Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 16,110 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know which towns in NH allow you to live in a mobile/manufactured home on your own land permanently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:38 AM

489 posts, read 963,552 times
I didn't realize living permanently in a manufactured/mobile home was not allowed in some cities. I know someone in the city limits of Sunapee who lived permanently in a mobile home, same with someone in Wilmot.

-Mike

Old 04-06-2014, 09:26 AM

571 posts, read 1,317,731 times
Same here. I have never heard of any town that does not allow such homes. As long as they are in code for electric, sewage, etc.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I think Londonderry only allows these homes in "trailer parks" lest these reduce neighborhood property values because of the trailers and the poor people that cannot afford any better. The town also cannot collect very much property tax from these homes and the town always wants more income and less expenditures on useful things like roads.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:11 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
Most towns in NH do not allow mobile homes on private property unless they've been grandfathered in. They must be in a designated mobile home park. My town allows a temporary mobile home to be set up for a period of one year during CONSTRUCTION of a new home.

It varies by town and the zoning laws change every year.

Grafton appears to be where Free Staters like to park their mobile homes. There are no zoning prohibitions in that town.

OTOH - towns like Hillsboro will not allow trailers in the historic district, the commercial district or the 100 year flood plain. Other towns may not allow them at all. Some allow parks with a specified number of units.

Even if your town has restrictions, you can appeal the zoning laws. Local laws must comply with state and federal rules.
New Hampshire Town And City

Old 04-08-2014, 01:57 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I an not certain but I think most places allow a pre built home made in a factory and shipped to your lot to be placed on a permanent foundation.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:18 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
NH is one of the few states where mobile homes can be titled as real property instead of just personal property.

Pre-fab or modular homes are not allowed in my neighborhood either. Communities often have restrictions on where manufactured homes can be located.

We also didn't know until 'Closing day' that farm animals are not allowed... That would definitely have made a difference in building our home. We should have been told before we invested so much $.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire