Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:36 PM

586 posts, read 1,507,458 times

Advertisements

Well - to update anyone that cares :-) turns out I *am* picky after all. :-D I had decided I wanted a little lakefront cottage/cabin -- not easy to find at the last minute unless you
want to drive 4 hours. So we stayed home and took day trips -- yesterday we went up to the Notches. We hiked the Flume which was beautiful and a bit crowded, though nothing like crowds we are used to in Maryland so we didn't mind too much. I suspect that will change soon. :-) We had lunch at Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill -- the oatmeal buttermilk pancakes were *awesome* -- and it wasn't a bad deal for a family of 4, though somewhat overpriced for pancakes ihmo. Not-so-on-the-way back we tried to go to the Hot Air Balloon festival in Pittstown near Concord but the weather wasn't cooperating for balloon flights so we only stayed a very short time as there wasn't much else we were interested in.

Today we stayed local and went to a PYO blueberry farm, took the kids fishing at one of the local lakes, and I made a quick stop at my favorite farm for some veggies. Then we came home and I made a (hopefully) delicious summer vegetable gratin for supper and the kids helped me make a blueberry pie.

~NDQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 03:44 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,044,516 times
Glad you enjoyed the Flume. I just love the Notch! Yeah, it's pretty hard to find a cabin available on short notice - most things get booked up early.

Hey, if you want pancakes... and you're ever down the southern end... try Parkers Maple Barn in Mason - not too far from Pickety Place

Old 08-03-2008, 06:26 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,253,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
Well - to update anyone that cares :-) turns out I *am* picky after all. :-D I had decided I wanted a little lakefront cottage/cabin -- not easy to find at the last minute unless you
want to drive 4 hours. So we stayed home and took day trips -- yesterday we went up to the Notches. We hiked the Flume which was beautiful and a bit crowded, though nothing like crowds we are used to in Maryland so we didn't mind too much. I suspect that will change soon. :-) We had lunch at Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill -- the oatmeal buttermilk pancakes were *awesome* -- and it wasn't a bad deal for a family of 4, though somewhat overpriced for pancakes ihmo. Not-so-on-the-way back we tried to go to the Hot Air Balloon festival in Pittstown near Concord but the weather wasn't cooperating for balloon flights so we only stayed a very short time as there wasn't much else we were interested in.
Today we stayed local and went to a PYO blueberry farm, took the kids fishing at one of the local lakes, and I made a quick stop at my favorite farm for some veggies. Then we came home and I made a (hopefully) delicious summer vegetable gratin for supper and the kids helped me make a blueberry pie.

~NDQ
I see what you mean "not so on the way back". Thats quite a ways from Sugar Hill to Pittsfield.I remember going to the balloon festival years ago. It used to be quite an event. It was always a good time.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:49 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,181,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post

~NDQ
NDQ - It sounds like you had a good time, and that's what counts! How was your vegetable gratin and blueberry pie?.....Now I'm hungry!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:32 PM

586 posts, read 1,507,458 times
The gratin was pretty good, and the blueberry pie was deemed by my kids to be "almost as good as Grandma's" -- which is a high compliment as my MIL is the BEST pie baker in the world!

This past weekend we went hiking again and had a picnic in a nearby state park, took the kids to the King Arthur Flour Factory Store, spent some time in Heaven (aka the Lebanon Coop Store), and bought my older daughter her long-awaited bunk bed -- from a fabulous local furniture maker 2 miles up the street from us! I LOVE that about NH...I am *so* impressed with the Buy Local focus up here. I have been at my local farm 3-5 times a week for veggies - I can't believe how cheap they are (much cheaper than the farm market, though I love that, too!) Oh, and we took advantage of the end of season sales and bought a used kayak. Now we can take turns taking both kids out while the other catches a break and reads Lakeside.

I am a little scared about the winter -- I'm thinking I'll need a week's break somewhere by the end of January -- but we're planning on diving into winter fun head first with season passes to Mt. Sunapee.

I was pretty prepared for that infamous New England Cold Shoulder but everyone has been really lovely. My kids have made friends quickly and we've done a few things with kids and their parents. Too soon to say we've made friends here, but we've certainly been warmly welcomed and included in events, etc.

jackie

Old 08-19-2008, 07:51 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,253,560 times
I truly beleive that if someone gets the cold shoulder they probably deserve it. I beleive if you move to N.H. from somewhere else and really get to know the people before you start to tell them how things should be you'll get along ok.I also beleive if you dive right into winter activites you wont beleive how close to heaven N.H. actually is.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,455,025 times
Coming into this thread a bit late, but did I just read you've sold your house (yes, i know, nearly a month ago...)notdancingqueen?
CONGRATS!!!! That's huge!

Old 08-20-2008, 07:07 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,145,422 times
midcoast Maine should be really nice for you....

I'm leaving friday for Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor. We have a cottage on the bay that has been in the family since 1938.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:12 PM

758 posts, read 2,891,148 times
Have you made it to the coast yet? Portsmouth or Newburyport are great places (even though one is in mass....ewww). Acadia is tops on my list of anywhere in the country let alone NE, Portland is a fun town too. Hit up N. Conway before the peeper show up in droves too.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 PM

120 posts, read 786,026 times
Question Airport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta View Post
Thanks so much for those links. My gosh I love northern NH!! I was just up at the Mt. Washington resort about a month ago. Now they are charging people to visit the grounds if they just want to hang out for the day without actually paying for an overnight stay. Those photos, with Mt. Washington in the background, are awesome! The last trip I took with my bf before he passed away included a trip up the Cog Railway!

Don't forget a little further north - The Balsams!!

New Hampshire Ski Resort - New England Ski Resort | The Balsams

It's close enough to Pittsburg for a trip up to Moose Alley or the Connecticut Lakes. On your way up you can picnic at Beaver Brook Falls in Colebrook.

http://granitestateenterprises.com/Lucky%20Guy%20WebPage/Beaver%20Brook%20Falls.JPG (broken link)

There are some places in Pittsburg that offer vacation wildlife/fishing/scenic tours packages with overnight lodging.
Asta, If we were to fly in to NH to go to a place like the Balsams, where is the closest commercial airport that we could fly in to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire