Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:42 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
As much as I do not usually agree with these so called BbBbbBBbbBaptists (excuse my stuttering)., I agree we should almost always allow anyone hateful or not and agreeable or not to say and state whatever they want to say. By the same token if someone got incensed at these clowns and things got physical, well that can be allowed too. Hate is never any crime. Suppression of free speech is.
So your defending them , lets just hope Karma does come back and strike you later in life. There is alot of hate in this world , you seem to be in Denial....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,664,631 times
Quote:
So your defending them , lets just hope Karma does come back and strike you later in life
As distasteful as their message might be, are you saying the First Amendment only applies to messages you believe in? Should we pick and chose what other Amendments we will allow? That's the point of Freedom.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:40 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
And what about the right of a grieving family to have a funeral without a bunch of wackos yelling the most vile things you can think of about the deceased?

I'm all for free speech, but there has to be limits. And in this case I think the freedom of speech is trumped by common decency.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 PM

Unfortunately, that's the price of having these freedoms. I have no love for those that burn the flag. But beyond creating a hazard by the flames, should they not have the freedom to do so?

They have their limits when the show up but they cannot be totally removed from the families view from what I have seen. Freedom of speech has some limitations. Their comments while vile to many is protected. Limited standards have been put into place to limit their confrontation with the families and friends. they are looking for just that and have made millions suing anyone who infringes on their appearances. That is their aim in life. To create confrontation.

Surprisingly, some of the defenders of their right to do those things, as distastefully as they are, are the survivors of those being buried because they know better than anyone what it takes to maintain those rights.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:29 PM

I prefer some common sense over some of these freedoms then.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I prefer some common sense over some of these freedoms then.
I don't think that's how the founding father's thought it would work. I work a charity match every year for military Reserve families and have become friendly with a group of Gold Star mothers. They are defenders of those freedoms and they have more right than anyone to have a say. They take them for what they are...nothing more than a bunch of publicity seeking idiots. They know they have the support of the towns and cities and country in general. So a few idiots show up. It's not worth their attention.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:35 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
As disgusting as these "people" are, in no way should we tinker with the first amendment.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
I don't think that's how the founding father's thought it would work. I work a charity match every year for military Reserve families and have become friendly with a group of Gold Star mothers. They are defenders of those freedoms and they have more right than anyone to have a say. They take them for what they are...nothing more than a bunch of publicity seeking idiots. They know they have the support of the towns and cities and country in general. So a few idiots show up. It's not worth their attention.
I'm not sure I care how the founding fathers thought it would work. I can only tell you what I think. And I would be all for a law that prevented these people from protesting at funerals. Or anyone at funerals for that matter.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
And I would be all for a law that prevented these people from protesting at funerals.
Some limits are in place but once again their right of assembly would be infringed. The point of this group is to push officials into making a decision that violates their rights, then they file a Federal suit and usually winning. They have been successful in to that extent. Make no mistake about it, they know exactly how far they can go and every one of their rights.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Just more Tea Baggers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey