Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2006, 03:42 AM

5 posts, read 34,335 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating from overseas to either Massachusetts or New Hampshire. We prefer a smaller traditional New England town with the classic historical buildings and architecture rather than the bedroom communties that are found outside most of the bigger cities. Our problem is locating these towns. We would be very grateful to anyone who may have some local knowledge or suggestions. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 04:43 PM

675 posts, read 2,685,402 times
Portsmouth New Hampshire might suit you. great downtown, with alot of character and old old buildings. It is more of a small city than a small town, but still very nice.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:55 AM

2 posts, read 6,301 times
Default Check out Pelham

Pelham NH is a cute little town, right over the MA border. NH lifestyle, but quick to Boston, cultural events, the North Shore, etc. The major Hwy 93 is due to be widened in the near future, improving access further.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 14,808 times
Default schools in Pelham

We are relocating from Guilford Ct. and are looking for a nice, quiet, safe town within a 20 minute drive from Salem NH (relatives). I found a house in Pelham I loved but I'm not sure about the schools and my husband is worried about the commute to Lexington/Bedford line. Any comments about the quality of schools and commute? Thanks!

Old 01-24-2008, 02:49 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
Pelham is a quick shoot to 495 - I'm thinking the commute would be about an hour, maybe less.

from what I've heard, the schools are fine. I believe kids in Pelham go to Timberlane Regional HS, but I may be wrong. It's been awhile and things change so quickly.

Pelham is a very nice community with shopping, etc.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:30 AM

625 posts, read 2,436,484 times
I wouldn't recommend Portsmouth--getting too "yuppified". If you want the Seacoast area, how about Exeter? Failing that, there are several nice communities surrounding Manch-Vegas that aren't totally built-up yet.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,306 times
Hi,
I live in Pelham and commute to Quincy, MA. for work. We are relocating to SC for work and from personal experience I must admit the commute (47 miles one way) is really not that bad. It does have its days if there are accidents or due to inclement weather, but overall it's manageable.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 PM

257 posts, read 619,642 times
Seabrook is normally really hard to get into. It's got a fairly low tax burden for coastal towns, and has a lot of jobs available. With the recent decline in the real estate market, there has been a brief availability of housing there.

It's certainly worth looking into. If you want lots of services and more government "presence," Mass may be better for you, especially if you don't mind the high prices, taxes, and some admitted political corruption. If you are mainly concerned with freedom, low crime rates, and low taxes, NH is a better bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire