Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 06:23 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Wow. I'd hesitate to follow a stranger into a parking lot, especially in another state where people may be allowed to carry concealed handguns. I would have just made a mental note not to go the wrong way down the one-way street and forgotten about it.

You're so right Lisa, which is why I have mellowed out a lot in the past decade. It's not worth my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Meh - I try not to get worked up about it. Seriously if you want to go ahead of me that bad, go for it. Also I always try to think about why they are in a rush. Perhaps they just got a phone call to get to the hospital...you never know.
Love your attitude and I am the same way. By all means, pass me if you want! I'm not racing you!

What gets me upset is when I am traveling in the speed lane and some selfish jerk wants to go 60 miles an hour and could care less that I will need to jump through hoops to get past him when he could simply get in the right lane and let me by. Seriously, people are pathetic how they get off to getting on someone's last nerve. If they're really nasty and try boxing me in, which they love to do out of spite (though I dont know why they are spiteful when THEY are going SLOW in the slow lane and I SIMPLY want to pass them, not beef with them), I get in front of them and we go 45 to 50 miles an hour until they get the point. These types of drivers are called PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE and they need to get a life.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:05 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
lol !!! That has to be the stupidest law ever made- no cell phones. Common now, how many people really follow it ???????????????????????????
Have you not noticed how distracted and slow and swervy and dumb drivers get the second they're on their phone? You always know the person will be on their phone when they drive so erratically, and sure enough when you pass they were ON THEIR PHONE! Quel surprise! There have been a number of studies to back this up and to show how very unsafe it is for the rest of us when someone uses their phone on the road.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:49 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
I get more stressed out about it then I used to, because people seem crazier than they used to. Last summer, I didn't move over fast enough for some guy in a convertible sports car on 55. I was not driving in the left lane, but legitimately passing and doing so at a high rate of speed, I did not hold him up at all and moved back to the right as soon as I could...but when he went by me, along with a stream of curse words, he threw a glass bottle at me! At 90 mph or whatever he was going (I was going close to 80, and he blew by) he could have killed me if it came in my window. I thought about calling that "report road rage" number, but I was scared I'd have to give my name, and anyone that crazy I'm not messing with. I used to engage back with road rage people, now I try to just get out of their way.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,962 times
Never participate if you're driving some small car or slow car, u will lose. I drive an old maxima and people underestimate it so that works just fine.

I had one person on rt 9 fly by me honking and then get in front of me and jam their brakes. I should have just hit the back corner and knock them off the road and kept going but I accelerated past them easily because they had an SUV and pulled in front of them and kept them behind me, then I flipped them off. But these things shouldn't be done unless ur vehicle is bigger and heavier and faster.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:59 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
I used to give aholes the finger through my sunroof until some maniac in an 18 wheeler followed me up 287 from Piscataway to Parsippany (to those unfamiliar, it's about 30 miles), screaming he was going to run me off the road or kill me - a large part of that road is 2 lanes so I couldn't get away from him. That scared my 22 year old a** enough to stop, LOL.

Now I shrug it off or laugh, like imcurlybelle.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:32 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
I came close to a physical altercation with this guy one time.

we were in a busy, main part of town where they were doing construction. So there was a long delay. Spent about 10 minutes to go 1/4 mile or so.

As i was making a very slow right hand turn in traffic, some guy in a pickup truck cut me off. So I lay on the horn hard.

This guy who is easily over 60 years old gets out of his car and starts yelling at me. I get out of my car in response, and say to get back in your truck old man. Guy continues to talk, as traffic is not moving. 3rd guy got out of his car and managed to calm the old guy down until he got in his truck.

Luckily that guy was there. Would hate having to justify fighting a senior citizen to the police

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 06-12-2010 at 07:00 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 06:57 PM

18,471 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
lol !!! That has to be the stupidest law ever made- no cell phones. Common now, how many people really follow it ???????????????????????????
The only thing stupid about it is the punishment. Make it a $1000 fine. Hell, make it $2000 if you truly want people to follow the law. I bet the law would work pretty well then. I have no sympathy people who endanger other people's lives not paying attention to the road. Now we have kids text messaging while driving. This is one of the MOST dangerous things to do behind the wheel, but what do we expect? WE lowered the bar with cell phones and text messaging is the next logical progression.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:06 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Never participate if you're driving some small car or slow car, u will lose. I drive an old maxima and people underestimate it so that works just fine.

I had one person on rt 9 fly by me honking and then get in front of me and jam their brakes. I should have just hit the back corner and knock them off the road and kept going but I accelerated past them easily because they had an SUV and pulled in front of them and kept them behind me, then I flipped them off. But these things shouldn't be done unless ur vehicle is bigger and heavier and faster.

That happens to me in my mom's Prius all the time. People think, "Oh it's a Prius, I'm going to pass it, because it can't possibly be going at a decent speed". Meanwhile, I'm doing about 15-30 over the speed limit rushing to get to work/school on time and then they pass me, slow down seeing how fast they are going, and get shocked when I pass them (occasionally with a rude gesture)

The other bit of notable road rage that happened to me was a NYer cut me off on the turnpike. I honked once and he then and SLAMMED on his breaks. I was forced to slam on mine skidding/smoking my tires a bit, everything in my car flew forward, some of which got damaged due to the impact. I then put my high beams on (it was night) and held down the horn until my exit.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:49 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,684 times
Quote:
Some guy came flying out of nowhere (In Paramus) and tried to cut me off today at a red light, and I wasn't letting him, he came thisclose and then rolled down his window and screamed the "C" word and sped off into the turning-only lane. He obviously didn't want to turn, and he didn't want to wait in the 5-mile line of cars behind me. I thought it was the funniest thing in the world, losing his temper because I wouldn't let him in !! It made him more pissed off that I started laughing so he flipped me the bird to. Ouch! That hurt dumbass. I'm going to end up on the cover of the newspaper one day, "Girl shot over roadrage".

I'll be honest, I am one of those drivers, I have fun antagonizing. I thought about it and just when he thought someone was letting him in, I said to myself, "Naaa" and hit the gas. Haaaaaaaa!
You have me very confused.

In the first part of your post, you indicated that you love to antagonize people and that you not only almost caused an accident today (congratulations, BTW), but you also had someone who you don't know flip out on you, tell you that he'll see you next Tuesday, and get hot enough to possibly do bodily harm (congrats again). In the next part of your post, you acknowledged that you'll probably be shot some day, and later yet you asked how to handle road ragers.

I'm going to ask you a series of questions:

1) Why not just let him in, especially when you admitted that you indicated (or that he for some reason believed) that you were going to do so?

2) What do you accomplish by antagonizing people and getting an emotional response? I mean, beside thinking that you are cute or whater ego strokes you get from it, how does it add to the quality of your own life to **** other people off?

3) You've stated that you have a history of this kind of behavior, admitted that you will probably be killed one day because of it, and admitted that you were almost killed by someone because of this sort of thing in the past. So my last question to you is this-is this behavior smart (rhetorical), is it a constructive way to spend your time and energy, and why don't you knock it off before someone really does kill you?

P.S. You should look up the definition of road rage-you might be surprised to find that you seem to have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey