in the town pools , so I'm not sure what sort of activities you're looking for. But clubs and various organized activites are always a good way to be out and about and get to know people.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:47 AM

Well with my health problems I can't go out really and ski for long, or ice skate for long. I certainly can't jog at all, or ride a bike.. So its hard for me to find a lot of things to do. I can't stand for long periods at a time beacasue I have severe issues with my b/p and I'll pass out. So things like the pool are actually good for me, I get exercise AND it regulates my bp lol.. I've come to just accepting chillin at home and finding hobbies of my own to work on

Old 12-29-2007, 09:48 AM

13 posts, read 19,247 times
You sure do complain a lot. lol, you are making me ache and I don't even have any aches.

You telling folks in the florida thread how miserable it is up here. You need to get a job, that way you have some money to buy a seasons ticket to ski, they are cheap when you buy for the season. If you get into the winter lifestyle, it's a big playground . You are not seeing the big picture.

Last edited by lilsheba; 12-29-2007 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Tootsie, as long as the roads are clear and the weather not too exceedingly cold, nothing stops most of us New Englanders from getting out.

We had about a foot of snow here in eastern Connecticut a week ago- well mild weather and rain has melted most of it- so for me at least seeing no snow is an additional psychological lift. The weather is turning colder in a few days- but cold here without snow is no problem. Up in New Hampshire your winters tend to be a wee colder, and on average there is more snow- but I even here have never felt compelled to 'hibernate' except under the most extreme weather circumstances, and even then certainly for not more then a few days.
I agree.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsheba View Post
You sure do complain a lot. lol, you are making me ache and I don't even have any aches.

You telling folks in the florida thread how miserable it is up here. You need to get a job, that way you have some money to buy a seasons ticket to ski, they are cheap when you buy for the season. If you get into the winter lifestyle, it's a big playground . You are not seeing the big picture.
hmm I never said anything about it being miserable up north.. People asked what its like, and I tell them to make sure they really look into everything.. Same thing people told me to do.. If you read the above post you'd see that I CANNOT work, nor have I been able to for 3 years.. NOR can I ski becasue I have cardiac problems, along with other health probs.. You know what.. I done.. I'm not gonna be back here... I don't need to hear you tell me what I'm saying on any board. I know what I wrote.. I have not given negative advice on up north I simply told them what I've experienced my first time living up here. I enjoy helping people out in the NH board, and they've become some of the friendliest people I've come across. However if I'm just going to be bashed because I simply said I wasn't enjoying the snow as much as I did when it first came then good bye.. don't need it.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:57 AM

I sorry,

When you posted on the Thread "Diaries of a Snow Shoveler", you used a lot of words to describe how you felt about nh. That is the impression you gave.

You posted more than once in the fla thread and I did not want to repeat word for word , so the one word to best describe how you came across would be...... miserable.

I don't think I misinterperted what was posted.

Then I thought maybe I did misinterpert, I went back to read them again and it still comes ascross the same way.

This beautiful state has a lot to offer year round and I love every season. You have to take full advantage. I am not sitting behind a window, I am on the otherside whooping it up.

Giant Playground.

Last edited by lilsheba; 12-29-2007 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire