Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,997 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am a recent college graduate who just got a job in Franklin Lakes. I am looking to get a place with a friend who is works in Glen Rock. We are looking to spend anywhere between $1200-1600/month in rent.

I am a single 24 year old guy looking for a place that is within a 30 minute commute and is also close to an area with good night life. Night life is more important to us than having a nicer place. I know Hoboken is a fun area; however, I do not want to make that commute everyday. Any suggestions on where I should look to find a place? Also, I hear there are trains that run throughout North Jersey to Hoboken/NYC/Morristown. I am not that familiar with them. Are they convenient/what time they close at night? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 07:55 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspmagic View Post
Hi all. I am a recent college graduate who just got a job in Franklin Lakes. I am looking to get a place with a friend who is works in Glen Rock. We are looking to spend anywhere between $1200-1600/month in rent.

I am a single 24 year old guy looking for a place that is within a 30 minute commute and is also close to an area with good night life. Night life is more important to us than having a nicer place. I know Hoboken is a fun area; however, I do not want to make that commute everyday. Any suggestions on where I should look to find a place? Also, I hear there are trains that run throughout North Jersey to Hoboken/NYC/Morristown. I am not that familiar with them. Are they convenient/what time they close at night? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
Fair Lawn has two train stations on the Bergen County line that run to Hoboken (not Morristown--if you wanted to take a train there, you'd have to switch lines at Secaucus).

Check out the schedule for hours: www.njtransit.com

Fair Lawn is a good town. Access to everything, and there are a lot of apartment complexes there, as well as two-family houses that have rentals. My sister rents a two-bedroom in Fair Lawn in a house, and she pays $1400, so you should be able to find something.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 PM

27 posts, read 80,968 times
Can you list the apartment complexes in Fair Lawn? I only found some really old ones and Fair Lawn Commons which has a huge waiting list and isn't that nice.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:06 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruehling View Post
Can you list the apartment complexes in Fair Lawn? I only found some really old ones and Fair Lawn Commons which has a huge waiting list and isn't that nice.
Fair Lawn Commons is by far the newest and nicest complex in the town (as well as the most expensive). The other complexes are much older, and most of them are garden apartment complexes.

The major ones are:

Park Estates, along Chandler Drive - 50s/early 60s era garden complex, updated maybe 10 years ago.

Knollcroft Gardens, Sheffield Terrace, Sperber Road, Fair Lawn Ave. - 50s/early 60s era garden complex, fairly quiet streets, but the apartments are old and to my knowledge have never been updated. (Have fun dealing with a fuse box.)

Hollow Run, Sperber Road and Stewart Place - This used to be the "old" half of Knollcroft, but the apartments were updated inside and out maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Not sure if the same management runs this apartment complex along with the unupdated Knollcroft ones or if they're two separate companies today.

Radnor Manor, along Pollitt Drive - 50s/early 60s era garden complex, slightly more upscale than Park Estates or Knollcroft, seem to be somewhat updated.

El Dorado Village, off Abbott Road - Very old (1930s?) high rise complex. Not sure what the inside is like, but I'm inclined to believe the apartments are old and not very updated.

You may also want to check out some neighboring towns: Saddle Brook and Hawthorne are OK towns and should have some apartment complexes in town, and will be a little cheaper than Fair Lawn. (I would not recommend Elmwood Village in Elmwood Park: the apartments are very old, not updated, parking is horrific, and the rent is high given the area and the age/condition of the apartments.)

Old 08-04-2011, 12:07 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Only places with what I would consider good nightlife within a decent commute are Montclair or Nyack NY.

Couple other towns like Ridgewood, Hawthorne, Suffern NY, Pearl River NY, and certain areas in Clifton have some nightlife, although to a lesser extent.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 PM

39 posts, read 184,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruehling View Post
They're 12 brand new 2 bedroom rental apartments under construction at the corner of River Road & Fair Lawn Avenue, Next to the Chase bank. They'll be ready early in 2012. Saw the sign while getting Chinese food across the street. The bagels across street are also good. The Empress diner isn't bad either. It might be a little close to Paterson, but the police station is across the street.

More apartments are under construction at the former KEM site. Corner of River Road & Maple Avenue. Also included will be CVS #3 & 7-11 #2. Unfortunately, it's across from the Maple Ave. Bridge.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelland View Post
They're 12 brand new 2 bedroom rental apartments under construction at the corner of River Road & Fair Lawn Avenue, Next to the Chase bank. They'll be ready early in 2012. Saw the sign while getting Chinese food across the street. The bagels across street are also good. The Empress diner isn't bad either. It might be a little close to Paterson, but the police station is across the street.

More apartments are under construction at the former KEM site. Corner of River Road & Maple Avenue. Also included will be CVS #3 & 7-11 #2. Unfortunately, it's across from the Maple Ave. Bridge.
I didn't know KEM was gone. Yes, that's a bad corner/street to live on. When traffic is backed up, you may never get out of your parking lot.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:40 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,668,415 times
You're life will be infinitely better if you are within walking distance to River Road Hot Bagels! IMO Best in Bergen County.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:13 PM

39 posts, read 184,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't know KEM was gone. Yes, that's a bad corner/street to live on. When traffic is backed up, you may never get out of your parking lot.
Friendly's also went out of business. I can guarantee that somebody will knock it down & squeeze apartments into there. That seems to be the new trend on River Road.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelland View Post
Friendly's also went out of business. I can guarantee that somebody will knock it down & squeeze apartments into there. That seems to be the new trend on River Road.
I moved to Monmouth and my sister who lived in Fair Lawn moved to West Milford, so I haven't been through there in a while. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey