Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 12:48 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,535 times

Advertisements

I'm a lurker on this board and Concord is on my short list for a possible future move. I must say that when I first looked at Concord online, the only thing I couldn't understand was that the "main street" through town was four lanes across. Not pedestrian- and shopper-friendly by any stretch of the imagination. So I think this will be a good thing in terms of making Concord's "downtown" even more walkable than it may already be, and may more easily attract folks like me who aren't necessarily looking for totally urban, but don't want totally rural either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 12:56 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I'm a lurker on this board and Concord is on my short list for a possible future move. I must say that when I first looked at Concord online, the only thing I couldn't understand was that the "main street" through town was four lanes across. Not pedestrian- and shopper-friendly by any stretch of the imagination. So I think this will be a good thing in terms of making Concord's "downtown" even more walkable than it may already be, and may more easily attract folks like me who aren't necessarily looking for totally urban, but don't want totally rural either.
Concords downtown was already quite walakable, all this does is further tie up traffic and add congestion

Old 11-17-2015, 06:10 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
On paper, trying to walk across 4 lanes of moving traffic sounds impossible. In reality though, there were sidewalks at every corner, and I've never had an experience where people don't stop for those in the crosswalk. And I used to spend A LOT of time in downtown Concord-there are some great shops to visit. In my opinion, this will make the downtown more congested, something that I never felt was an issue. Main Street was never a race track, and again, have never had an issue with drivers blowing past pedestrians on the sidewalk....

I've also never had a problem with backing out of a parking place. I don't care that somebody in the 2nd lane is still moving--I only back into the far right lane. In my opinion, bicyclists are the bigger issue. You can easily see cars coming toward you. Bicycles, not so much...

Old 11-17-2015, 10:21 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
I have mixed feelings on this. Before they started it, I would have agreed with a lot of the posters here, saying it wasn't really necessary, main street already was very walk able and the parking wasn't really that big of an issue to justify spending that kind of money.

As far as driving a car down main street, it sucked before the renovation because the 4 lanes were not really wide enough (cars sticking out into the lanes) and the excessive amount of crosswalks and time it took for people to slowly walk across four lanes was painful. With that said, I avoided main street before unless I was looking to park on main street and I will avoid it now, unless I am looking to park on it.

Now that its complete, my mind has changed. I really like how it looks and I think it will have a positive affect on town and will hopefully pull in some more businesses. There is more spaces on the sidewalk for outdoor dining and main street in general looks a LOT more appealing.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
I have mixed feelings on this. Before they started it, I would have agreed with a lot of the posters here, saying it wasn't really necessary, main street already was very walk able and the parking wasn't really that big of an issue to justify spending that kind of money.

As far as driving a car down main street, it sucked before the renovation because the 4 lanes were not really wide enough (cars sticking out into the lanes) and the excessive amount of crosswalks and time it took for people to slowly walk across four lanes was painful. With that said, I avoided main street before unless I was looking to park on main street and I will avoid it now, unless I am looking to park on it.

Now that its complete, my mind has changed. I really like how it looks and I think it will have a positive affect on town and will hopefully pull in some more businesses. There is more spaces on the sidewalk for outdoor dining and main street in general looks a LOT more appealing.
Although I disagree with you, I enjoyed the wording of your post, one thing though the street itself is still about the same width, just with a useless middle section.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:49 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,196 times
I haven't driven down there since the construction finished. Someone had told me this was happening on Loudon Rd. I am just glad they confused the 2 areas! That would have been a nightmare.
I always found it was hard to turn onto Main St. With all of the cars parks outward, it was difficult to see oncoming traffic. And although it was fairly pedestrian friendly before, I have a feeling this will improve the foot traffic (which will be good for the local businesses). I'm not so sure this is a bad thing but I will have to check it out for myself soon.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:16 PM

Update, went into Concords downtown proper yesterday on my journey to find the surgical center I will be going to in December.. the time was 1:30.. pedestrians running a muck in the streets ignoring those pedestrian friendly side walks.. no less then four vehicles double parked in the travel lanes, cars making illegal u turns on those nice new center sections and in general near stand still situation. Yep a "real" improvement all right

Old 11-22-2015, 04:28 PM

26,415 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Update, went into Concords downtown proper yesterday on my journey to find the surgical center I will be going to in December.. the time was 1:30.. pedestrians running a muck in the streets ignoring those pedestrian friendly side walks.. no less then four vehicles double parked in the travel lanes, cars making illegal u turns on those nice new center sections and in general near stand still situation. Yep a "real" improvement all right
Interesting, I am visiting family in a few days and I will have to see for myself as well as I anticipate going to downtown Concord. I do have to wonder why the city is not trying to position itself as being more open to some additional economic development on the job front as tax rates there continue to increase. I have a feeling that with all of the tax exempt properties within the city limits that cuts into this as well.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I was there during construction last Summer. I'll have to go back and see what the results are. Usually the nearest I get to Concord is on I-93 getting to the road to Laconia. That I-93 to I-393 Exit ramp is a gem if there is nobody in front of me.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:24 AM

104 posts, read 139,148 times
I drove down main street and parked there in September. It didn't look terrible but backing out was still a hassle. What really disappointed me was that I parked so I could visit the history museum. It was closed and moved. When I found the new building a lady said it won't be ready for the public until November. I presume it's open now, curious to see what they added. Maybe next summer I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire