Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 09:07 PM

9 posts, read 35,439 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to either Jersey City or Hoboken in a few months with a small dog. I'm leaning towards these areas because I like their more urban vibe while still making it possible to own a car. (I have family and friends in suburban Jersey I would like to easily visit.) The easy commute to Manhattan where I will be working would be a big plus too.

My price range for an apartment would ideally be between 1750-2000, not including garage fees.

Would it be practical to have a dog in Jersey City? I do see some apartments there advertising they allow dogs, but would want to be sure it would be safe to walk her even after dark.

If JC doesn't make sense for this, I would prob go to Hoboken, though I'm not excited about what seem to be considerably higher rents there. I also am having some trouble finding pet-friendly buildings there.

Any advice on this would be welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 03:59 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Check out Newport...its kind of in between both and has rental towers that accept dogs. It's a safe area and a quick commute. Parts of JC are totally safe especially downtown and the waterfront. Journal Square can get a little dicey but also has parts that are fine.

http://www.newportnj.com/residences/...-rental-towers

Old 11-12-2010, 06:15 PM

303 posts, read 752,202 times
JC is your best bet. For your price range, you can easily find an apartment that allows dogs in any section of the city. My sister just recently moved into a building in the Heights section of JC that allows dogs for $1000/mth for a 2bd. I must admit it isn't the most luxurious apartment but it is possible, so it shouldn't be too hard for you. Though if you plan on walking your dog around at night i would recommend downtown JC. The Heights isn't the worst place in terms of crime, but incidents do happen here and there. Both downtown & the Heights are equally adjacent to Hoboken and all are accessible to each other via light rail or a short bus ride (dont drive into Hoboken, parking is just like nyc). The Heights though can be a drag to find parking at night and sometimes during the day. Downtown has more space for parking or you can simply rent in a building that has a garage. You can also look in the Journal Square area, which is real close to the PATH terminal which gives you access to nyc, downtown, HBK, and Newark without hassle. J.sq though can be a sketchy place at night, so that is out of the question for you. Downtown does have more Train stations (Grove St, Newport, Exchange place) and gives you a shorter ride into nyc. The Heights has no train station but a quick bus ride to J.Sq (max 10min) is available, and the jitney buses seem to never run out lol, they run more often then NJT's big buses. Not much of a waiting period for the buses.

So in all, check the Heights section or Downtown(Newport, Paulus Hook, included, some people like to think those sections as a separate district). Considering your price range, it won't be too hard and both locations are not high crime areas. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Hope this helped a bit, good look in your search.

Last edited by JC1990; 11-12-2010 at 06:25 PM..

Old 11-12-2010, 08:42 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
If you are concerned about walking at night, you do not want to live in the Heights. Not saying it is bad, just someone that is unsure of themselves would probably not feel comfortable there.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 PM

9 posts, read 35,439 times
Thanks everyone! I'll probably focus my search on the downtown and Newport areas. One more question: when people on this forum refer to living in "downtown" JC, are they usually referring to the part with all the financial district skyscrapers or the lower-rise area to the west before the interstate?

Old 11-12-2010, 11:36 PM

303 posts, read 752,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside20 View Post
Thanks everyone! I'll probably focus my search on the downtown and Newport areas. One more question: when people on this forum refer to living in "downtown" JC, are they usually referring to the part with all the financial district skyscrapers or the lower-rise area to the west before the interstate?
Area with the skyscrapers. the "Nice & clean" place. I-78 extension (Turnpike) is what separates the downtown from the west of the city. North of downtown is bordered by HBK and southern part of downtown is bordered by Liberty State Park.

I uploaded 2 pics to help you get a better picture of what downtown consists of. The map on the left is a little more visual and detailed, albeit cartoony, but shows the different areas and there names. Though any Jersey Cityite or Jersey cityans,,w.e i don't even know what were called considers Newport, Paulus Hook, Exchange Place, Waldo and the other sections down there all a part of Downtown. It works in the same way as nyc's boroughs, for example Park Slope in Brooklyn in nyc. ( Newport in Downtown in JC). Hope that helps you too. Glad too have you consider this great city as a place for you to stay, hopefully you like this place enough you decide to stay for a long time.

http://www.kannekt.com/maps/jerseyhead.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Jersey City (or Hoboken?) with dog?-map.jpg   Jersey City (or Hoboken?) with dog?-staticmap.gif  

Last edited by JC1990; 11-13-2010 at 12:16 AM..

Old 12-12-2010, 06:33 PM

10 posts, read 51,660 times
hi there,
I'm sort of in the middle of the same search. I'm not sure if these fit in your price range but I think all of these places accept dogs.
Good luck!

Jersey City
The Columbus
50 Christopher Columbus Drive
Jersey City
201-434-2700

Newport Rental Office for Aquablu
100 Town Square Place
Jersey City, NJ 07310
201 626-5000
* Aqua located on 110 River Drive

Southhampton
20 River Court
Jersey City, NJ 07310
201-626-5001

Hoboken
150 Bay Street Lofts
Hoboken, NJ

The Berkshire
One 14th St
Hoboken, NJ 07030
201 795.5110

800 Madison St
Hoboken NJ 07030
Located at 8th and Madison

The Cliffs at Jersey City
101 Marshall Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030

Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeside20 View Post
I'm planning to move to either Jersey City or Hoboken in a few months with a small dog. I'm leaning towards these areas because I like their more urban vibe while still making it possible to own a car. (I have family and friends in suburban Jersey I would like to easily visit.) The easy commute to Manhattan where I will be working would be a big plus too.

My price range for an apartment would ideally be between 1750-2000, not including garage fees.

Would it be practical to have a dog in Jersey City? I do see some apartments there advertising they allow dogs, but would want to be sure it would be safe to walk her even after dark.

If JC doesn't make sense for this, I would prob go to Hoboken, though I'm not excited about what seem to be considerably higher rents there. I also am having some trouble finding pet-friendly buildings there.

Any advice on this would be welcome.

Thanks!
the decent areas of JC are really no cheaper than Hoboken. I'm sure JC has some nice dog parks, good space, etc. Hoboken has some good dog parks spread throughout the town, and there are lots of dog friendly apartments (and tons of dogs).

Parking is a rip off in both towns. I'd probably forgo the car and just do something like Zipcar or Hertz Connect when you need one.

i rented at 78 jefferson st in hoboken. that building allows animals. i know there are tons more that do. have you spoken to any realtors yet?

also - any considerations to finding a roomate? 2 bedrooms split between 2 people is much cheaper than a 1 bedroom or large studio, typically, in Hoboken/Newport.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:11 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
the decent areas of JC are really no cheaper than Hoboken. I'm sure JC has some nice dog parks, good space, etc. Hoboken has some good dog parks spread throughout the town, and there are lots of dog friendly apartments (and tons of dogs).

Parking is a rip off in both towns. I'd probably forgo the car and just do something like Zipcar or Hertz Connect when you need one.

i rented at 78 jefferson st in hoboken. that building allows animals. i know there are tons more that do. have you spoken to any realtors yet?

also - any considerations to finding a roomate? 2 bedrooms split between 2 people is much cheaper than a 1 bedroom or large studio, typically, in Hoboken/Newport.
Agreed, the nice parts of Jersey City are equivalent in rent to Hoboken. Both places are nice, Hoboken is more preppy/soccer momish, JC tends to be more artsy in feel.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:13 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Agreed, the nice parts of Jersey City are equivalent in rent to Hoboken. Both places are nice, Hoboken is more preppy/soccer momish, JC tends to be more artsy in feel.
i think you more or less hit it. lots of yuppies. lots of young families (dunno if that's really soccer mom). and yeah, JC is a bit more artsy depending on where you are. i always got the sense that more families lived in JC in many parts because it's less nightlife though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey