Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:27 AM

31 posts, read 66,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlp View Post
Hello Leavingcalbye,

We, too are done with CA. We're in San Diego. Wondering what part of CA you are in and why you want to leave?
Us? We're done raising our kids, they're in college and we're not quite ready to retire but very tired of one season and just existing here to make ends meet instead of actually living.

How about you?

Thanks
Well cvlp, there are many reasons. I'm currently in the Sacramento area by the way, although a native and 30 year resident of San Francisco prior. Basically, we have just seen a continuing deterioration of CA, and it doesn't look like things will be getting better anytime soon.

To use a broad paintbrush, its the politics, the crime, the traffic and congestion, the economy, the language not spoken here, the additional restrictions being placed on us for the sake of PC issues. Although we have a bit more seasonal change up here, we also would like to live a true 4 seasons. I could go on and elaborate in specifics, but I think you get the idea.

If you like, I will, in private messages or email. Let me know.

My kids are finishing up high school in a couple of years, so we will soon be free to move around. We also realize that the grass may not be greener, but we gotta give it a try. If its not, we can always move back or elsewhere. But every time we visit other states, its a world of difference in most other places, when compared to CA.

Your reasons similar to mine? Thanks for the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxoccupancy View Post
I think that the town you're describing is Seabrook, where I live. It has the mildest climate in New Hampshire, is right on the ocean, has a $12.95 tax rate, low crime, is very quiet, and offers the quickest commute possible to Boston. In fact, the main selling point for Seabrook is that it's easy to get almost anywhere from here.

Seabrook is pretty reasonable and offers a relatively low cost of living. There are lots of bargain shops and local stores in the area. It is one of the best places in the country to retire to, though not a lot of people know about it because it has just under 10,000 people, so it doesn't show up on most maps.

Thanks maxxoccupancy, I've been checking on Seabrook. It defininitely is in a great location: great proximity to the interstate, Boston, Manchester, Portsmouth, and Southern Maine. I'll see what there is on NNEREN.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Good towns with lower taxes would include: Wakefield, Wolfeboro, Alton, etc. All of those towns are nice with a variety of housing types and prices. All are less than an hour from the coast. Remember to look in a rural wooded area away from the lake to get the best benefit on the equalized tax rate in these towns... The current use policy for land is an excellent feature to know about.
GraniteStater, you are right about the housing prices and taxes. They are significantly lower than the coastal area, after a visit at NNEREN. Definitely an area to consider.

How diffiicult would it be to make a day trip to Boston for say dinner out? Distance wise, by my calculations, roughly an 1.5 hour drive, give or take, in ideal weather. How far off am I? And how diffirent would the trip be in the winter?

Old 03-06-2010, 04:33 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,625,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVINGCALBYE View Post
GraniteStater, you are right about the housing prices and taxes. They are significantly lower than the coastal area, after a visit at NNEREN. Definitely an area to consider.

How diffiicult would it be to make a day trip to Boston for say dinner out? Distance wise, by my calculations, roughly an 1.5 hour drive, give or take, in ideal weather. How far off am I? And how diffirent would the trip be in the winter?
Many towns in the Lakes Region have good local restaurants and shops as well. Wolfeboro has its own hospital. It is about a 45 minute drive to Portsmouth and less to Rochester, (30-35 minutes which has all of the box stores). If you keep the square footage low on the housing end your property taxes will likely be lower as well. The eastern side of the Lakes Region generally has the most retirees as well. The west side of the Lakes Region has seen property taxes increase some over the past few years. (Meredith would be an example).

Old 03-06-2010, 07:56 PM

257 posts, read 619,745 times
Quote:
Thanks maxxoccupancy, I've been checking on Seabrook. It defininitely is in a great location: great proximity to the interstate, Boston, Manchester, Portsmouth, and Southern Maine. I'll see what there is on NNEREN.
I should hook you up with my real estate agent. She knows this town like the back of her hand. Seabrook is a really nice town, and one of the best for families and retirees, IMHO. It's certainly worth checking out.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:34 PM

7 posts, read 12,929 times
I'm biased having lived in a Seacoast town for 8 yrs, but you should definitely consider Portsmouth, Rye, N. Hampton, Stratham, and Exeter. The area has great recreation opportunities, history, shopping, arts and low crime as bonus.
Unlike inland NH it gets less snow in the winter, and is cooler in the summer. Just my two cents.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 PM

257 posts, read 619,745 times
Seabrook is certainly the least expensive of these places. The great thing about this particular town is that you can reach almost anything from here. I'm not trying to strong arm you, but I did a lot of research before choosing a seacoast town, and this one won almost every category.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Many towns in the Lakes Region have good local restaurants and shops as well. Wolfeboro has its own hospital. It is about a 45 minute drive to Portsmouth and less to Rochester, (30-35 minutes which has all of the box stores). If you keep the square footage low on the housing end your property taxes will likely be lower as well. The eastern side of the Lakes Region generally has the most retirees as well. The west side of the Lakes Region has seen property taxes increase some over the past few years. (Meredith would be an example).
Definitely a consideration GraniteStater. Still, how far a drive to Boston? That is a big factor for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxoccupancy View Post
I should hook you up with my real estate agent. She knows this town like the back of her hand. Seabrook is a really nice town, and one of the best for families and retirees, IMHO. It's certainly worth checking out.
It's probably a little soon right now for a real estate agent, but definitely in 4-5 years. Thanks for now maxxoccupancy. Is there medical/hospital nearby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNH View Post
I'm biased having lived in a Seacoast town for 8 yrs, but you should definitely consider Portsmouth, Rye, N. Hampton, Stratham, and Exeter. The area has great recreation opportunities, history, shopping, arts and low crime as bonus.
Unlike inland NH it gets less snow in the winter, and is cooler in the summer. Just my two cents.
Thanks SeaNH. Portsmouth has been a consideration as well. We liked it when we visited by need to spend more time there. I've also been reading alot of good things about Exeter. Do you have any opinions about Exeter? How would you rank the above towns, in your opinion? Would they be considered suburbs of Portsmouth?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:42 PM

193 posts, read 534,388 times
From your requirements the first town that comes to mind is certainly Portsmouth, especially with the proximity to the beach in that price range with a small yard. Greenland and Hampton Falls would be right up there as recommendations as well. Seabrook and North Hampton are fine too, though they seem more built-up-along-the-strip sort of places, if that means anything. Exeter is a nice little town; it definitely has its own character and space, so not at all a suburb of Portsmouth.

When considering a town, you may find it useful to Google for the town center and bring that up in StreetView on Google Maps.

Let me add that after you've flown out of Logan for a while, you may find flying out of Manchester appealing.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:54 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,625,443 times
Quote:
Definitely a consideration GraniteStater. Still, how far a drive to Boston? That is a big factor for us.

It's probably a little soon right now for a real estate agent, but definitely in 4-5 years. Thanks for now maxxoccupancy. Is there medical/hospital nearby?

Thanks SeaNH. Portsmouth has been a consideration as well. We liked it when we visited by need to spend more time there. I've also been reading alot of good things about Exeter. Do you have any opinions about Exeter? How would you rank the above towns, in your opinion? Would they be considered suburbs of Portsmouth?
From the southern Lakes Region to Downtown Boston it is over an hour and thirty minutes. To get to the outskirts it is a little over an hour. It depends how much you value urban amenities and how much you value close proximity to those amenities. I tend to value paying lower property taxes because I don't place a big priority on having access to urban amenities all the time. In NH local taxation levels are highly variable depending on what the populace wants to fund or not fund. Unfortunately, I don't live in NH due to employment elsewhere, but it sounds like you may prefer the Seacoast part of the state. Do you prefer a bit more of a built up environment featuring higher density or a greater degree of ruralness relatively speaking?

GS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire