Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 04:29 PM

176 posts, read 599,029 times

Advertisements

Drove to Manchester today. I actually liked it more than I thought I would. Lots of people out and about, seemed like there was a lot of shops and stores too. The one thing I disliked was that there isn't really a "downtown," just Elm Street. Other than that, I was impressed! Here are the pictures
Enjoy

The tallest building in Northern New England according to Wikipedia

Views of going down Elm Street

I love these!

Very large circle building

City Hall

I had not seen this building in pictures online...musta been 15-16 stories?

Somewhat sketchy store we stopped in

Across the river (sorry for the line on the windshield)

My favorite picture, I like the skyline in this more than it really is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 05:13 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,147,863 times
the 'circle' building is the Center of NH - hotels and shops to complement the Verizon center across the street - surprised you did not get a picture of that.

Underneath that is City Hall, and underneath that is the Brady Sullivan towers. That used to be the New Hampshire Insurance building.

the tall black building is owned by Public Service of NH and is home to various lawyers and the Internal Revenue Service.

the store you visited is located on Hanover St. and you're right...it's kinda' shady. Behind it, the yellow brick building is the old cathollic hospital. It was converted to an old folk's home when Notre Dame merged and became Catholic Medical center, now located on the west side.

the Citizens Bank building is one of the oldest buildings in Manchester and once upon a time, it was the Amoskeag Bank.

the brick buildings with the arched doorways located on the north end are a series of professional buildings and you're right. They are lovely.

You have some great shots of the millyard.

The downtown area doesn't really exist any more like it did in the old days, although the city puts on some great concerts in the summer in Victory Park (across the circle building).

Most of the shopping areas are now located on South Willow St. in the area of the Mall of NH.

Glad you had a good trip.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:22 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,147,863 times
I remember when the mural was painted on the side of that building, but I can't for the life of me, remember the artist.

It appears the building needs some serious repairs.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:38 PM

That park by the circle building was a great little park!

I was very impressed with the millyard. It was huge!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:25 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,212,884 times
i ride by that ocean building every day on the way to work.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:58 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,548,664 times
Gonna have some pics up today, but in the mean time if you havent been here yet
PHOTOGRAPHS - History and Genealogy of Manchester NH

Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 AM

Next time you are in the area stop by here

SEE Science Center : SEE Science Center

and see the Leggo Millyard

Old 02-22-2009, 10:09 AM

12,930 posts, read 22,099,591 times
lookingforahome- Always love your photo tours. I also have a soft spot for Manch as I have friends and family there and I enjoy it a bunch. It's a gritty little city at times, but it's coming along well.

The one street "downtown" thing seems to be common among some of the more industrial towns and late bloomers in New England. I grew up near Fall River, MA (pop. 92,000) and downtown Fall River is essentially what's built up along Main Street (with a few exceptions). Elm Street in Manchester is similar to this (though Elm Street and Manchester in general is much nicer). Springfield Mass has a similar setup as well.

Actually, while Portland Maine has the Old Port area which really acts as a section of downtown; Downtown Portland is really built mostly along Congress Street (though it's called the "Arts District"). My girlfriend who grew up in Portland calls Congress Street, "Main Street Portland." It's funny going a block off of Congress onto Cumberland and seeing the difference in setup and style... it's so close, but a far cry from the wall to wall development along congress.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:14 AM

Some Manchester pics from today
A view of the buildings you saw from my parking lot

Reflections

The city hall building is on the historic buildings register

Political mural, before it closed this place was the hub of several presidental primaries

Lalas Hungarian pastry shop window display
Vampire wine

Castros cigar shop

That former hospital on Hanover street was called Sacred Heart, my father died there.

Last edited by CrazyDave; 02-22-2009 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Making correct ( thanks Buck)

Old 02-22-2009, 10:44 AM

I wanted to get a picture of that mirror building (or maybe its not that one, but there was one I liked) but I was unable too. It's too bad its not say...20 stories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire