Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:14 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,421,062 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in VA and have a job offer that I am entertaining in Andover, MA. I was told in the MA forum that some parts of NH are pretty close to Andover, so I was wondering if you could help me locate those areas and what I should expect look for. A bit about me, I am female, single, 30 and have a child (4). Priority: great schools, short commute to Andover, safe area. i also don't want to be in a rural area lol , looking for an urban area and somewhat diverse. I will be renting not buying. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:02 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,714,563 times
Andover is a well to do town that's not that close to anything. It borders on Lawrence, which is probably the worst city in MA. That's the only city near Andover and you wouldn't want to live there. Andover has great schools and that's probably the place where you should live. It's just a town but it's a vibrant town and is not rural.

I'm in MA and I can't understand why anyone would tell you to live in NH and drive to Andover but maybe it's possible.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Andover is a well to do town that's not that close to anything. It borders on Lawrence, which is probably the worst city in MA. That's the only city near Andover and you wouldn't want to live there. Andover has great schools and that's probably the place where you should live. It's just a town but it's a vibrant town and is not rural.

I'm in MA and I can't understand why anyone would tell you to live in NH and drive to Andover but maybe it's possible.

Why are you saying that? I thought lots of people commute to Andover from NH daily?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Why are you saying that? I thought lots of people commute to Andover from NH daily?
Maybe they do. I go to the Andover area every week and it seems kind of isolated to me. I'm not coming from NH though. If you're looking for an urban area to live in, southern NH is not it either.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 PM

For some reason a lot of people recommended southern NH to me for a commute to Andover. Even the people I met at the interview in Andover lived in NH ( Salem)

Old 12-18-2013, 09:43 PM

Yeh, I guess you could live in Salem and drive down rte 93. I know zero about Salem NH but I do know that Andover is an adorable little town.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
Many, many people live in New Hampshire south of Manchester and drive to Andover for work. They all do this at the same time. The driving time is about 30 min or so except when the weather is miserable like this week. The Massachusetts income tax is balanced by the commuting costs and NH property taxes.

If I were moving to a job in the Merrimack valley from out of the region I would look for a smaller house in Andover or a nearby town. Southern NH is too expensive and inconvenient IMHO.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:10 AM

I considered NH because I was told the COL was cheaper in that area, especially as far as housing goes. I would be renting for about 2 years. How are schools in that area? Wow it looks like not a lot of people are on this forum, aren’t there a lot of NH folks around here? I guess I am used to the VA forum where people participate all the time and are way busier than this one. Thank you all for your help

Old 12-19-2013, 09:38 AM

48 posts, read 79,479 times
I live in Derry NH and commute to Andover for work every day. It takes me about 30 minutes. I leave a little later than most (8:30-9:00) so there's not much traffic, but I live kind of far from an on-ramp so it takes me about 10 minutes of driving on local roads to get to the freeway.

Maybe it's just because I'm from Texas and everything is so far apart there, but I don't find the Andover area remote at all. There are a lot of towns and small cities within 30 minutes so I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for somewhere around there.

We ended up going with NH because we wanted a bigger lot, but if you are going to be renting I'd probably start looking in MA. If you can afford it, I'd just stay in Andover because it's a super cute town and the schools are great.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:47 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,496,254 times
Andover MA and the towns around Andover MA are extremely Pricey. Lots of people commute from southern NH because an equally sized and quality house in NH is going to be like 30-40% cheaper. depending on the town. Like another poster said, the income tax you will still need to pay since your working in MA and you will need to pay slightly higher property tax depending on the town, but the cost of the house itself will be much cheaper. Politics also has to do a lot with it.

Do you consider yourself Fiscally conservative or liberal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire