Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:43 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
What I like about it is that pretty much anywhere you go, there are several routes you can take and usually a way to get there on back roads. On the other hand, when I go to see my friend in Devon, there seem to be no options except scary highway he** (476, 76, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What I like about it is that pretty much anywhere you go, there are several routes you can take and usually a way to get there on back roads. On the other hand, when I go to see my friend in Devon, there seem to be no options except scary highway he** (476, 76, etc).
Try getting off the Sure-kill at Montgomery Ave & taking it to Belmont Ave. Take a right onto Belmont & you will go to City Line. Check Mapquest to see when you want to get back over to the main roads.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
A couple other good points about South Jersey:
1) Better Pizza, and more pizza
2) Better beer selection
3) Our state doesn't have capital punishment
4) Our state doesn't have a bunch of people serving life in prison for crimes they committed when they were children
5) NJ allows civil unions for gays and lesbians. Equal rights = cool.
6) When you visit the west coast, it's much cooler to say you're from New Jersey
7) NJ's turnpike is much easier to drive than PA's turnpike, and much shorter too
8) We have awesome Italian bakeries, most of the Italians from South Philly moved out to SJ, half of the people in my neighborhood seem to be originally from South Philly
9) As soon as you cross the bridge to come home to NJ, the air just seems fresher and the grass isn't littered with trash. With PA suburbs the change happens more gradually as you drive away from Center City through miles of Philadelphia slums

Old 04-24-2010, 08:32 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,494 times
There are definitely nice parts of PA. I grew up in PA, moved away for a while and then lived in the Media area for a year and then Chestnut Hill for 8 months - both very nice areas. But the commute to Philly was just too much. I'm not one of these people who is willing to commute more than 30 minutes to work. On a typical day the commute from Media was 35-40 minutes; with traffic (and there was always traffic if I came home during rush hour) it could take an hour or more. Chestnut Hill was a commuting nightmare. Driving North on Broad takes years off your life.

The commute to the city from S. Jersey is just so much easier. That's ultimately why we decided to buy in the Haddonfield area rather than an equivalent neighborhood in PA. We looked at homes for 2 years and the expense evens out when you compare what you can afford and property taxes. To get an equivalent house to what we now have, we'd had to have paid at least $75,000 more and the property taxes would have only been about $1500 lower a year. The monthly payments aren't all that different - and actually probably $150-200 lower here.

Since we've been here, I've found things are just so much more convenient. To take care of every day life issues (food shopping, doctors, malls, housewares stores, veterinarians, mechanics, entertainment, etc) I never have to drive more than 15 minutes. I have the convenience of the Big Box chains 10-15 minutes away in Cherry Hill, and 3 cutesy little shopping, restaurant areas (Haddonfield, Collingswood, Haddon Heights) 5 minutes or less away. Plus, there are extra dining and entertainment options with Vorhees, Moorestown and similar neighborhoods within another 15-20 minute drive. Not to mention Center City is an easy drive or Patco ride away. I didn't consider NJ as a place to live and kind of stumbled on it by accident. But, I love it here.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:54 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
A
9) As soon as you cross the bridge to come home to NJ, the air just seems fresher and the grass isn't littered with trash. With PA suburbs the change happens more gradually as you drive away from Center City through miles of Philadelphia slums
amen to that!!!!

Old 04-24-2010, 03:20 PM

584 posts, read 1,425,494 times
BTW: Tarp, where is the better pizza that you speak of. Based on my limited experience with NJ so far, I'd have to disagree. I really miss the pizza joints in PA and have been pretty disappointed with the pizza I've had so far. I'd love recommendations near Haddonfield/Haddon Township/ Collingswood area.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:39 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
BTW: Tarp, where is the better pizza that you speak of. Based on my limited experience with NJ so far, I'd have to disagree. I really miss the pizza joints in PA and have been pretty disappointed with the pizza I've had so far. I'd love recommendations near Haddonfield/Haddon Township/ Collingswood area.
The best Pizza we have ever had is Delorenzos pizza in Trenton and Robbinsville nj. Better then anything in pa..

Old 04-24-2010, 06:50 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
Pros:
Affordability(esp. with housing)
Less congestion and sprawl
More "serene", laid-back lifestyle
A bit closer to the Shore

Cons:
-Taxes
-PA is still cheaper than NJ. Further west you go the lest the cost of living
-Everything seems more spread out. If you rely on mass transit you could be screwed depending where you are at. The Philly suburbs in PA have alot more transit options if you are going into Center City, even if you have to transfer at hubs like 69th Street in Upper Darby.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:01 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
templeau, I like Gina Mia's Pizza on Chews Landing Road in Gloucester Township. Closer to you, though I haven't been there in a while, but I remember Cafe Antonios in Collingswood being pretty good too. I have cut back on pizza lately though - too fattening.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeu View Post
King of Pizza in Cherry Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia