Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 10:49 AM

248 posts, read 805,226 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating in the next year to NH... we are coming from a small town of about 6,000 and are looking for the same in NH. I've been there a few times, but am now looking to relocate around or further north of Concord. The reading I've done on this forum, makes me feel that south of Concord is more like Massachusetts , but when I was visiting, that was not the feeling I got at all... so I'm not sure where to look. I was wondering if anyone had any advise where we could pinpoint our search, when we visit next time around.

Here are somethings that we are looking for:
* good school district
* common plot size 1 - 3 acres
* country living with small town feel
But still have a few grocery stores and a go to store if you need something
* We love the mountians, but I do realize that that is further north than we want...so a good view would be great!
* Not afraid of water - lake, river, my husband & I love to fish.
* We love the outdoors - camping, hunting and quadding are some of our favorite actitivites.
* I know that taxes are high and that comes with the school, but we would like to live somewhere where the taxes are not VERY high )

I look forward to any recommondations that you have to offer. Thank you and if you have any questions for me, please feel free to ask!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 05:53 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,308 times
I would consider West and and Northwest of Concord. Try traveling a few secondary roads such as Rt. 114 or Rt. 202 in the area of Hopkinton, Contoocook, Weare, Dunbarton, or Henniker . Bradford or the Warner area may be a bit out for you depending on the amount you wish to travel. Hopkinton and Weare have state parks for your off road fun. And they also have flood water retention dams and plenty of areas for fishing. You may even try a little North such as Penacook or Pembroke along Rt. 3 or places like Pittsfield or Barnstead along Rt. 28. Just check the tax rates and the population charts first and it may narrow your search for you. Hope it helps.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 AM

Default Thank you!

Jthibodeau, I will definitely do my research in those towns. Thank you so much for your reply, every little bit helps! Do you know anything about the school systems up in that area? Do you think we could find what we are looking for south of Concord?

We are all the way out in WA state, so visiting NH and getting the most of our trip is of the most importance. Thank you again for your response!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,308 times
Although I've been out of the school loop for some time, most of the local schools are within these smaller towns or are a coop with the neighboring town, depending on the town size. I would venture a guess that most if not all of these schools are just fine. You may be able to locate a town south of Concord that fits your needs. You may just have to travel a bit more for your job. Try Mont Vernon, Lynborough, Wilton or Hollis. To stay within your 6000 population requirements, you may have to travel further West of Rt. 93 where as towns to the east tend to be more populated.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:53 AM

24 posts, read 47,636 times
Try the Belmont area north of Concord. The Lakes region. Very nice and well funded schools. Property on the water is premium. NH is all about being on the water. If not a house then at least a summer property.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:55 PM

Ahhnrey, Thank you for recommending Belmont! We will definitely do our research on that - do you know anything about that area personally? Thank you again!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:33 PM

132 posts, read 350,732 times
One of the members on the board lives in Belmont. Katlakat. Search her posts. She will probably check the board soon and respond or you can DM her. We stayed in Loudon last week so the kids could play in the snow and we were about 10 mins from downtown Concord even with all the snow.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:02 PM

24 posts, read 47,636 times
It's been 5 years now. Most of what I knew has probably changed. They're still tax rebels! Although property taxes are high. (Clear because of popular sessions of complaining.) In my opinion, they have their money's worth. The roads, and various infrastructures are well maintained. Concord "is a nice town" in the truest since of that phrase. Boston and really the entire metro maze of the eastern sea board is a short drive away.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,226 times
I grew up in Barnstead and went to high school in Pittsfield. Both towns are definitely on the small side of what you described - Barnstead doesn't have any stores or restaurants other than a few country stores to get your morning coffee or emergency supplies. However, we are so used to going to Concord that the 35 minute trip doesn't seem like anything any more. It is not like you are dealing with traffic like you are in big city suburbs, so I think that makes a difference, at least to me. The nice thing about being South East of Concord is that you also have fairly easy access to the Seacoast area as well - as long as you don't mind the back roads!

Pittsfield is a little larger and has a small grocery store downtown. They used to have a small movie theater, but I am not sure if it is still there. There are a couple of diners and take-out places downtown.

I can't say too much about the school systems, although Barnstead built a high school with neighboring Alton within the last five years. I do have to say that Pittsfield was not considered a great school when I went to it - but I was accepted into an Ivy League school and I did very well in college. I still believe that it is the student and the parents that make the difference, not the school itself. JMHO

Old 03-09-2008, 02:20 PM

12 posts, read 22,927 times
Red face wow head is spinning

Ok here it is goes. We are now living in Mi.It is horrible here for jobs. But guess you probaby have hard that from other people from mi. Hubby and i are interested in moving to concord area. So what are the jobs like around the area.He was in retail sales in the automotive field. Also what are the jobs like for electricians? If someone can answer sure would appericate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire