Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,602 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I currently live in Plainfield, NJ. I recently received a job in Hammonton and I'm looking to relocate my family there. I would like to know more about Hammonton. There seems to be plenty options when it comes to real estate. I looked at other areas such as Mullica, Folsom, and Shamong but they seem to be dull areas. Hammonotn seems like a nice place but I would specifically like to know if it is a safe area(crime/walkable) and how the schools are. We want to live in a somewhat urban area, does Hammonton have lots of food/shopping. Also is it a good place to raise a family (Happenings, events, etc.)? Any information will help. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 03:09 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
Hammonton is a small town. It was voted the most Italian place in NJ. It has a pretty downtown and a lot of community activities. The schools are pretty decent. It is not very urban. It's a small town surrounded by farms. It does have NJ transit train station for easy access to AC and 30th St Station in Philly. Or you can switch to the PATCO line at Lindenwold and get to the Independence Hall area in Philly.

They have a Shop Rite and a Walmart but for Home Depot or Lowes you will have to drive west into Berlin. There are a lot of boutique and small shops there but you will be driving to the Cherry Hill area for most big store shopping.

If you are Italian you will fit right into the Hammonton cliques easier. A lot of people living in Hammonton have lived there all of their lives so it can be a little hard for outsiders to feel accepted at first. There is also a large population of migrant workers that work at the area farms.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
^Ditto to what she said, except for the schools. The schools are not good. But the downtown area is pretty damn good. It's an interesting dynamic. It has a good downtown, but the demographics of the town itself show that it's not a particular wealthy area. And because of that, the schools are not good.

If you want a better education for your children, Shamong would be a great option. Shamong is wealthy and has very good schools. But it's close enough to Hammonton that you can still go to the downtown and all of the events and festivals they hold. It's really great. They have the downtown area which makes it feel more urban, but you also have farms and wineries in town. Shamong has a winery as well.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Maybe Medford or Marlton (Evesham Township). They're very suburban, but rather busy and there's a lot of things to do. The schools are pretty good, too.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:35 PM

I would not say the schools are bad. Both Shamong and Hammonton have the same rating. However, both public schools are a bit neglected as most kids go to private school. In Hammonton you will find most kids go to Catholic School.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:56 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,064 times
Hammonton's schools are District Factor Group B, the second lowest, while Shamong is GH, the third highest. That's quite a big difference.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
I would not say the schools are bad. Both Shamong and Hammonton have the same rating. However, both public schools are a bit neglected as most kids go to private school. In Hammonton you will find most kids go to Catholic School.
Would you recommend the Catholic schools in Hammonton? I hear Saint joe has great football program, but is the quality of learning good at the school?

Old 08-19-2015, 07:47 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Agree with what has been said regarding Hammonton being a small town. I have found the people to be very nice and friendly, but the place is somewhat insular. If you weren't born/raised there, you are forever an "outsider". Which doesn't mean people will be mean or rude. It just means you will sometimes get a sense that you are "other" to some of the natives. Like any small town, there is a fair amount of gossip and seems like everyone knows everyone else and everyone else's business. The population is an interesting mix of Italian and Latino families. Many of the Latinos started as migrant workers and settled in the town. There is still a pretty big influx of migrant workers every summer, because there are a lot of farms still.

You can get excellent Italian and Mexican food in multiple restaurants. And if you like festivals, Hammonton's got 'em.

I don't know too much about the schools. It is true that a lot of students attend St. Joe's. Anecdotally, I know of two teenagers who withdrew from St. Joe's due to bullying. Does that mean there is more bullying there than elsewhere? I do not know. I do know that the parents felt the school administration was not responsive enough. But again, is that typical of other places, too? I don't know.

My suggestion would be to take a trip to Hammonton and pick up the little local newspaper. Try to see a couple weeks' worth of papers. That will give you a good sense of the type of crime and goings-on in the town.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:36 PM

A lot of my neighbor's kids went to St.Joe's commuting from Atco. One neighbor's kid went to Camden Catholic. They all graduated with honors at St.Joe's. Everyone went off to good colleges.

Bullying is at any school, anytime. I think it depends on the individual kid. Like our neighbor who's one kid went to St.Joe's, the other transferred to Winslow Twp and did better. That kid went off to Ivy League and Winslow Twp schools are pretty bad.

Our kiddo is not even in elementary school yet so we are still deciding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia