Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,755 times

Advertisements

hi all
we are a married couple of 30-something that will prob be moving to NJ next year. He'll be working in Fair Lawn but will be travelling much by plane around US, me will be looking for a job and hope to get it in NYC.

Anyway, i have no clue of what a good place is to live there, was thinking halfway e.g. Rutherford/Elmwood Park area..... would it be a wise choice?

i'll need good public transport to the City and he'll need good route network.
Plus we want to live in a place where everything is very closeby, with restaurants, green/pedestrian areas, possibly nice river/water, cultural stuff (photo club!), safe and not too costly.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!! place names, reviews, prices..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 08:28 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Fair Lawn itself should be fine for you, as well as Rutherford. Both towns have train access and good schools. Rutherford has more of a downtown than Fair Lawn (although there are certainly shopping areas within Fair Lawn, with the Radburn area coming closest to resembling a mini downtown). Rutherford also has a slightly more urban feel. Fair Lawn is slightly more affluent and has slightly better schools, plus if you really like downtown areas the super fancy towns of Ridgewood and Glen Rock are just a few minutes away. You should be able to get something decent in either town for $400,000 to $450,000.

Elmwood Park borders Fair Lawn, and while it's not a terrible town, it's several steps below either Fair Lawn or Rutherford. There are some decent, reasonably priced restaurants in and near the town though.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:58 AM

747 posts, read 2,759,231 times
What's your budget (either $xxxx per month in rent or $xxx thousand in purchase price)? There's really no way of recommending places without knowing what you can comfortably afford, unfortunately.

Depending on how often your hubby travels, you may want to be close to one of the main north-south highway corridors (such as I-95 a.k.a. NJ TurnPike) in order to have easy access to EWR (Newark Liberty Airport).

I see you are from outside the states so feel free to ask if any of our jargon/abbreviations don't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Fair Lawn itself should be fine for you, as well as Rutherford. Both towns have train access and good schools. Rutherford has more of a downtown than Fair Lawn (although there are certainly shopping areas within Fair Lawn, with the Radburn area coming closest to resembling a mini downtown). Rutherford also has a slightly more urban feel. Fair Lawn is slightly more affluent and has slightly better schools, plus if you really like downtown areas the super fancy towns of Ridgewood and Glen Rock are just a few minutes away. You should be able to get something decent in either town for $400,000 to $450,000.

Elmwood Park borders Fair Lawn, and while it's not a terrible town, it's several steps below either Fair Lawn or Rutherford. There are some decent, reasonably priced restaurants in and near the town though.
The OP said nothing about kids and schools, so that's probably a non-issue

Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi_K View Post
hi all
we are a married couple of 30-something that will prob be moving to NJ next year. He'll be working in Fair Lawn but will be travelling much by plane around US, me will be looking for a job and hope to get it in NYC.

Anyway, i have no clue of what a good place is to live there, was thinking halfway e.g. Rutherford/Elmwood Park area..... would it be a wise choice?

i'll need good public transport to the City and he'll need good route network.
Plus we want to live in a place where everything is very closeby, with restaurants, green/pedestrian areas, possibly nice river/water, cultural stuff (photo club!), safe and not too costly.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!! place names, reviews, prices..
Well, Fair Lawn is bordered by the Passaic River, heh heh heh. Sorry, but there are newspaper articles going back to the 1800's about the Passaic's pollution.

Aside from that, there are very nice parks in both Bergen and Passaic Counties that you would enjoy, and the Hackensack River by East Rutherford has a Riverkeeper program with a conservation center and a trail through the meadowlands area. The NJ Meadowlands (where Giants Stadium is located) is actually the end of the Hackensack River.

Fair Lawn itself is a great town for commuting to the city. You have two train stations, and some of the trains express from there.

As another poster stated, Elmwood Park is not awful, but has some issues, and it's not halfway between Fair Lawn and the city but rather adjacent to and maybe even west of Fair Lawn.

You also might want to check out Hawthorne, also adjacent to Fair Lawn. Also has a train station, a nice town pool, and is accessible to everything.

The best part about those areas is that you can go in either direction and in a short time be in the city or go west or north and be in the country, or go south and be at the ocean!

All of these areas are part of the NY Metropolitan area, so there are plenty of cultural events and restaurants.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,755 times
Thanks! No idea of price range as salary hasn't been discussed yet and never lived in US so no clue abt average one. I thought that house prices got down a lot after the bubble burst, am I wrong?? No kids (so far) so schools are no issue. Is it easy to buy a place and sell it after a couple of years/worth it? Or we might just end up renting... As we'r used to London square meters, we defo don't need more than 100!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,313 times
Hi!
Nutley is a great area and very close to both the city and an easy commute to Fair Lawn. I work in Real Estate in this area, so I would love to help you! Let me know if you are interested in some neighborhood data about Nutley and the the surrounding towns.
Best of luck!
Jaime

Old 07-09-2010, 06:21 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
Yeah Rutherford for sure, Stay away from those Russian Jews. Sick people.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:17 AM

5 posts, read 10,994 times
Rutherford is a nice town. Nice mix of jews and christians. Close to nyc. Schools are better than Fairlawn.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:24 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommysharonc View Post
If you consider Chatham, rent or buy$299k, we're 20 mins from Newark Airport and on train line to nyc (easy walk!)...see owners.com/wja7977
whats up with one pic? you'll need more than that in this market! Floorplan? building lobby pics? external shots? What you are saving on realtor commissions you need to spend on advertising and marketing! Get some pro photos and staging done at the very least!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey