Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 04:19 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,996,269 times

Advertisements

How many different flyers from different groups are being handed out to each student by this school district every year?

"As a concerned parent, you have the right to request your school district amend the take-home flier policy to restrict this service to school-sponsored or co-sponsored events only. If, however, your school district allows third parties to distribute take-home fliers, there are certain parameters that must be followed."

LINK

Old 12-10-2015, 09:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I wish we would get off this Eurocentric prudishness and have a real five day Saturnalia.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:00 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,177 times
Just stopping by to say happy 5th night of Hanukkah everyone

Old 12-10-2015, 03:51 PM

9,102 posts, read 6,324,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wish we would get off this Eurocentric prudishness and have a real five day Saturnalia.
Love the sentiment. As an American I hate Eurocentricism. The Europeans are not our friends. They are merely political allies and strange bedfellows to boot.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:04 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,946 times
Thumbs up THANK YOU SO MUCH, Casey B.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Merry Christmas, everyone!

Thanks for your post & wishes, CASEY

MERRY CHRISTMAS, CASEY B.! Merry Christmas, everyone!!

COUNTRY

Last edited by countrylv22; 12-10-2015 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: MERRY CHRISTMAS 2015! Happy New Year 2016! Happy Hanukkah 2015!:):)BLESSINGS TO ALL IN THIS THREAD!:):)COUNTRYLV22:):)THANKS

Old 12-10-2015, 09:53 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Thanks for your post & wishes, CASEY

MERRY CHRISTMAS, CASEY B.! Merry Christmas, everyone!!

COUNTRY
I'm offended by the spreading of joy.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:33 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,415,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Oops!! I meant "write". Haha! Oh well. I was rushing to make the post before I had to leave for work. At least I noticed and pointed out the typo before anyone else did.

Write on! Oops, I mean "Rite on"! Oops, I mean "Rite Aid"! Oops, I mean "Right on"! There, I got it write this time (oops, I meant "right this time").

On a serious note: I've been meaning to examine all my mobile devices (tablets, smartphones) to learn how to pernanently disable their spell checking & grammar checking features altogether (in text messaging and emails), as they are too prone to inserting incorrect words and incorrect corrections and hence I trust my own spelling and grammar knowledge and instincts over this automated correction technology (that is, it inserts "corrections" to your words without even asking you and offering you a choice). In fact, maybe I'll finally do that right now (as soon as I finish this posting).

ON THE TOPIC (per the Mod's posting to all of us): Whatever makes you happy, folks! Merry Christmas! Happy Chanukah! Happy Ramadan! Happy Kwanzaa! Happy Flying Spaghetti Monster Day! (bless his noodly appendage!), Happy Groundhog Day!, and so on and so on. Did I miss anyone?

A Henny Youngman joke (he was known as "The King of the One-Liners): "I once wanted to become an atheist, but I gave up. They have no holidays."

Last edited by UsAll; 12-11-2015 at 02:53 AM..

Old 12-16-2015, 07:21 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,198,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Apparently the White House referred to Christmas Trees as Holiday Trees for the first time this year, which prompted Ben Stein, to say, on CBS Sunday Morning. Be sure to click on continue, & read to the bottom!
My confession: I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejewelled trees, Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are, Christmas trees.
It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, 'Merry Christmas' to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu. If people want a nativity scene, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.
I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from, that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.
Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship celebrities and we aren't allowed to worship God? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where these celebrities came from and where the America we knew went to.
In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.
Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her 'How could God let something like this happen?' (regarding Hurricane Katrina). Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said, 'I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives.And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?'
In light of recent events... terrorist attacks, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found a few years ago) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill; thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.
Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave, because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said okay.
Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.
Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.'
Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell.
Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says.
Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing.
Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace.
Are you laughing yet?
Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it.
Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.
Pass it on if you think it has merit.
If not, then just discard it.... no one will know you did. But, if you discard this thought process, don't sit back and complain about what a bad shape the world is in.
You're a NH-er "LIVE FREE OR DIE" man!

Yes as a GOD / Jesus Christ loving non-religious Christian (who converted in the last few months from being RC) I'm tired of the PC garbage as well (that's also part why the "T" is doing well in your polls in NH). The "terms" and traditions have been out there for "eeeons" so unless it's a curse word or negative verb directed at one that if one doesn't agree/believe in it to instead let it go and accept others who have their right to their beliefs and or traditions.

I'll just say to everyone that'll blanket my love and = Happy December 2015!!!

Old 12-16-2015, 10:06 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,415,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Exactly. I don't know why Christians think that there holiday season is totally ruined if the poor overworked clerk at Home Depot says happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas FYI....I thought your response was just as relevant as anybody else that has some sort of world wide Christmas domination agenda going on here.
The Home Depot clerk (or at whatever other store) doesn't know the religious (or non-religious) leanings or affinities of ALL who come into their setting, so they just deemed that the best approach is to just be expedient in not assuming anything and hence choose to use a generic phrasing such as "Happy Holidays!" to be applied to ALL visitors to the store. Why should anyone be offended or feel slighted or reduced as a person by this? Should the store clerk always say "Happy Kwanzaa!" to one and all as their default greeting (as though everyone is of African or African American heritage and, even if every store visitor is African or African American heritage, it should be assumed that every African or African American heritage person who comes into the store has an affinity for Kwanzaa)? Or should the store clerk always say "Happy Chanukah!" or "Happy Ramadan!" to one and all store visitors as their default greeting? Or should they have a very long greeting to use with everyone that they have to read from a long cue card which says "Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Happy Ramadan, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Taoist Day, Happy Flying Spaghetti Monster Day, Happy Gautama Buddha Day, Happy Pagan Day, Happy Orthodox Nosepickers Day. . . " and every other December-time observance known the world over? You get the picture.

It is just simpler and more practical to simply say "Happy Holidays!" as a greeting to apply to ALL visitors. It is wholly reasonable for any store or other publically-accessible enterprise (e.g., a public library, post office, bank branch, et al) to presume that all visitors are at least minimally intelligent enough to know what is meant by such a choice of greeting as "Happy Holidays!" and to recognize the good will and good intentions inherent in it. Some of our fellow humans are just so utterly oversensitive . . . and unduly biased as well (i.e., in thinking that the whole world should cater, as a way-of-life, uniquely or exclusively to their OWN leanings, subscriptions, and preferences). If I am or were, say, an atheist or agnostic or secular humanist, should I always expect to always be greeted with "Happy Reason Day!" or "Happy Agnostic Day" or whatever? It doesn't reduce me as a person or reduce my own subscriptions or allegiances (if any are held by myself at all) to simply hear "Happy Holidays!" They don't need to specially cater to my own holiday subscriptions or allegiances (if any are held by myself at all). Trust me, folks, I'll live and life will go on just as well. I and my own subscriptions or allegiances (if any are held by myself at all) will remain wholly intact. Trust me.

Like this is a most-important consideration or issue for all of us to utterly preoccupy ourselves with in life-at-large?

Last edited by UsAll; 12-16-2015 at 10:39 PM..

Old 12-17-2015, 03:18 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,545,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
The Home Depot clerk (or at whatever other store) doesn't know the religious (or non-religious) leanings or affinities of ALL who come into their setting, so they just deemed that the best approach is to just be expedient in not assuming anything and hence choose to use a generic phrasing such as "Happy Holidays!" to be applied to ALL visitors to the store. Why should anyone be offended or feel slighted or reduced as a person by this? Should the store clerk always say "Happy Kwanzaa!" to one and all as their default greeting (as though everyone is of African or African American heritage and, even if every store visitor is African or African American heritage, it should be assumed that every African or African American heritage person who comes into the store has an affinity for Kwanzaa)? Or should the store clerk always say "Happy Chanukah!" or "Happy Ramadan!" to one and all store visitors as their default greeting? Or should they have a very long greeting to use with everyone that they have to read from a long cue card which says "Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Happy Ramadan, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Taoist Day, Happy Flying Spaghetti Monster Day, Happy Gautama Buddha Day, Happy Pagan Day, Happy Orthodox Nosepickers Day. . . " and every other December-time observance known the world over? You get the picture.

It is just simpler and more practical to simply say "Happy Holidays!" as a greeting to apply to ALL visitors. It is wholly reasonable for any store or other publically-accessible enterprise (e.g., a public library, post office, bank branch, et al) to presume that all visitors are at least minimally intelligent enough to know what is meant by such a choice of greeting as "Happy Holidays!" and to recognize the good will and good intentions inherent in it. Some of our fellow humans are just so utterly oversensitive . . . and unduly biased as well (i.e., in thinking that the whole world should cater, as a way-of-life, uniquely or exclusively to their OWN leanings, subscriptions, and preferences). If I am or were, say, an atheist or agnostic or secular humanist, should I always expect to always be greeted with "Happy Reason Day!" or "Happy Agnostic Day" or whatever? It doesn't reduce me as a person or reduce my own subscriptions or allegiances (if any are held by myself at all) to simply hear "Happy Holidays!" They don't need to specially cater to my own holiday subscriptions or allegiances (if any are held by myself at all). Trust me, folks, I'll live and life will go on just as well. I and my own subscriptions or allegiances (if any are held by myself at all) will remain wholly intact. Trust me.

Like this is a most-important consideration or issue for all of us to utterly preoccupy ourselves with in life-at-large?
lovely rant..thank you, again having NOTHING to do with the context or content of the OP, which has nothing to do with how a clerk or anyone else greets an individulal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire