Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 PM

36 posts, read 59,223 times

Advertisements

I was hoping someone could give me an idea of what a realistic commute from Haddon Township to Rowan University would be. I am considering applying for a job there, but I don't want to have to deal with a bad commute. Google says it should take about 25-30 minutes, but that's not taking into account rush hour traffic.

Assuming I'd be on a normal work schedule, working somewhere between 8:00-9:00 AM to 5:00-6:00 PM, would I be running into a lot of traffic?

Also, I've read some articles online that discuss the possibility of expanding PATCO out to Glassboro, but everything I've seen is a few years old. Is this plan pretty much dead in the water?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVelo View Post
I was hoping someone could give me an idea of what a realistic commute from Haddon Township to Rowan University would be. I am considering applying for a job there, but I don't want to have to deal with a bad commute. Google says it should take about 25-30 minutes, but that's not taking into account rush hour traffic.

Assuming I'd be on a normal work schedule, working somewhere between 8:00-9:00 AM to 5:00-6:00 PM, would I be running into a lot of traffic?

Also, I've read some articles online that discuss the possibility of expanding PATCO out to Glassboro, but everything I've seen is a few years old. Is this plan pretty much dead in the water?

Thanks!
The proposed Camden-Glassboro line just started it's 2-year environmental study. Here is a link if you wanted more information about it.
Glassboro-Camden commuter rail line continues slow progress | NJ.com

As for your commute, you are better off just driving through route 42 then hop on route 55 until you get to exit 48 in Glassboro.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

I checked Google this morning during rush hour and it said 24 minutes. Not bad. I'll have to keep checking though to see if that's the norm.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I used to commute from Collingswood to Vineland daily. The exit for Route 322 to take you to Rowan I generally considered the mid-point of my 50-60 minute commute. So, 25-30 minutes to Rowan sounds about right, probably more on the 30+ side once you factor in driving down 322 onto the campus, finding parking, etc.

As for driving, I took Route 130 to Route 42 and then got off on Route 55. So, from Haddon Twp., depending on section you are basically going to head down either Nicholson or Collings Ave. to get to 130 and then follow the above. While those road names are the ones that always pop-up on the traffic report, you are basically always going opposite of the traffic and it's relatively smooth sailing. Occasionally you'll hit some traffic coming home where 55 and 42 merge, but nothing all that bad.

Obviously once they build out the proposed rail line, it would actually be a pretty easy commute, though driving may still end up being faster/cheaper. I wouldn't count on that rail line being an option anytime soon though.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 PM

283 posts, read 607,365 times
They've been talking about that Rail Line since 1988 for what it's worth, if not before then. By car, it would be a reverse commute, so getting to campus wouldn't be bad. However, once you get on campus, I'd account for some time to park. Rowan is notorious for having undersized parking lots. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Definitely very helpful. It doesn't sound like a very bad commute at all. I guess it's time to apply for the position!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:04 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_567 View Post
They've been talking about that Rail Line since 1988 for what it's worth, if not before then. By car, it would be a reverse commute, so getting to campus wouldn't be bad. However, once you get on campus, I'd account for some time to park. Rowan is notorious for having undersized parking lots. Good luck.
They've been talking about a rail line to Gloucester County since the 70s, when heavy rail was still an option. The state wouldn't bite. It was one of the reasons that the southern counties wanted to secede. That & the mess at the intersection of 295 & 42.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
They've been talking about a rail line to Gloucester County since the 70s, when heavy rail was still an option. The state wouldn't bite. It was one of the reasons that the southern counties wanted to secede. That & the mess at the intersection of 295 & 42.
That area is still a traffic mess. lol.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:12 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
That area is still a traffic mess. lol.
That was a mess when my family moved to South Jersey in 1964. We were promised that it would be fixed when they removed the secession question from our ballots in 1980. It's a disgrace.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:49 AM

283 posts, read 607,365 times
McGreevey said that would be fixed by 2010. What happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia