Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:57 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,417,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksrich View Post
agreed.

Lets see my wife is a teacher and she makes 42k a year and won't break 50k for 7 years. Thats too much for a qualified teacher?? Um ok I guess the idea of "too much" is a very very very relative term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 06:04 PM

858 posts, read 708,812 times
while I absolutely, positively hate Christie, even I will admit that it's too early to judge him. I do agree with the other post that the effects of him will be felt years down the line (when most people will forget about him and blame someone else). I do think that Christie was wrong in how he did his cuts especially in this economy. He would have achieved the same by cutting the 15-20% he said he would during the election, try to implement his 'toolkit' and then do the further cutting next year. All he did was just layoff thousands of people and affect many business negatively by slashing with no regard.

as for Obama, the bailout was done under bush so make sure that's known. It also doesn't help that he inherited 2 unjust wars from Bush. Also, with the economy being the way it is and unemployment at 10%, everyone being foreclosed etc...what would you want Obama to do? Do you want him to slash funding to everything like Christie? If he did that then unemployment would be at 30% and even less people would have homes...and people who don't like him already would be crying even louder about him.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,781,767 times
I am pretty sour on Obama at this point. For a guy who campaigned on "change" to do so little in the first 1.5 years of his presidency is unexcusable.

While i dont agree with everything Christie does, I think he is on the right track and he has done exactly what he said he would do during the campaign. Its a nice change of pace for a politician.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:51 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,281,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Lets see my wife is a teacher and she makes 42k a year and won't break 50k for 7 years. Thats too much for a qualified teacher?? Um ok I guess the idea of "too much" is a very very very relative term.
If she's making 42k, she's right at the bottom of the pay scale. If she really is well qualified, perhaps you should question the system that puts her at the very bottom of the pay scale. Anyway, she has very little to do with NJ's financial problems. The compensation package of people at the very bottom of the pay scale isn't really the issue. The problem has more to do with compensation levels at the top, the fact that there are way too many people at "the top", and the benefits system is mismanaged (basically, it's an enormous off-balance-sheet liability)

The unions are coping a lot of anger from the public. They make a good lightening rod, because they show a complete lack of empathy for the tax payer -- in fact their agenda is to find new ways to milk tax payers for as much as they can squeeze out.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,781,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
If she's making 42k, she's right at the bottom of the pay scale. If she really is well qualified, perhaps you should question the system that puts her at the very bottom of the pay scale. Anyway, she has very little to do with NJ's financial problems. The compensation package of people at the very bottom of the pay scale isn't really the issue. The problem has more to do with compensation levels at the top, the fact that there are way too many people at "the top", and the benefits system is mismanaged (basically, it's an enormous off-balance-sheet liability)

The unions are coping a lot of anger from the public. They make a good lightening rod, because they show a complete lack of empathy for the tax payer -- in fact their agenda is to find new ways to milk tax payers for as much as they can squeeze out.
My Mother has been working as a teacher in Bergen county for 7-8 years (all at the same grade level in the same school) and makes somewhere between 45-55k. Teachers pay is not as good as most people think. There are cases of great pay, but they usually have been at the school 15+ years or are in an ultra rich town.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 PM

234 posts, read 940,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Please read the Rutgers study that pretty much outlines the fact that salaries of public employees are not the problem. Go ahead and read it and then just come back and say that they are bias.
Can anyone give me a link to this study?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:49 PM

858 posts, read 708,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
My Mother has been working as a teacher in Bergen county for 7-8 years (all at the same grade level in the same school) and makes somewhere between 45-55k. Teachers pay is not as good as most people think. There are cases of great pay, but they usually have been at the school 15+ years or are in an ultra rich town.
i agree. I looked up a friend who has been teaching for 5 years in hudson county and she's still only making $43,000. Yes there are teachers making $85,000 but most of them have been teaching for 25+ years. God forbid someone make enough money after 25 years to put their kids through college or live comfortably.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:51 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,880,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJexpat View Post
Can anyone give me a link to this study?
Hes right about there not the real problems. Bloated Unions , out of control management , theres too many disrects have caused this mess in the Education dept and the same can be said for most agencies there too big in the workforce area.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:00 PM

431 posts, read 943,492 times
WOW

YouTube - Updated 07.15.10, The Decline: The Geography of a Recession by LaToya Egwuekwe (OFFICIAL)

Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 PM

7 posts, read 4,927 times
You are NEVER going to get a Straight, Non-Partisan, Non-Political answer with a thread like this!

Why? because there are people who are LITERALLY on Blinders when it comes to their political horse. Politics truly makes some Very Irrational, Very Bias, & simply blinded.

In this case, some of the people who voted for Christie are the same people who hate Obama.

Look back at their threads. As early as the 2nd, 3rd,4th, 5th, 6th month of Obama's presidency,
these same individuals lambasted Obama on everything he did. None of these people ever said, Obama has only been Prez for a few months.

Yet, today, the heap high heavens of praise, love, admiration to a 6 month Governor Christie while continuing the Obama attacks. The same people are Now Saying, Give Christie a chance, Its Too Early. Hey, did you Give Obama a chance? Did you remind people that its too early to criticize obama back in his 6th month? Re-read their threads & you will see.

Crazy, irrational, bias behavior.

Politics makes some adults act real S T U P I D sometimes. LoL

Has Christie turned around the economy that he inherited from Bush & Corzine ? H E L L NO !
Has Obama turned around the economy that he inherited from Bus ? B I G NO !

Will most of Jersey FEEL THE PAIN of Christies massive cuts in the next 6 to 12 months ??? H E L L YAH !

Has Millions of Americans felt & continue to feel the MASSIVE ECONOMIC DEVASTATION courtesy of Bush & his Republican Congress ???? H E L L YAH !!!

The same individuals who are begging for time for Christie, are the same individuals who were asking for a MAGIC POTION from Obama to fix the Worse economy inherited since the great depression.

Your blinders are too tight boys. You have to take them off some time. Holy Cow !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey