Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:33 PM

584 posts, read 1,425,494 times

Advertisements

Nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like Italian too, but get a clue business owners, Haddon Ave has it covered. I'm getting bored with the dining options and this news is really a bummer. I wish Haddon Township would get its act together and continue the development of the Haddon Ave strip. If Collingswood won't allow liquor licenses, I don't see why Haddon Twnship doesn't capitalize by extending the cuteness of Haddon Ave, but adding the coolness factor of gastropubs, and whatnot. I've gone to PJ's - not my idea of a chill pub.

When we moved here we were sold a bill of good about all these great development plans in the works in Haddon Township... I haven't seen anything happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,816 times
I hear you....

Old 04-12-2011, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,167 times
The Mayor discussed the alcohol situation at a town hall meeting several years ago. The rumor about Knight's Park is simply that.... a rumor. There is no accuracy. The reason Collingswood is dry is due to the absurd liquor licensing laws of NJ--they limit the number of licenses based upon population size...with Collingswood's current population, this is 2-3 licenses. The town has chosen to remain dry (with as many restaurants as there are currently, it is unfair for only two or three to have liquor licenses).

As someone who has lived near bars in the past, it is not only an issue of alcohol but of police protection--no offense, if you really need to get your bar fix in, Westmont has a plethora of spots, it is not far from Collingswood and their police are much, much busier as a consequence.

For myself, BYOB's are a lovely thing....cheaper than buying wine for a 200% mark-up and more selection.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:03 PM

267 posts, read 950,533 times
This better be a rumor! Knight is one of the better parks around...

Old 04-13-2011, 12:02 PM

I was told it is more folklore than fact. It just isn't so set in stone that the modern heirs of the family would "take away" the park. What would they do with it if they did? Privatize? develop? Both of which would cost them tons of money to the borough anyway.
I've always contended that the town lacks direction. I was told by a big realtor in town that "traffic" at the Lumberyard has increased upwards of 50% from last winter, yet I see few contracts being written on Trulia and Zillow. I also contend that the town has immense potential; I just don't understand what halts the obvious. Just take the "Italian restaurant" thing. I mean seriously...how much do you need?? I just heard that Marc Vetri will open a "new twist" ($$$$) on Italian in town. I think these things are better than vacancies but can't we just open up to new ventures? Hoping this Trader Joe's thing is more than rumor.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:35 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
In terms of the liquor license population cap issue, the number is a lot higher than what the mayor alluded to. Normal retail license (bar, restaurant) is equal to one license per 3,000 residents. Collingswood currently has a touch over 13,000 people, so that would be 4 restaurant/bar licenses available. Additionally you are allowed one distribution license (liquor store) per 7,500 people, so Collingswood would be able to get 1 store license. That would be a total of 5 per the 2010 census.

According to the state of NJ, licenses sell for $50k - $1+ million depending on the area, with the AVERAGE transaction price in the $250k range. At first sale, this money goes straight to the town. So, using the average Collingswood could raise $1.25 million or more on a liquor license sale.

If the park is a non-issue and there are seemingly ample licenses available for at least a retail store (forget the 4 restaurant/bar licenses), it seems like a no-brainer. Like you've been saying for a while Gray's, lack of direction. Besides having a beer/wine store to serve the community and restaurants would be a win-win for everyone.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:19 PM

GOAT, I think this is even a bigger arguement to push a Trader Joe's and just give them the liquor liscense like the one in Westfield, NJ. You wouldn't have restaurants saying "we want one if they got one" and the liquor aspect would increase the BYOB scene. You walk in TJ's, buy a bottle or two of wine and drink it right in Collingswood during you Italian dinner. Everybody wins!
This is the concept used by Garces Trading Company in CC Philly. He sells the wine in the same building as his restarant and bills it as a BYOB. You take a step and sit at your table.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:54 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
GOAT, I think this is even a bigger arguement to push a Trader Joe's and just give them the liquor liscense like the one in Westfield, NJ. You wouldn't have restaurants saying "we want one if they got one" and the liquor aspect would increase the BYOB scene. You walk in TJ's, buy a bottle or two of wine and drink it right in Collingswood during you Italian dinner. Everybody wins!
This is the concept used by Garces Trading Company in CC Philly. He sells the wine in the same building as his restarant and bills it as a BYOB. You take a step and sit at your table.
An even closer example in a neighboring town would be Bruno's Restaurant in Haddon Township, right near Paul VI. Bruno owns the restaurant and purchased the liquor store attached to his building. You can bring your own all you want, but he offers discounts to people dining in the restaurant and even has a "recommended" wine list in the liquor store to match with what you want to eat.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:19 AM

212 posts, read 610,754 times
I don't see how Collingswood can NOT issue liquor licenses - on Wednesday night the mayor's theme seemed to be that not enough money was coming in while expenses were up. It seems like this a the solution.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:40 AM

398 posts, read 733,022 times
What an absolutely retarded state. Property taxes through the roof, absurd liquor license laws with usurious fees to purchase a license, and a mentality that inhibits any progress. Glad I am not stuck in NJ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia