Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 05:39 PM

132 posts, read 356,430 times

Advertisements

and anyone else in the education field.

We are planning on moving to NH in the next several years and I am currently in the medical field(as is DH). I would like to, however, get into working for the local school system once we make the move. We have 4 small children and I would love to have a similar schedule as them so DH can work the day shift again(right now we work opposite shifts so one of us is home with the kids).

1. How hard is it to get a job in the school system? Right now I am thinking a teacher's aide or wouldn't mind even working in the office. If I like it, I can always pursue my teaching degree.

2. Are there any certain certifications or college courses required to work in NH schools(looking at starting positions to begin with). Can I do some class work here in CA or is it specific to NH?

3. How about job experience? Can I get hired there if I do classwork here and then transfer or do I need hands on experience also to start?

4. Anyone familiar with the Catholic school system and about getting hired in? Our kids will attend Catholic school here and we want to continue once we get there.

I'm sure I'll have more questions about it but would like to get started with classes and certs if I will need them. Also want to get an idea of how easy/hard it will be to pursue a career in education there.

Thanks!!!

Cindy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 08:17 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
I know Berlin has a catholic school and the school systems are always in need of teachers and aids. The schools are pretty good up here comparing to where i came from in Florida. Here's a link to the job openings so you get an idea of openings and where they are.
TeachNorth.org :: Careers :: New Hampshire's North Country Initiative for Teacher Recruitment

Old 07-12-2008, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the link. A great place to start looking.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:19 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,368 times
What a coincidence, just yesterday we saw a bulletin board up along the side of the road in front of the grammar school over in Greenland, NH., that they need an aide for this upcoming year. Check that out may be? That is, IF you wanted to be on the seacoast of NH eventually to live. There's Sacred Heart's grammar school in Hampton and St. Thomas Aquinas HS in Dover, both fantastic parochial schools, I know because my nieces & nephews went to them! Although St. Thomas is evidently non-denominational, whatever, it's still quite a good school just the same!

Check the Hampton Union or the Seacoast online site for these type of jobs, this time of year we always see them listed there:

Seacoast Online - The Source for Seacoast New Hampshire and Southern Maine

Good luck!

Old 07-13-2008, 05:42 AM

311 posts, read 995,796 times
Here's a link to Catholic schools in New Hampshire.

Have you considered homeschooling? There's a HUGE homeschool community in New Hampshire. I didn't do it, but I know of LOTS of people who do.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:33 PM

Thank you so much. Great ideas and places to look into. I will call some of the schools once school starts and ask what qualifications they require- that way I can start getting ready for our move and my new career!! Such exciting times await us.

PS: Have thought of homeschooling as an option and will leave it open. Actually we are leaving public school open also as an option as NH appears to have a great school system. Guess we will figure it all out when we get there but it is nice to research everything in plenty of time before we head out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire