Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:26 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,798 times

Advertisements

Peterborough is a very artsy town with a real downtown and it's much cheaper than Exeter. There's a lot of culture because it's home to an artists' colony as well as a publishing company. It's about 20 minutes outside Keene. Absolutely beautiful. It is farther from Boston, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 05:28 AM

259 posts, read 988,505 times
Default Perhaps Hanover is Exeter's closest rival

Exeter is steeped in history as N.H.'s revoloutionary capital. Phillips academy brings much of the flavor of that allmost-city. Great care is taken to preserve its rockwellian feel.

A little known fact. During the American revoloution a group of drunken upstarts and stole the brittish powder from Fort constitution in Newcastle overtook the fort without killing a soul and transported it to the brick powderhouse still seen across the river from Swasey Parkway, in Exeter. It was later transported to Boston for use in the battle of Bunker Hill. THe Brittish did get their powder back!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:54 PM

259 posts, read 988,505 times
Default Ioka Theatre

Lets not forget the ancien IOKA theatre downtown that is not too proud to sponsor a "Stoogefest" and run movies later than other theatres or bring back old hits for re-runs. They've had their struggles to remain vital as a single-screen venue against the mall multi-theatres.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:46 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Something interesting about Exeter-famous in UFO history--

'Incident at Exeter' the famous UFO sightings in 1965- still unexplained to this day,

from Wikipedia Exeter incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-27-2008, 09:06 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,250 times
Cool links! I lived briefly in my young-girl career in Brentwood. I love that area! I didn't know it had so much history, even cooler! Thanks guys! Now when I take my family, (scratch that, DRAG my family) out there for some sight seeing-nostalgic style, I can really pop off history and sound so well versed. mwhahahhahah totally bookmarking that site skytrek..

Old 02-28-2008, 05:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Try the Loaf and Ladel tavern for some really great bread, sandwiches and about the best chilli in this end of the country.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:27 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Something interesting about Exeter-famous in UFO history--

'Incident at Exeter' the famous UFO sightings in 1965- still unexplained to this day,

from Wikipedia Exeter incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Skytrekker - Interesting link and history! Have you ever heard anything about "alien abudctions" in Franconia Notch? When we first moved here a friend of ours told us stories about those rumors.....hmmmm....maybe we should start another thread about "alien activities in NH".....

Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 PM

248 posts, read 805,455 times
That is a great link skytrekker! ) The little things you know about where you live can really make some great stories in the car!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:31 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Thanks Daretodream & dzmjp

I have heard about the abductions at Francona Notch vaguely, but the other famous UFO incident in New Hampshire took place I believe in 1961 near the craggy 'Old Man in the Mountain' edifice near Francona Notch on route US 3 - The Betty & Barney Hill story.'

I am not really a UFO aficionado- but the Exeter Incident is famous- as well as the Hills story, of a UFO sighting, encounter and later abduction, by Aliens in the Book 'The Interrupted Journey'....
Betty and Barney Hill abduction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Daretodream a thread on UFO sightings in NH would be cool-some may be fascinated-others might be afraid to move to the state.

Last edited by skytrekker; 02-29-2008 at 07:10 AM..

Old 03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,175,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWonder View Post
Our only concern is, if we do not land jobs in Keene, it's kind of out there... My husband and I both have white collar jobs, he's a computer programmer and I'm a CPA.

What kind of opportunities / possibilities are in the Keene area?
There are some computer programmer jobs available in Keene. C&S Wholesale Grocers and their sister company ES3 have a number of jobs listed at monster.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire