Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:23 PM

4 posts, read 4,071 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am wondering if you could give me some information about the area(s). I am thinking of moving to NH with my 2 little girls, both are under the age of 5. I am a single mom in my late 30's and we are coming from a pretty remote area, in the South. I am not from the South, but have lived here for a few years, & am now looking forward to moving back up North! I really miss the Northern winters, although I know that's not a popular opinion. While we are used to living in a remote area, I am hoping to perhaps be a little less isolated in our new environment. Anyhow, I am just looking for honest opinions & maybe a bit of advice. I have been researching the state, & it seems to have a lot of very rural areas, that are touristy and expensive...& many retirement communities. The thriving areas seem to be centered around schools, such as Dartmouth in Hanover, or Keene, etc. I love Portsmouth, but I am not interested in living on the coast. We found some very nice property in Meredith...but again, it seemed to have a lot of retirees and people who only summer in the area. I am fine with having some privacy, & some land, but I at least want to be close enough to civilization and a thriving town/community so that my girls can have a variety of things to do, & so that we can all meet new people. Also, I'd like to not be stuck in the middle of nowhere, & not have access to plowed roads, and stores, etc. If you have any advice on places that would fit the bill, I would welcome the opinions and appreciate it a great deal! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 06:49 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times
Without knowing your work/income situation, I assume that if you have two under 5 years old, schools would be high on your list of priorities?

Amherst, Bedford and Pinkerton Academy are all very good SD's, not on the coast and not isolated at all. Maybe you can start with researching those 3 and go from there. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:47 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
"I really miss the Northern winters, although I know that's not a popular opinion."

The people that don't like winter and complain about it puzzle those of us that enjoy the season. Why do they live here if the weather makes them miserable for part of the year... Ski, sled, snowshoe, or something. Otherwise, it is a long dark cold winter....

As for a place to live, check out Mont Vernon which shares its schools from 7 - 12 with Amherst NH. Also, Brookline NH, which sends its kids to the Hollis Brookline high school. Very nice towns with more of a rural feel but not all that far from stores....

And the towns in NH are wicked good at plowing the snow...

Old 01-12-2016, 04:21 PM

Thank you so much for your feedback! Yes, schools are a factor, but more so for the resale value of the property. My girls are only 3 and 1, right now. I am planning to purchase a home, rather than rent, because I feel it's important for the girls to have a place to call their own, (& personally I just despise renting, and feel it is such a waste of money). I'm not very familiar with the different areas of NH, so initially my goal is just to find a safe place where the girls & I can get started in the state of NH, & acclimate...maybe meet some nice people...all the while getting to know the area a little better, & looking for prospective places within the state to put down roots. That being said, I'm not 100% sure that we will stay wherever we start out; we may very well move again within a year or 2...albeit within the state...if we find a town/city that we love!

Old 01-12-2016, 04:30 PM

I agree, about wintertime! I can't wait to move back up North; I miss having 4 full seasons, & snow at Christmas time. I lived in Quebec for a while, so I know what I'm getting myself into. And I'm looking forward to building a snowman with my girls, (which is something they have never had the privilege of doing, due to the lack of snow down here in the South)! Down here, everything turns brown and grey in the winter, & it's not very pretty. At least the snow blankets everything in white and makes for some beautiful scenery. Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely look into the towns that you mentioned in your post, & I apologize if I'm not replying to posts properly...I am new at this!

Old 01-12-2016, 04:55 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebirds3 View Post
but more so for the resale value of the property. My girls are only 3 and 1, right now. I am planning to purchase a home, rather than rent,
Stated time and time again here.
Rent for the first year before purchasing.

There is story after story after story here of people buying a nice home in the wrong area or a buying a home that does not sell when needed. And taking a major loss when selling.

But it is your money so go for it.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:20 PM

639 posts, read 579,747 times
Any towns not north of the white mnts are close to civilization, for the most part. Goggle maps and look at the area close to highways but a little outside city's. you'll find plenty.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:25 PM

37 posts, read 50,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Stated time and time again here.
Rent for the first year before purchasing.

There is story after story after story here of people buying a nice home in the wrong area or a buying a home that does not sell when needed. And taking a major loss when selling.

But it is your money so go for it.
Yes! I second this idea. When we first move to NH (and mind you, DH actually grew up here), we thought we knew what we wanted. We were so sure, we had lists, we made lists of pros/cons, priorities, etc., etc.

Well, what we thought we wanted turned out to be what we would never in a million years recommend to anybody.

I'm really glad that we rented, so no commitments were made.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:09 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Where will you be working?

Old 01-12-2016, 06:34 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
Any towns not north of the white mnts are close to civilization, for the most part. Goggle maps and look at the area close to highways but a little outside city's. you'll find plenty.
Google Maps is your best friend. You can go to street view and zoom in on any house or area you are interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire