Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I have 2 oil tanks in my basement that are connected. Each is 275 gallons so the total capacity is 550 gallons. Here's a photo of how they are set up:

I pre-paid for 400 gallons of oil. I scheduled 200 gallons to be delivered today, Friday 3/1/13, so I took a photo of my guage YESTERDAY. Here's that photo:

And here's a photo of the guage TODAY after the supposed delivery of 200 gallons:

Needless to say I was very concerned after I looked at the guage today. It has moved, but only about 1/8 of capacity (slightly less than 70 gallons), when it should have gone up by more than 1/3 capacity (200/550 = >36%).

I took my cell phone with these pictures to the dealer. The rep looked at the photos and told me my guage was probably broken. I said, "It's been working all winter. It suddenly broke the day of delivery?" She said, "It happens." She kept insisting that it was absolutely impossible for the delivery guy to leave a receipt telling me that 200 gallons were delivered (which he did), if they weren't. I kept saying, "Can you understand my concern when the guage barely moved after supposedly getting 200 gallons added to the tank?"

This is my first year with oil heat since 2005 or 2006, so I am the first to admit that maybe I don't know how to read the guage. For example, I don't know if the TOP of that little yellow piece is what I should be reading, or the bottom, or the middle. (Can anyone tell me that?) For my question, however, that doesn't matter, since no matter WHERE you read it, if you read the before and after photos in the same place, it shows that the oil in the tank increased by 1/8 of the total capacity.

Is there some explanation that I am missing? For example, I know that the tanks "equalize" (i.e., the oil should be equal in both tanks, not all in one and none in another or whatever), but is it possible that it takes time for that to happen after delivery, so that right now I am seeing the capacity of only one of the tanks (e.g., the left one, where the fill pipe is) BEFORE the equalization (so the right-side tank actually has more oil than the left-side one where the guage is, and it will take some time for the extra oil on the right side to make its way to the left side, at which time the guage will show the total amount correctly)? I seriously hope that is the case, because otherwise, I am missing 100+ gallons. (I will check the guage again tomorrow morning -- I took today's photo within half an hour after the delivery guy left. Unfortunately he didn't knock or anything, and I didn't know he'd even been here until I found the receipt on my door.)

I hope all this made sense, and I thank you in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 04:05 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
1) The gauges really are not very accurate and the "it broke" is actually possible. I've found mine registers in basically 1/3 tank increments accurately- anything else it can kind of "stick" along the way.

Here's an article that deals with gauges: Oil tank gauges: how to read, test, and inspect oil level gauges on heating oil tanks

2) It is possible the equalization pipe is clogged (less likely)...which tank gets the fill? The one without the gauge?

Sometimes a studfinder will work on oil tanks...I know it sounds crazy but basically if you start it on the upper portion (where there definitely is not fuel) it will usually register a "stud" (by sensing more density) when to come down and reach the level of the fuel.

As for the pump truck though- is this a reputable/long time operating fuel company? The pump meters are calibrated, tested, then sealed from tampering...unless its a fly-by-night operation the meter being fault is unlikely. If you still think there may be an issue you can contact the state (dept of weights & measures I think? Or whoever certifies gas pumps too...the sticker is on the pumps @ the gas station); but I'd make VERY sure it's not the gauge first.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:18 PM

BF66389, thanks for replying. The fill pipe AND the guage are on the same tank, the left one. I don't know exactly how the filling-up works, i.e. if the furthest tank (the right one) gets filled up first, then the left, then the oil settles and the tanks equalize, OR if the oil equalizes as both tanks fill at the same time. I just have no idea.

The reason I am skeptical about the guage suddenly breaking today of all days, when the 200 gallons were delivered, is that that would be a remarkable coincidence -- I've been checking the guage regularly (about every 2 weeks) watching it go down. So it DID seem to be working.

The link you posted was helpful, although doesn't address my exact concern. I am still hoping that it's just a matter of equalization and the guage will be different tomorrow morning ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
As for the pump truck though- is this a reputable/long time operating fuel company? The pump meters are calibrated, tested, then sealed from tampering...unless its a fly-by-night operation the meter being fault is unlikely. If you still think there may be an issue you can contact the state (dept of weights & measures I think? Or whoever certifies gas pumps too...the sticker is on the pumps @ the gas station); but I'd make VERY sure it's not the gauge first.
It's a company that's been in business for at least a couple of decades, and they have a good reputation. So I am giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I am still confused about the guage.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
Mine registers full right up to 10 minutes before the tank is empty. It is only 7 yrs old. They are useless.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Agree on the tank gauge being worthless for accurate measuring. "Sweat" on a tank is more accurate, but you have to know the geometry of the tank. As BF stated, the fuel is measured at the truck. If your receipt is printed by the pump, you got the correct amount.

Here, take a look over this:
Oil tank gauges: how to read, test, and inspect oil level gauges on heating oil tanks

Old 03-01-2013, 07:08 PM

Harry Chickpea, you gave me the same link that BF66389 gave me in the second post. It does have helpful info but doesn't directly address my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
Mine registers full right up to 10 minutes before the tank is empty. It is only 7 yrs old. They are useless.
Well, maybe YOURS is useless, but as I wrote, I have been checking mine every couple of weeks this winter and it has been steadily going down -- just as it should. So mine definitely isn't "useless."

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
... For example, I know that the tanks "equalize" (i.e., the oil should be equal in both tanks, not all in one and none in another or whatever), but is it possible that it takes time for that to happen after delivery, so that right now I am seeing the capacity of only one of the tanks (e.g., the left one, where the fill pipe is) BEFORE the equalization (so the right-side tank actually has more oil than the left-side one where the guage is, and it will take some time for the extra oil on the right side to make its way to the left side, at which time the gauge will show the total amount correctly)? I seriously hope that is the case, because otherwise, I am missing 100+ gallons. (I will check the gauge again tomorrow morning -- I took today's photo within half an hour after the delivery guy left. Unfortunately he didn't knock or anything, and I didn't know he'd even been here until I found the receipt on my door.)
This ^^^ turned out to be the explanation -- or at least it seems logical now, because I checked a little while ago, and the gauge has gone up by another 1/8 capacity (or slightly more). I will check again tomorrow morning, but it seems to have been an "equalization" issue between the 2 tanks. I guess in my tanks, when new oil is delivered, it goes first to the right tank (the one without the guage), then when that's full, it goes to the left tank -- THEN over a few hours, the tanks equalize (I assume oil from the right slowly drains to the left until they are equal). In the meantime, before equalization, the gauge is completely inaccurate.

I do appreciate the replies. I plan to go back to the dealer on Monday and let them know that I was clearly wrong in being skeptical about the 200 gallons being delivered -- I figure since I went there in person to complain, I should also go in person to apologize! I am surprised, though, that they didn't even mention that it could just be the tanks taking awhile to equalize -- this must have happened to others before me.

(And GAUGE, GAUGE, GAUGE -- I keep typing it wrong, aaggggh!)

Old 03-01-2013, 09:50 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
You can always unscrew the gauge and push the little bobber thingamajiggy down-it may just float back up to the correct level

When measuring the oil for pro-ration (for real estate closings) we can read the gauge and hope it's correct. What I prefer to do is have the oil company that delivered the fuel come out to the property and 'stick' the tank. They remove the gauge, put a marked pole down inside the tank to get an accurate reading of how many gallons of oil are actually in the tank. Buyer pays the price that the seller paid, not the price of oil "today". Peace of mind that neither party is getting ripped off from a faulty gauge. I'm a little surprised that the oil company that delivered your fuel didn't offer to come out and do that for you...

Last edited by Valerie C; 03-01-2013 at 10:11 PM..

Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Karen if you look on the bottom of the tank between the two you'll see a very small copper pipe connecting them. That's all that it has for it to equalize so yes as you figured out it will take a while..

During a delivery when the first tank fills it will go through that top pipe connecting the two.

Don't be afraid to have them filled. That red piece of pipe under the gauge is a whistler and that pipe will extend out to where the delivery pipe is. It serves two purposes, one is so the displaced air has a place to go and secondly that whistler will stop whistling when the oil hits that mark so the guy outside knows the tanks are full.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I'm a little surprised that the oil company that delivered your fuel didn't offer to come out and do that for you...
Time is money.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
You can always unscrew the gauge and push the little bobber thingamajiggy down-it may just float back up to the correct level
I will check to see how/where my gauge unscrews ... from a quick look I didn't see any screws.

Quote:
When measuring the oil for pro-ration (for real estate closings) we can read the gauge and hope it's correct. What I prefer to do is have the oil company that delivered the fuel come out to the property and 'stick' the tank. They remove the gauge, put a marked pole down inside the tank to get an accurate reading of how many gallons of oil are actually in the tank. Buyer pays the price that the seller paid, not the price of oil "today". Peace of mind that neither party is getting ripped off from a faulty gauge. I'm a little surprised that the oil company that delivered your fuel didn't offer to come out and do that for you...
Interesting, Valerie! But I have closed on 2 houses and both times they used the CURRENT DAY'S prices, which were way higher than prices when the owner bought. Oh, well. (When I left 3 tons of pellets at my old house, I sold it to my tenants for the price I paid, but then, pellets are easier to "measure"!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Karen if you look on the bottom of the tank between the two you'll see a very small copper pipe connecting them. That's all that it has for it to equalize so yes as you figured out it will take a while..

During a delivery when the first tank fills it will go through that top pipe connecting the two.

Don't be afraid to have them filled. That red piece of pipe under the gauge is a whistler and that pipe will extend out to where the delivery pipe is. It serves two purposes, one is so the displaced air has a place to go and secondly that whistler will stop whistling when the oil hits that mark so the guy outside knows the tanks are full.
The minimum for delivery of pre-paid oil is I think 150 gallons. I would have just asked them to fill the tank, but I wasn't COMPLETELY confident of my gauge, and if they delivered, say, 375 gallons to fill the tanks, I would have had only 25 gallons left in the pre-pay and would have had to order 125 more gallons (at the current price, which is way higher than the pre-pay price) before the pre-pay period ends (I think in May) to meet the minimum of 150 gallons for delivery -- if that all made sense! Now I am much more confident about my gauge and will order the remaining 200 gallons ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire