Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:45 AM

85 posts, read 249,820 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there are many halloween activities in New Hampshire and where? A lot of trick or treating? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Halloween is really handled on a town by town basis. Some cities in MA had tried years ago to ban trick-or-treat by not announcing a set day/time. That led to residents taking matters into their own hands (yay!) and deciding within neighborhoods when it would be held. Word gets around, and trick-or-treaters prevailed.

In NH, some towns don't have alot of walkable neighborhoods (long country roads not conducive to kids walking around in the dark for trick or treat). I've heard of some parents driving kids house to house, seems that would sort of take some of the fun out... You might check into the elementary schools, town hall, etc. for Halloween parties. Best bet for trick-or-treat is of course neighborhoods where you can safely walk house to house

For festivals and various activities for everyone, young and old, here is a great website that has lots of info (year round) WhoFish.org - Local Events and Activities

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabear View Post
I was wondering if there are many halloween activities in New Hampshire and where? A lot of trick or treating? Thanks

Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 PM

562 posts, read 659,741 times
It's my favorite holiday... Would be cool to have a haunted hay ride in a wagon with hay which could go down the roads and stop at each house letting the kids jump off to trick or treat and then on down to the next and so on... It could even lead to a festival held downtown afterwards.... The possibilities are endless

Old 08-08-2007, 05:14 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,016 times
Halloween is also my favorite holiday Torrey. I own more totes of decor for October season than Christmas. I see more and more stores selling less and less fun things to display for Halloween. So I went back to making my own giant 25 foot spider to crawl down the side of my house, and bought old doors with rusty knobs that open to brick walls and other crazy things.

A hay ride is a great idea! And much more fun than driving your kids around on the trick or treat nights. The neighborhoods were so big and spread out in N. Dallas, that people quit walking anymore. /sob

I'd even donate hay and dress up to go with them! Help supervise or shaperone so parents could do what they like-I hope I don't have to have kids to want to enjoy their night of fun with them. All that giggling is hard to resist!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
Halloween is also my favorite holiday Torrey. I own more totes of decor for October season than Christmas. I see more and more stores selling less and less fun things to display for Halloween. So I went back to making my own giant 25 foot spider to crawl down the side of my house, and bought old doors with rusty knobs that open to brick walls and other crazy things.

A hay ride is a great idea! And much more fun than driving your kids around on the trick or treat nights. The neighborhoods were so big and spread out in N. Dallas, that people quit walking anymore. /sob

I'd even donate hay and dress up to go with them! Help supervise or shaperone so parents could do what they like-I hope I don't have to have kids to want to enjoy their night of fun with them. All that giggling is hard to resist!
My mother had all kinds of cool Halloween decorations. She is getting alzheimers, and is now in a home for people with this problem. My brother thinks Halloween is satanic, and of all people, he is the person who has my mothers posessions in his storage. I hope he didn't throw her decorations away, I'd like to have them. Some are obviously irreplaceable.

I don't have a great relationship with my brother because he's christian and I am not. Oh well, I'll be trying to get those things the next time I get back home. (I am in Louisiana waiting to go out on another diving job at the moment).

I think I would donate as well on a Hay ride sort of thing.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:41 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
My mother had all kinds of cool Halloween decorations. She is getting alzheimers, and is now in a home for people with this problem. My brother thinks Halloween is satanic, and of all people, he is the person who has my mothers posessions in his storage. I hope he didn't throw her decorations away, I'd like to have them. Some are obviously irreplaceable.

I don't have a great relationship with my brother because he's christian and I am not. Oh well, I'll be trying to get those things the next time I get back home. (I am in Louisiana waiting to go out on another diving job at the moment).

I think I would donate as well on a Hay ride sort of thing.

Good luck Torrey in getting your mothers decorations. I love Halloween. I am 45 and still havent out grown it. There are so many kids that trick or treat where I live, I love it. My husband, my kids and I usually do some sort of haunted house every year. We have a blast. I was wondering too if the kids get to trick or treat with the homes being so spread out there. And if they did, how did they go about it. Also can anyone tell me has it ever snowed on Halloween??

Old 08-15-2007, 05:59 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,016 times
When I lived there, I don't recall any snow that early. However, one night got so cold, I had to wear long johns and tights under my halloween costume. I went from Tinkerbell to Longjohn bell. LOL

Old 08-15-2007, 09:49 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
I can't remember it actually snowing, but Halloween is usually pretty chilly (40's - 50's), and costumes are created keeping heavy clothing in mind for trick-or-treaters... Last year was an unusually warm Halloween, and we all enjoyed being out there without bulky clothing under our costumes!

Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 PM

We like to dress up on Halloween. I also like to decorate my house inside and out. I usually would start in September getting ready.

Bring on the cool weather. Texas is HOT right now. Tarastomsgirl I bet you are loving the cooler weather of the north right now. Better go get yourself a nice fleece jacket and gore-tex shell for the winter though. Oh and some snow boots

Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,660 times
2nd Annual Great Pumpkin Halloween party is the biggest and best Halloween event in New Hampshire! Check out BeerEncounters.com for info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire