Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:29 PM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

I know a number of people who are self-employed and retired in the Lakes Region. I took a job in another region of the country to further my career in the GIS/Geography realm, but would move back to NH in an instant if an opening came up in my career field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 06:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I agree, but some come with the idea live and let live means locals will help you when you fail at what ever.. We won't. You make a mess of life and NH is the last state you want to be in..

You were free to come try and earn a living here, and are as free to leave.

North of the 1/2 way line winter is a test and locals will let you live free and fail.

I was scoffed for saying this before, but it is what we do. New comers are indeed measured by winters.

This even happens to me, if I move to a different town. I think it's funny.

A running joke of mine is I used to live up nawth in bartlett and i moved south to tamworth because i just couldn't take the winters up there. As the crow flies thar's not 25 miles difference.

A new comer around here is likely to have some old geezer drive up, and park in the door yard, get out and then lean on his truck watching you at winter works.

Winters work has begun already, and will continue till winter comes. Some people call that harvest season. It was spitting snow here today.

Over the years I have seen big shots who fail in the city come to fail here. It happens. Pretty much if you fail in the city don't bother to come here to play big shot, because winter will eat you up and spit you out and you will leave.

We might even be hicks, but then we deal with winta'. No one will help you fail, but no one will help you make the cut either.

It can be a year before locals will even say hello. We don't like any investment in quiters, lackers or folks who won't pull their own boots on.

Now south of that 1/2 line i don't know.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:15 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Are you sayin' the Free Staters are conservitives? I find them anything but that.
The only times I've heard of the movement is on talk radio programs, but I understand that some are of a more libertarian bent with some extreme cases of this if wikipedia is to be believed.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:17 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
NH has much more of an old time conservative outlook. This means being fiscally responsible, self-sufficient, entreprenurial, and keeping spending low. The neoconservative movement and socially conservative movements that became so popular in other parts of the country do not fit in very well with that more fiscally conservative and conservation-minded outlook that is common in NH.
NH has a strong libertarian streak and tends to be socially progressive. It is the "live and let live" attitude that seeks to be economically and socially inclusive for an overall high quality of life.
So a fiscal and social conservative wouldn't fit in well?

Old 05-10-2010, 03:05 AM

5 posts, read 10,701 times
don't forget that NH is an open carry state and has no seatbelt law

Old 05-10-2010, 05:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
It also does not require an adult, over 18, motorcyclist to wear a helmet. Yep. Live Free or die. It gives fools their right to be foolish.

Economically the State is digging its way out of the spending hole created by the off the books extravagance of our last Republican governor. Benson bankrupted his private company and nearly did the same to the State. He was a neocon their of the highest order. He took care of his friends at the cost to the rest of us.

In my part of the state near Massachusetts the cost of living is 120+% of the national average mostly due to high house prices and higher property taxes. I have not checked the COL for the North country. BTY not all of the people in the North Country will not help people through the winter. Some may be callus but not everyone would let a family freeze to death in the dark. Might leave them a bit chilly but not frozen.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:46 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
depends on what you mean by 'social conservative'. In NH, most believe in 'live and let live' as much as possible. If your type of social conservative goes against that, then you could be uncomfortable. There are many who are socially conservative as well. Just not, "Bible Belt" or GoergeWBush socially conservative (see what I mean? there's different types of socially conservative....). Now, fiscally conservative is always welcome!

Old 05-10-2010, 06:50 AM

46 posts, read 109,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I don't think that was the inference.

The suggestion seems to be that all comers are welcome, but proselytizing social conservatives and progressives alike might want to consider the fact that one person's "vocal activism" is another's "sound pollution".

Conservatives and progressives can most certainly fit in in New Hampshire, so long as they resist the urge to be of the politically evangelical variety.

Just realize that your cat is likely to be more impressed by your political enlightenment than your neighbor will be.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:26 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Benson left a surplus. It's easy to look up for anyone who takes the time.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:29 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Yeah chilly not frozen, but still you better be able to pull yer own boots on. I knew a family in hard times and still know others, but they do what they can. For them I will give cords of wood, free labor, and what ever i can, and I have, but they are not the high and might loosers from away, coming here to be somebody.

A big shot, that failed elsewhere will fail here and if he played big shot, won't get much of any help at all.

A lot of places that used to be here are gone... The big shots are gone too.

There is a kind of people that come here and find out thyings like that last big ice storm can be a problem. All you need to do is turn on the radio at a time like that.

They call in begging for help. Their foods are spoiling and out side the door is tons of ice! But they want someone to come and do something.

They call in to say they have no power (Duh) no one did, and say they are cold inside their homes. yeah well it was warm out in the day time and around here you need longies, and a sweater, maybe a coat and some boots.

I go camping in the mts at -40 and love it, no tent because thars no bugs, and I am no spring chick either. Cold is a matter of opinion. I never get cold, but I can get too hot in summer.

They come and say there is nothing to do, and the next thing ya know they build a mall, which i guess is something to do.

The COL is sky high and unsustainable, with too many agentcies NH can't support.

We have border Patrol, State Police Townies, sheriffs and F&G, and just added a new State police like Safety Patrol, with the same cars and uniforms 180 degrees out from St PD... What for?

We need capitolists that's what we need, not more new state agentcies.. We got more kinds of LEO than any other state and look at how small this state is. You might fit NH into texas 50 times and still have room left over for MAINE.

We need jobs !!!!! Jobs that earn based on something other than payin' taxes...

All this lefty crapola brings is less quality of life, and higher crime rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire