Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 03:43 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I don't plan on living more than 15 miles. So it might be a good idea to get snows. I was told Dover would be a good commute to Portsmouth.
If you feel more comfortable with the snows, then I would go for it. I know a lot of people who do the reverse commmute-live in Portsmouth and work in Dover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 03:46 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradRun View Post
It's warmer, and less snow than last year.
Warmer? I looked at the data and it appears that January 2009 was much colder than January 2008. The other months so far this winter have been within a couple degrees of average or less.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:04 PM

19 posts, read 44,570 times
Dont feel bad. Its crappy everywhere,

Here in Minnesota, I woke up to -10 today and its march 12. what the?

Old 03-12-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinForEleven View Post
Dont feel bad. Its crappy everywhere,

Here in Minnesota, I woke up to -10 today and its march 12. what the?
Eh, it was -33F up in Longville, MN according to the obs station there. Occasionally, it can get that cold here in northern NH in March, but it doesn't happen very often.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Eh, it was -33F up in Longville, MN according to the obs station there. Occasionally, it can get that cold here in northern NH in March, but it doesn't happen very often.
Are winters in NH generally warmer than Chicago or upstate NY (Buffalo)?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
Quote:
I don't plan on living more than 15 miles. So it might be a good idea to get snows. I was told Dover would be a good commute to Portsmouth.
It is a nice and very scenic commute. I've been doing it for more than a year now from Madbury (just S. of Dover). However, in the summer and autumn Friday evenings, and in any kind of precipitation the bridges over great/little bay get backed up. Nothing like a Los Angeles commute mind, but it can add 20 mins to a 15 min trip.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
NH winters are similar to WI in terms of temperatures. NH is solidly in the snowbelt, however. The average is around 65 inches for most of the central and southern portions of the state at lower elevations. This winter and the past winter, over 200 inches of snow have fallen. This quantity of snow is not typical.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:32 AM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
Quote:
I'm orginally from Chicago, and although it's been a long time I feel that winter here is not quite as harsh, although overall snowfall is more. The wind in Chicago was just so cutting. Now I may be biased because I spent of lot of time trudging to and from the el, whereas here I'm ducking into a car, but I don't need earmuffs like I did back then. My pastor lived in MN until a few years ago, and he agrees with me re: midwest vs. N England. If you're old enough to remember the TV commercials on cold remedies that were set in Buffalo, I'm sure there was a reason for that.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:32 PM

53 posts, read 130,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
NH winters are similar to WI in terms of temperatures...
Okay, that's what I thought, but it's funny -- I got into quite a a discussion with a couple of people from Wisconsin about decisions to cancel school during cold weather. I think of folks from Wisconsin as being pretty hardy. Yet when it was -15 or so there, they canceled school for two days in a row. We were -35 up here, and there wasn't a single school in the state that canceled (granted it was warmer -15 maybe? -- in the southern part of the state).

Anyway, my friends from Wisconsin were insistent that we were irresponsible here not to cancel school. I looked back at January, and we were colder than -10 sixteen different days. We'd be going to school through mid-July if we canceled every cold snap.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:58 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
I live in WI one winter and it was brutal. The temp went below zero and stayed there for three weeks. At least with New England, the ocean makes the weather get colder and warmer... I lived another winter in Montreal (great city) and it was like Wisconsin....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire