Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 PM

26 posts, read 39,333 times

Advertisements

I am very familiar with the towns on face value, having grown up in Barrington, but I'd like to see what people who live there/have lived there have to say about:

- the neighborhood
- the food
- schools
- parks/recreation/playgrounds
- sports (little league? swimming?)
- commute (PATCO)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:27 AM

681 posts, read 1,513,077 times
You can look up my former posts about Collingswood. I moved here 5 years ago from Philly. We "like" the town, the easy commute to Philly but frown on some of the direction.
I've been a supporter of bringing alcohol to the town in a controlled manner: gastro-pub, micro-brewery (Triumph, Iron Hill, etc.). The arguements have largely been about parking but the new Lumberyard garage is virtually empty. The mayor said at a recent meeting that he "thinks it's a bad idea". I wish he would own up to the bad idea of the fall of the Lumberyard and stop blaming outside agencies.
My feeling is the empty stores and large turnover can be better served; stop depending on restaurants as the sole economy for the town. Make it a destination.
Collingswood is safe, village like and has "good" schools. I think it is a great place overall.

Last edited by GraysFerryB4; 11-10-2011 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-14-2011, 02:13 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyborninDC View Post
I am very familiar with the towns on face value, having grown up in Barrington, but I'd like to see what people who live there/have lived there have to say about:

- the neighborhood
- the food
- schools
- parks/recreation/playgrounds
- sports (little league? swimming?)
- commute (PATCO)

Thanks!
Neighborhood

This one depends on what you are looking for. Collingswood certainly wins for the downtown vibe and events. I think Haddon Twp. has the edge if you are looking for a more traditional suburban bedroom community, but Collingswood has a little bit of that as well. Housing stock is similar in both towns, but I think Haddon Twp. holds the edge with its "newer" developments and range of housing.

Food

Collingswood wins that one with all of the restaurants on the Avenue. However, Haddon Twp. lets you have a drink with your meal that you don't need to bring with you. The Tap Room, Pour House, Irish Mile and PJ Whelihans are all decent places to grab a bite to eat and hang out. Haddon Twp. also has a couple decent restaurants that aren't pubs as well. The problem is, they aren't exactly concentrated in one area and walking to them depends on where you live.

Schools

At the elementary level I would say both towns are equal. At the middle and high school level I would give the edge to Haddon Twp. People I know in the school systems in both towns used to say it was a slamdunk that Haddon Twp. was better, especially in the late 90's and early 00's, but the difference has levelled out over the years. The biggest hit on Collingswood isn't the programs offered or the teachers, but the relationship with Woodlynne and the issues that arises from that.

Parks/Recereation

This one is all Collingswood. Knights Park is a huge asset to the town as well as having Newton Creek Park and Cooper River Park both walkable from any point in town. Collingswood also has a ton of community events and festivals from the May Fair and Farmers Market to concerts at the Scottish Rite and Evenings in the Park. Haddon Twp. tries, but their events just aren't as large or well done as the ones in Collingswood.

Sports

This one is pretty even as both towns offer pretty much the exact same sports and rec leagues and are in the same sports conference at the high school level. Both towns have public swimming pools with swim teams as well.

Commute

The commute from either town is virtually the same over the same roads and they both have a PATCO station. Maybe a slight edge to the Collingswood commuter heading into the city since it's a bit closer.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:32 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,863,105 times
These two towns run into each other and your decision should really be based on the house and neighborhood for the most part. I will say Haddon Township has a better high school.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:48 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,886,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
These two towns run into each other and your decision should really be based on the house and neighborhood for the most part. I will say Haddon Township has a better high school.
I agree..

Old 11-20-2011, 07:09 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,863,105 times
Collingswood obviously has the better "downtown" area but even if you live in Haddon Township (Westmont) you could be closer to that downtown strip than some parts of Collingswood. I'd personally rather live in Haddon Twp. for the better HS, and it's not "dry" which I think is absolutely retarded in this day and age. I just wouldn't feel right giving my tax dollars to a "dry" municipality. You can't go wrong with Westmont. Try to find something near Newton Lake.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:51 AM

283 posts, read 607,549 times
When I looked in 2009, housing was a bit more in Haddon Township and the taxes were a bit more as well. For many places in Haddon Township (e.g. the neighborhoods near me in Bluebird, near the HS, etc.), it's a long walk to the downtown strip near Pour House, etc. anyway. I wound up picking a place back by Cooper River Park in Collingswood (I'm on the most eastern edge, 1 block from Haddon Township). While the downtowns in both areas are nice, much of the nicer and affordable housing is further removed from Haddon Ave. There are a lot of rowhomes, twins, and 100 year old houses right near downtown. The single family lots near downtown Collingswood fetch a premium and move quickly.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:20 PM

115 posts, read 381,664 times
I'd say NJGOAT has the good breakdown.

But as far as schools, you need to really examine your kids' personalities. I've been a public school teacher for over ten years. I've seen parents send one kid to a public school, but then send a sibling to private. The reasons varied, some felt public wasn't meeting one's needs, others wanted more shelter.

So if Collingswood and Haddon Twp. are close in your opinion, I'd simply go with the cheaper option, because the usual biggest indicator of success starts at home: books in living room, dinner table conversations, etc.

I went to a "poorer" school district with some gang presence in Central Jersey, experienced some bumps and bruises along the way, but turned out fine. The town was pretty divided economically, but kids got along in school and you learned to appreciate others who weren't like you. I think it really added to my education and life outlook rather than being sheltered in a bubble. Which is why I would choose the cheaper option as both are very close in quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia