Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM

161 posts, read 344,659 times

Advertisements

I totally missed the fact that Acme was sold earlier this month to a private equity firm. Acme supermarkets sold, impact still unclear in South Jersey | NJ.com

I wonder what they will do with the SJ stores.

Last edited by CH101; 01-30-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 03:38 PM

122 posts, read 202,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH101 View Post
I totally missed the fact that Acme was sold earlier this month to a private equity firm. Acme supermarkets sold, impact still unclear in South Jersey | NJ.com

I wonder what they will do with the SJ stores.
I can't help but think that the Haddonfield store will be sold off. I've never seen that place look even remotely busy.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:44 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by withasigh View Post
I can't help but think that the Haddonfield store will be sold off. I've never seen that place look even remotely busy.
I've seen the Haddonfield Acme nearly empty & jam-packed. It just depends. I've gone, more than once, & had to circle for a parking space to free-up.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 AM

122 posts, read 202,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've seen the Haddonfield Acme nearly empty & jam-packed. It just depends. I've gone, more than once, & had to circle for a parking space to free-up.
That really shocks me. One week night I was in there at 6pm and I was the only customer.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 AM

756 posts, read 2,118,065 times
Quote:
I don't know who would buy that store. Remember Acme is unionized so a non union grocery store won't buy it. ShopRite or it's co-op is likely the only viable one (but ShopRite of Cherry Hill would just reopen Brace Rd. instead). The other option is it becomes a Thriftway/ShopNBag or Murphy's Markets (which has stores more east) as these like ShopRite I believe have unionized staff.

I have seen the Acme center full. Check again on Saturday and Sunday morning and early afternoon.

The Marlton Superfresh for years looked empty but it made up for most of the losses on a Sunday morning/early afternoon.

Last edited by avg12; 01-31-2013 at 07:40 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
That really shocks me. One week night I was in there at 6pm and I was the only customer.
It just depends on when you show up there. I have been told, over the years, that that is one of their most successful stores per square foot. Remember, the building cannot be expanded. That's a historic building. There's a plaque on the side of the building. Also, many Haddonfield residents walk there.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:01 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I'm kind of worried over the Acme thing. Our local store in Logan is large and anchors the main shopping plaza in the area. However, while it does tend to stay relatively busy, almost everyone I know who lives in the area does their main shopping at the Zallie's Shop Rite in Gibbstown, which while on the dumpy side has much better prices. Locals pretty much reserve going to Acme for last minute things or to take advantage of a big sale. It's one saving grace may be that it is the only major supermarket in the Logan/Swedesboro/Woolwich area which is still rapidly growing.

Acme is also the only local option available for a lot of people in Salem County and some areas of Cumberland, but I don't know how profitable those stores are overall.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 PM

756 posts, read 2,118,065 times
Would Ahold be in a condition to buy the NJ and DE/MD Acmes?

It'd be weird for the chain to resurrect the Stop&Shop banner in So. NJ, but this time around it'd have the dominant market-share or close second with ShopRite.

It'd also gain those Central NJ stores where Stop&Shop is already present, and DE/MD where Giant-MD exists where the Giant-MD banner (with the fruit and bowl) would be applied.

Acme could still exist in PA where the Acme banner is anyways more meaningful, and Ahold has it's Giant-Carlisle division (non union) for PA.

Last edited by avg12; 02-01-2013 at 01:09 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 PM

421 posts, read 834,880 times
Actually I would say the Acme name is more meaningful in NJ, despite the chain having started in PA, because Acme doesn't have Giant to worry about in NJ, nor did Genuardi's ever have a large presence there. Also, a lot of the older, smaller Acmes have stayed open in NJ, because Acme has stayed in the rural parts of NJ but has exited the rural parts of PA. There aren't many places in NJ either (Camden being a notable exception) where crime is as bad as in much of Philly, where Acme has been forced to close quite a few stores due to shoplifting. Surprisingly though ShopRite and Pathmark are able to survive in the same city neighborhoods where Acme has retreated, but it makes sense because Acme is an older chain than those other two, and couldn't keep its countless small 50's/60's stores profitable without moving them or demolishing and rebuilding them larger. Land was simply too scarce for Acme to upgrade a lot of its older stores in Philly itself, but they did this often in the suburbs. And crime has spread like a disease to a lot of Philly where it wasn't as bad in the 50's and 60's.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:02 PM

161 posts, read 344,659 times
Cherry Hill has decided to postpone the liquor license auction until sometime this spring: Liquor License Auction on Hold in Cherry Hill - Cherry Hill, NJ Patch

In the meantime, Kimco Realty updated most of their marketing package PDFs for the area just today, and on most of the area retail competition maps they have listed "Future Whole Foods" for Ellisburg Circle Shopping Center. It should be taken with a grain of salt though, because one of the packages still lists Genuardi's, while they all still seem to list the long closed Office Depot at Walmart Shopping Center.

But I think it is pretty telling that 2 different realty companies (Kimco and Metro Commercial) have listed Whole Foods as either proposed or future.

http://legacy.kimcorealty.com/File/M...e_SNJC1014.pdf

Last edited by CH101; 02-09-2013 at 09:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia