Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:50 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,198,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Good point but replace "cell phone" with seatbelt and/or helmet. Is that the direction you want NH to go? I for one enjoy living in NH because we are more free to make our own decisions than most other states. Once that freedom to choose goes away we will be no different.
Only idiots don't use their seatbelts, and I feel the same about bicyclists and motorcyclists who don't wear helmets. But having the laws are a great way to develop smart safety habits. I see all too many news articles of accidents where the victims were thrown from their vehicle. As to helmets, I don't understand why any cyclist would gamble the well-being of their brains just because they like the sensation of wind blowing through their hair. Skin and bones can be mended, brain cells can't be replaced.

And I am a huge fan and follower of motorsports and all those competitions require the use of safety equipment such as seatbelts and helmets. If the professional motorsports competitors see the value and necessity in having seatbelts and safety gear, why wouldn't the same logic apply to our crowded public roads?

Not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle and not wearing seatbelts in a car is not a valid nor impressive show of freedom in my book. And that "beautiful mind" mathematician John Nash and his wife would most likely be alive today if they had only been wearing seatbelts while riding in their taxi on the NH Turnpike. Their driver survived because unlike his passengers, he wasn't ejected from his vehicle.

It seems to me that laws are enacted when the majority of the population starts thoughtlessly or selfishly heading down the wrong path instead of practicing commonsense and showing consideration for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 08:27 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,759,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
There it is. Read it and know it. It doesn't happen at once, it happens chip by chip under the name of safety and security.

And they always start with stuff like this, that some people can get behind, as a way of setting the precedent they will use to take away additional freedoms in the future.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:54 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,218,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It seems to me that laws are enacted when the majority of the population starts thoughtlessly or selfishly heading down the wrong path instead of practicing commonsense and showing consideration for others.
Laws are made to control the population. I don't need people like you telling me what my freedoms should and shouldn't be.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:11 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,384,778 times
Quote:
Only idiots don't use their seatbelts, and I feel the same about bicyclists and motorcyclists who don't wear helmets.
I support their right to not wear seatbelts or helmets. It affects their own safety. I don't support someone's "right" to text and drive and put everyone else's life in danger.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:46 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,759,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
I support their right to not wear seatbelts or helmets. It affects their own safety. I don't support someone's "right" to text and drive and put everyone else's life in danger.
I think there is some misinformation about this law. Texting while driving is already illegal. This new law just makes it illegal to talk on your phone unless you buy a new hands free device.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:51 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,546,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I think there is some misinformation about this law. Texting while driving is already illegal. This new law just makes it illegal to talk on your phone unless you buy a new hands free device.

I think you just hit the nail on the proverbial head the Uncle Bully

Old 06-19-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Only idiots don't use their seatbelts, and I feel the same about bicyclists and motorcyclists who don't wear helmets. But having the laws are a great way to develop smart safety habits. I see all too many news articles of accidents where the victims were thrown from their vehicle. As to helmets, I don't understand why any cyclist would gamble the well-being of their brains just because they like the sensation of wind blowing through their hair. Skin and bones can be mended, brain cells can't be replaced.

And I am a huge fan and follower of motorsports and all those competitions require the use of safety equipment such as seatbelts and helmets. If the professional motorsports competitors see the value and necessity in having seatbelts and safety gear, why wouldn't the same logic apply to our crowded public roads?

Not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle and not wearing seatbelts in a car is not a valid nor impressive show of freedom in my book. And that "beautiful mind" mathematician John Nash and his wife would most likely be alive today if they had only been wearing seatbelts while riding in their taxi on the NH Turnpike. Their driver survived because unlike his passengers, he wasn't ejected from his vehicle.

Not too judgmental there are ya.. and yet this long haired toothless idiot still survives.. while thousands upon thousands who trusted in those safety devices perished or became veggies because of them, but far be it for me to tell the family of someone who burned to death or drowned because they could not get their seatbelt off that the victim was an idiot for wearing one, nor would I think of telling the poor woman who just found out that her hubbys helmet did ireversible damage to his spinal cord that he was an idiot for wearing one..but hey please feel free to continue to spew your hate.. looks good on ya

Old 06-19-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
Laws are made to control the population. I don't need people like you telling me what my freedoms should and shouldn't be.
No..laws are made to dumb down the population or advance an agenda that appeals to the sheeple , sheeple appeased by crumbs are then more readily controlled

Old 06-19-2015, 04:18 PM

oh.. I also ride one handed and take pictures...

Old 06-19-2015, 04:48 PM

I really think this says it all about the new cell ban and all other such nuance laws

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: