Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:47 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times

Advertisements

Which state is closer to New Hampshire in terms of a meaningful relationship?

Which state does NH place more trust in (ME or VT)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 01:21 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
In terms of the historical economic influences NH was more alligned with the river towns running along the Merrimack Valley (mill towns) extending down into MA. The coastal areas around Portsmouth were among the earliest European settlements in the state as well as the earliest economic development centered around the port of Portsmouth. So, based on historical populations, economic development, etc NH looks more toward MA, the Merrimack Valley, and the coast for infleunces. The general culture favors MA and ME over VT. However, the Upper Valley and Connecticut Valley have more VT influences and vibe, but the area is substantially more rural.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:05 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times
Having lived in Nh and Vt equally for the past 15 years, I tend to get the feel that it's one state that a river runs through, while Maine is way the heck East. Granted that is just the "feel" of every day life....not going into economics, politics etc.....

Old 05-09-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
Having lived in Nh and Vt equally for the past 15 years, I tend to get the feel that it's one state that a river runs through, while Maine is way the heck East. Granted that is just the "feel" of every day life....not going into economics, politics etc.....
Mainers are quite content with their relative isolation compared to other states. They even have a term known as the "Volvo Line." South of the line is a bit more urban with a greater number of towns and MA influences. North of the line is very rural with scattered villages and towns along with managed forests.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:10 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
I don't understand the question. We don't care what Vt and or Maine do. We could care a less what Mass does and pretty well don't like what ever Mass does.

Western Mass the little I Know would prefer to be a part of Vt. I think eastern mass wants to be part of NY.

Mass wants NH to pass taxes based on what mass thinks. Good luck on that.

No one I know in NH wants to do much to change to be more like either Maine or VT..

I like Vt and would maybe prefer to live there over Maine, but the difference in 'feeling' isn't much. All 3 states in a way are being over run from what they were, but city dwellers which is ok, but then they want to bring the dammned city with them.

North Conway was once a quiet little place and real sceneic, no more, now it is a golden mile hell.

The closer you live to mass the more it's like mass, a timelss zone, where the rat race is the most important thing.. Everything there happens fast, but thar's no quality about it.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I don't understand the question. We don't care what Vt and or Maine do. We could care a less what Mass does and pretty well don't like what ever Mass does.

Western Mass the little I Know would prefer to be a part of Vt. I think eastern mass wants to be part of NY.

Mass wants NH to pass taxes based on what mass thinks. Good luck on that.

No one I know in NH wants to do much to change to be more like either Maine or VT..

I like Vt and would maybe prefer to live there over Maine, but the difference in 'feeling' isn't much. All 3 states in a way are being over run from what they were, but city dwellers which is ok, but then they want to bring the dammned city with them.

North Conway was once a quiet little place and real sceneic, no more, now it is a golden mile hell.

The closer you live to mass the more it's like mass, a timelss zone, where the rat race is the most important thing.. Everything there happens fast, but thar's no quality about it.
You are exactly right. Most in NH do not want to emulate MA, VT, or ME. The annual town hall meetings and local control over spending issues is a timeless New England tradition. NH has tended to stay fiscally conservative compared to other surrounding states. I completely agree with you on North Conway. The traffic flow is about the worst I have seen for a town of its size. This is what happens when too many urbanites move in and then want every single chain, box store, etc. Follow the highways in the state and that is where the towns have grown faster in population compared to the more isolated places that are further from a state highway or interstate. If you want greater assurance against any growth at all in NH Coos County would fit the bill. It has lost 5% of its population since 2000. Real estate prices there have crashed and jobs are few outside of tourism/hospitality.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:29 PM

I don't know why really but every time I cross the river over into Vt I think I am on American soil in the doing. The geology is why. Maine and NH are stuffed up hard to the North American continent and VT is where that line is.

If you know of Albany once it was sea shore, some 11 feet down. The area is the nothern terminus to a nastly little known fault line too, being the Ossippe Mts are the spot, and that fault runs right down thru Plum Island. Maine came along with that part east of the fault.

The line is almost in Maine, but borders were not drawn by fault lines. Well not on purpose anyway.

It isn't easy to research the ossipees either, and i can't prove this with a link, but I sure wish i could. The ossipee once was on mountain with a circular almost 12 mile diameter base, that is said to have been....... apx 44,000 ft. I wish I could have seen that. A topo map is most interesting centered over the ossipee.

zip code 03886 and move the map 6 miles due south will do it, for those interested in such things.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know why really but every time I cross the river over into Vt I think I am on American soil in the doing. The geology is why. Maine and NH are stuffed up hard to the North American continent and VT is where that line is.

If you know of Albany once it was sea shore, some 11 feet down. The area is the nothern terminus to a nastly little known fault line too, being the Ossippe Mts are the spot, and that fault runs right down thru Plum Island. Maine came along with that part east of the fault.

The line is almost in Maine, but borders were not drawn by fault lines. Well not on purpose anyway.

It isn't easy to research the ossipees either, and i can't prove this with a link, but I sure wish i could. The ossipee once was on mountain with a circular almost 12 mile diameter base, that is said to have been....... apx 44,000 ft. I wish I could have seen that. A topo map is most interesting centered over the ossipee.

zip code 03886 and move the map 6 miles due south will do it, for those interested in such things.
That sounds fascinating. I will do some research.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:45 PM

I dig rocks

Old 05-09-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I dig rocks
If I recall, the Ossipee Mountains have volcanic rock geology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire