Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,747 times

Advertisements

didnt leave a note? Wanted to wait till the afternoon?? What if the guy had left before you left??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 07:21 AM

614 posts, read 1,375,575 times
DAMN!! Where do you work?! I don't want to work there! They seem a little rough at that place. Anyone ever ding a car by accident?

Old 09-29-2010, 07:53 AM

88,521 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
didnt leave a note? Wanted to wait till the afternoon?? What if the guy had left before you left??
And didn't NOTICE the scratch...

Old 09-29-2010, 01:10 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
If your car was parked next to it, I would try to settle the damages with the other car owner and see if whomever wrote up the summons would drop the charge or reduce it to something else. I think a hit & run is high insurance points too.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:18 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And didn't NOTICE the scratch...

Exactly! Sorry, OP, I don't buy it. Gotta leave a note or the conclusion is that you were hoping it would just go away.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:30 PM

132 posts, read 631,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Exactly! Sorry, OP, I don't buy it. Gotta leave a note or the conclusion is that you were hoping it would just go away.
Same thoughts here. OP was hoping the scratched owner would think it happened elsewhere. People usually curse and shrug off ding/scratches as part of owning a vehicle. Must have been a serious scratch for the owner to request the video tape and call the cops or a seriously pissed off gonna get back at you and wish you are afraid to drive again and move out of state vindictive motorist.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:43 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcjnu View Post
I am a newbie in my company in New Jersey. This morning I scratched the car next to me when I was parking. I saw the scratch when I got off -- minor scratches, no dents or any cracks. I did not know that I should notify the company security, thus I left the parking lot and decided to wait until afternoon so that I can talk to the car owner. At noon the car owner called the police and I got the complaint-summons. Need to go to court. Obviously the police regarded it as hit-and-run. I was very honest the whole time and told the policeman all that happened.

I am so scared. It is my 2nd week at work and I do not want to screw it up. Most importantly, I did not have malicious intention when this accident happened. I did not run, nor did I parked my car elsewhere to cover up after the accident.

Could anyone tell me how to present myself in court? Should I plea guilty or not? And what will the consequences be? Will I get my license suspended or something?

Many thanks!!!!!
Technically, the first thing you should do when involved in any type of fender bender is to call the police and then notify your insurance carrier. Of course, most people in your situation would just try to find the owner and offer to pay for the damage, which would probably turn out O.K. as long as the owner didn't blame you for additional scratches you didn't cause.

That said, this was only a scratch so you won't go to jail. But, you'll probably end up paying more money than if you had just reported it, especially if you're convicted of a hit and run which will add points to your license and jack up your insurance rates.

If it's just a scratch it would have likely cost less than your deductible to fix, so you would have paid for it instead of the insurance company and your rates would be unaffected.

How did you know he/she wouldn't be coming out to the garage at any moment to go on a business errand or go home early? You could have at least left a note.

Last edited by LisaMc46; 09-29-2010 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-29-2010, 06:41 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
DAMN!! Where do you work?! I don't want to work there! They seem a little rough at that place. Anyone ever ding a car by accident?
No, but if I did, I would leave a note. Why should someone else have to pay for damage caused by MY carelessness?

Old 09-30-2010, 06:05 AM

23,537 posts, read 17,211,948 times
Default what kind of car did you scratch?

It is my understanding that the cops don't get involved when these type of problems occur in private lots, at least from the perspective of issuing tickets.

Can someone clarify, I know there is some private vs public issue that affects the issuance of tickets?

If you are from 'away', keep in mind cars are very personal to some folks and not just 'transportation'.

Any scratches may not be taken lightly, especially if the car is new and monthly payments are high. Scratches devalue a car big time.

The cost of repair when a factory tri-coat paint job is involed is big bucks especially when some of the colors cost around $300 a quart just for one component of a two or three part paint system.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:41 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
It is my understanding that the cops don't get involved when these type of problems occur in private lots, at least from the perspective of issuing tickets.

Can someone clarify, I know there is some private vs public issue that affects the issuance of tickets?
That may be a legal "out", I don't know 100% for sure but my thought would be they have no jurisdiction on private property unless the owner of the parking lot grants them authority.

The OP may be able to settle the damages then claim no jurisdiction on the MV violation. However IANAL (I am not a lawyer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: