Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:57 PM

31 posts, read 66,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamien View Post
From your requirements the first town that comes to mind is certainly Portsmouth, especially with the proximity to the beach in that price range with a small yard. Greenland and Hampton Falls would be right up there as recommendations as well. Seabrook and North Hampton are fine too, though they seem more built-up-along-the-strip sort of places, if that means anything. Exeter is a nice little town; it definitely has its own character and space, so not at all a suburb of Portsmouth.

When considering a town, you may find it useful to Google for the town center and bring that up in StreetView on Google Maps.

Let me add that after you've flown out of Logan for a while, you may find flying out of Manchester appealing.
Thanks mdamien. I haven't done the Google thing yet, but I'll give that a try. Have they done the small NH towns yet for the Streetview? I know they hit the major cities, but I thought small towns, which is mostly what NH is, were not done.

Good point about flying into and out of Logan. For now, the direct, nonstop flights from the west coast are what is appealing. I hate layovers and connecting flights. I'd drive an extra bit and put up with the hassle instead of changing planes, and investing the extra time in the terminal waiting. If I can keep moving on the interstate after just 1 flight, I'll do it. I'll have to play it by ear, and see how feasible it may or may not be in flying into and out of Boston.

Although we are trying to get away from the hustle and bustle of crowded, packed in cities and suburbs, my wife and I still enjoy the occaisional trip to the big city. We were both born and raised in the city, and there are certain elements of the city that we still like, but on a quick visit, such as restaurans, shows, NFL NBA and MLB games. We don't want to be so far away that it wouldn't be feasible to drive down and back in the same day. We don't want to have to get a hotel every time we would travel into Boston, although, we forsee 2 or 3 day geatways to Boston every now and then (such as a Sox/Yankees series at Fenway). We currently are a bit more than an hour from SF, and that seems like a good distance to be from Boston, give or take a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
From the southern Lakes Region to Downtown Boston it is over an hour and thirty minutes. To get to the outskirts it is a little over an hour. It depends how much you value urban amenities and how much you value close proximity to those amenities. I tend to value paying lower property taxes because I don't place a big priority on having access to urban amenities all the time. In NH local taxation levels are highly variable depending on what the populace wants to fund or not fund. Unfortunately, I don't live in NH due to employment elsewhere, but it sounds like you may prefer the Seacoast part of the state. Do you prefer a bit more of a built up environment featuring higher density or a greater degree of ruralness relatively speaking?

GS
GraniteStater, the southern Lakes Region is still workable, and my wife and I both like the quality of life that the area looks like it will provide, as well as all of NH from our west coast vantage point. I am glad you suggested the area, because prior to this thread, we were not considering that area at all, and now we are. We still would like to be a bit closer to Boston, but the the Southern Lakes Region is still being heavily considered.

Although we are not independently wealthy, we are comfortable and the taxation rates are not really an issue or determining factor. We are already paying for the priveledge of living in CA, which is still way more costly than the most exspensive areas that NH has to offer. Pretty much any move to NH or ME would be a considerable savings to us.

One thing I haven't mentioned before is I do have a passion for photography. So part of my influence is from the Seacoast areas and the ports and harbors and coastline and that goes with it is in my camera's viewfinder. I will be spending lots more time exploring the East Coast, NE, winter landscapes, Acadia, The Cape, etc., with photography in mind. I'm not a pro and won't be a pro in retirement, but that is my hobby and passion, and it is what I will be doing in lieu of not having to work any more. Plus my wife doesn't want me around 24/7 so I gotta get out and do something. So that is another reason I wanted to keep nearer the coast.

Thanks again for your ideas, much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
photography? aw man! just look at the pics Fishnfool, Verseau and Crazy Dave have taken on their hikes and drives around the state. You don't need to live near the coast to find things worth taking pics of! You might check out the picture thread, it's very impressive. k:

Old 03-11-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
photography? aw man! just look at the pics Fishnfool, Verseau and Crazy Dave have taken on their hikes and drives around the state. You don't need to live near the coast to find things worth taking pics of! You might check out the picture thread, it's very impressive. k:
Thanks for the comment, WannaComeHome. I knew I'd get a response similar to yours from somebody. No, I'm not ignoring the rest of the state. I plan to go all over, but my starting point is gonna be at or near the coast, eventually venturing to points north, south, and west. The home near the coast is my base, but I'll be all over. And yes, I've been perusing the picture thread, both of NH and ME. That's one of the first things I did here. I know I can find pics anywhere, and I do. I could probably find and create an interesting photo sitting right here at my desk. But I want to explore and shoot things I've already seen in visits, and heard about but never been to. Don't worry, I'll make it to other parts of NH as well.

You gotta remember, even the wildest, most congested, crazy parts of southern NH by your standards, are a serene vacation by my standards, where I come from and what I have to deal with daily. While the Seacoast and the Southern NH may be too urbanized, if you there is such a thing, it's light years from what I'm living in. Remember, NH's total state population is barely 1.3 million. I work in the Bay Area, popualtion, conservatively 6.5 million, 5 times the entire population of NH. I live near Sacrmento, population: nearly 2 million for the area.

Its all relative. The seacoast, and mildly populated NH areas are still quite quiet compared to our current home area.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:04 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxoccupancy View Post
Seabrook is certainly the least expensive of these places. The great thing about this particular town is that you can reach almost anything from here. I'm not trying to strong arm you, but I did a lot of research before choosing a seacoast town, and this one won almost every category.
When is the useful life of the nuclear plant in Seabrook over? Do you not have issues living close to the nuclear plant? I know for some people, that may be an issue.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:11 AM

137 posts, read 384,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVINGCALBYE View Post
Well cvlp, there are many reasons. I'm currently in the Sacramento area by the way, although a native and 30 year resident of San Francisco prior. Basically, we have just seen a continuing deterioration of CA, and it doesn't look like things will be getting better anytime soon.

To use a broad paintbrush, its the politics, the crime, the traffic and congestion, the economy, the language not spoken here, the additional restrictions being placed on us for the sake of PC issues. Although we have a bit more seasonal change up here, we also would like to live a true 4 seasons. I could go on and elaborate in specifics, but I think you get the idea.

If you like, I will, in private messages or email. Let me know.

My kids are finishing up high school in a couple of years, so we will soon be free to move around. We also realize that the grass may not be greener, but we gotta give it a try. If its not, we can always move back or elsewhere. But every time we visit other states, its a world of difference in most other places, when compared to CA.

Your reasons similar to mine? Thanks for the response.
Yes pretty much the same reasons. The deterioration of CA - YES!!
That kinda sums it all up

Old 04-13-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlp View Post
Yes pretty much the same reasons. The deterioration of CA - YES!!
That kinda sums it all up
So you and I kinda of have the same outlook about CA. You think I'm on the right track in terms of quality of life in general, looking at NH and New England in general? Where else might you be considering for your retiremen?, if you don't mind my asking.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,968 times
Thumbs up Go for it

So you ruined California by being a Liberal and now going to somewhere else to ruin that place too?

Old 10-10-2010, 12:34 PM

395 posts, read 458,698 times
Are you planning a trip out this way to see the area Leavingcalbye?

If your goal is to live in a nice small town near the coast and suitable for day trips to Boston I have two recommendations, one in Maine and one in NH.

Kingston, NH and Eliot Maine

Both are great places to live and would most likely provide everything you're looking for.

The great thing about living in New England (to some people) is that it is so condensed. If you chose to live in the coastal NH area or southern Maine you'd have a wide variety of options for daytrips, lakes in NH and Maine, a trip into Boston, a visit to the Berkshires, a night out in Portlands old port district, the Newport mansions in RI. You could even go to Vermont and socialize with the pretentious natives if you were so inclined. Maybe buy some maple syrup or something. God knows they don't have enough people hawking it there for way too much money. Like you can't get maple syrup in NH, Maine or MA right...........

Old 10-23-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne.Retired View Post
So you ruined California by being a Liberal and now going to somewhere else to ruin that place too?
I take your response/question as an assumption and as an accusation.

Your question is actually much of the reason why I will be leaving cal. as soon as I can after retiring.

I'm a native and life long resident of that country. Retiring is my opportunity to leave that country, and move to the United States of America.....there are 49 of them......of which I prefer New Hampshire and Maine in particular, and New England in general, all the way down to the Mid Atlantic states and Virginia.

My thread was not intended to be a political one, so do you have any suggestions as they pertain to the original topic?

Old 10-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
Are you planning a trip out this way to see the area Leavingcalbye?

If your goal is to live in a nice small town near the coast and suitable for day trips to Boston I have two recommendations, one in Maine and one in NH.

Kingston, NH and Eliot Maine

Both are great places to live and would most likely provide everything you're looking for.

The great thing about living in New England (to some people) is that it is so condensed. If you chose to live in the coastal NH area or southern Maine you'd have a wide variety of options for daytrips, lakes in NH and Maine, a trip into Boston, a visit to the Berkshires, a night out in Portlands old port district, the Newport mansions in RI. You could even go to Vermont and socialize with the pretentious natives if you were so inclined. Maybe buy some maple syrup or something. God knows they don't have enough people hawking it there for way too much money. Like you can't get maple syrup in NH, Maine or MA right...........
Thanks for the suggestions db77. I have considered both towns, in addition to other towns in those areas, and have done NNREN searches for both as well. They are on my list of areas to tour when I finally make the move. You confirm that coastal NH and southern Maine are what I suspected I was looking for.

Do you have any pros and cons to either of those towns? or any other nearby towns that fit the same category? It seems like there a dozens of small towns or cities that are within 10 miles of Kingston or Eliot that would fit also. I've been particularly interested in Dover, Portsmouth, and York. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire