Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 02:48 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Don't know who Levin is, but Cherry Hill is suburbia. Many people from Camden and Philadelphia went to Cherry Hill just to escape the city and live a more serene atmosphere in the 60's and the 70's. Nowadays, it's not growing but only because of taxes and the local and regional economy. Garden State Park is gone and in it's place is Garden State Pavillions, a shopping center and Cherry Hill Mall is it's strong selling point.
Susan Bass Levin was the mayor who replaced Maria Barnaby Greenwald. Women ran Cherry Hill for a long time. They did well.

Cherry Hill is semi walkable. Check Google Streetview for Erlton. While I didn't live there, I was able to walk to Erlton, Ellisburg, and even into Haddonfield, as well as other commercial areas. It all depends on where someone lives in Cherry Hill as to how far you can get without a vehicle, on foot or via bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 03:03 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
She was the mayor. I'm surprised that she wanted the job. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Bass_Levin

Garden State Park was supposed to be developed into the Main Street that Cherry Hill never had. That obviously didn't happen. Garden State Pavilions is up the road.

I think that their strong point is that they have saved historic buildings, have parks and a few quiet places to walk, and a not terribly old covered bridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarborough_Bridge

The southjerseytrails.org guy has found all of the trails.
The two women ran Cherry Hill for ages. They were elected after the last man who was mayor under the old township regulations pushed to have the old Ellisburg school torn down to put a McDonalds on Ellisburg circle. People were irate.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:03 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
Quote:
Reading is rundown, but I wouldn't call it awful. Camden was awful during the '70's to much of last decade until things turned around. Wilmington has the better economy due to banking, credit cards, and Dupont. My personal favorite city, however is Allentown. I'm impressed with how they turned around the city, even though the city had corruption with Pawlowski, who wasn't really a bad mayor bout got his hands caught in the cookie jar.

Albeit this this 3 years old, the Lehigh Valley isn't a part of the NYC CSA, the Lehigh Valley is it's own MSA. It's not a part of NY nor is it a part of Philadelphia, it's independent of those two cities, albeit the Lehigh Valley is a part of PA, it get's Philadelphia TV stations, and it's 60 miles from Philadelphia to Allentown, as opposed to 91 miles from NYC to Allentown. Allentown reminds me of a smaller version of Phila than it does NYC, except you have a Latino majority and a smaller white and and even smaller but present and spread out black population. Yes, NYC is a more attractive place due to the money and it's size, but for right now it's better that the Lehigh Valley remain it's own area than becoming another node for NYC.
The Lehigh Valley MSA used to be considered part of the NYC CSA. It was removed from the CSA three years ago.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:29 PM

837 posts, read 854,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
The Lehigh Valley MSA used to be considered part of the NYC CSA. It was removed from the CSA three years ago.
I know that and the Leigh Valley shouldn't be a part of the NYC CSA. It really should be a part of the Philadelphia CSA, but I can accept it as it's own MSA.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:48 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
it has potential

I still need to go to donkey's place

Quote:
I know that and the Leigh Valley shouldn't be a part of the NYC CSA. It really should be a part of the Philadelphia CSA, but I can accept it as it's own MSA.
LV needs a train station that goes both to nyc and philly

Old 03-26-2021, 08:43 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
Quote:
I don’t think it should be part of the Philly CSA. It made more sense as part of NYC, even as weird as that feels. The CSA is about commuting patterns. More people in the Lehigh Valley commuted to NYC and North Jersey than they do to the Philly area.

But based on “feel” I think it should remain independent. It is in the Philly media market, however.

Old 06-11-2021, 02:30 PM

98 posts, read 175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I don’t think it should be part of the Philly CSA. It made more sense as part of NYC, even as weird as that feels. The CSA is about commuting patterns. More people in the Lehigh Valley commuted to NYC and North Jersey than they do to the Philly area.

But based on “feel” I think it should remain independent. It is in the Philly media market, however.

Much easier to commute to NYC with the transbridge bus line (about 90 minutes from Easton to NYC Port Authority) than it is to Philly which basically requires driving yourself. And some parts of the valley especially near the eastern border to NJ is equidistant or perhaps slightly closer to NYC than it is to Philly after accounting for driving 20 miles west to reach the 476 highway.

Have noticed when used to live there most people tend to root for the Philly sports teams as if its their local team probably just because its in the same state!

Old 08-18-2021, 05:01 PM

66 posts, read 53,303 times
Fun to go back and read posts from almost 5 years ago. Lots of hope that Camden improves. How is it going? Moved out of SJ in 1981. Has COVID had a bad effect on Camden’s progress?

Old 09-19-2021, 03:12 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Is it as bad as nearby Kensington in Philly?

Old 09-19-2021, 04:23 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Camden will never be good again, at least in our lifetimes. Its fenced off and the memories of those who knew when it was good are rapidly disappearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia