Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Come to the higher elevations here in NW New Jersey. Anything but flat!
If you know how to drive in the snow and ice, steep roads shouldn't be a problem. We're always driving on icy hillsides here. We get more ice than snow here.

Here's some tips for you:

Going up hill isn't dangerous so don't slow down or you'll get stuck. Everyone behind you will be mad at you for not knowing how to drive in the snow because your getting stuck causes them to slow down and get stuck. Along the same line of thought, never let up on the gas when your tires start spinning. Don't be afraid of spinning tires, bad things won't happen.

Snow = Traction. If your tires are spinning, move to the side a bit to get your wheels out of the worn tire tracks. You'll gain traction where there is snow.

Although illegal in many states, put your car in neutral going downhill. That way when you put on your breaks, your car isn't fighting against your engine and you won't slide. Of course, go slowly downhill. Downhill is dangerous, uphill isn't dangerous. (Unless of course if you are going uphill on solid ice. I slid backwards down the hill. That was fun! I love the challenge of driving in bad weather!) But ice shouldn't be a problem in a blizzard. There should be plenty of snow for traction.

In ice, if your car goes out of control doing downhill, direct it into a high snow drift on the side of the road. (I had to do that once when I crested the top of a mountain and the other side of the mountain was freezing rain without warning. It was fun. Nobody got hurt. The car wasn't damaged.)

Keep distance between you and other drivers, not for safety but to prevent getting stuck if they are idiot drivers. When someone is heading up a hill, wait at the bottom of the hill until they are done. That way you won't have to slow down. The same goes for downhill. Your biggest enemy in bad weather is other drivers, not the snow or ice. Give everyone space and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 12:14 PM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Come to the higher elevations here in NW New Jersey. Anything but flat!
I used to live in West Paterson, now renamed Woodland Park. The town is on the side of Garrett Mountain. After nine years there I swore I would live somewhere flat, and now I'm in Monmouth County.

The coastal areas and southern part of the state are flat, but not north and northwest.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:27 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,244,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to live in West Paterson, now renamed Woodland Park. The town is on the side of Garrett Mountain. After nine years there I swore I would live somewhere flat, and now I'm in Monmouth County.

The coastal areas and southern part of the state are flat, but not north and northwest.
Yes that's right. I wasn't even thinking about West Paterson. Other parts of Passaic county have some hilly areas as well (West Milford for example). Highest elevation in Vernon (Sussex County) with a population is at about 1,300 feet. Driving can be quite a challenge up here during the winter.

Last edited by ilovemycomputer90; 12-27-2010 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: mis-worded

Old 12-27-2010, 12:30 PM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Yes that's right. I wasn't even thinking about West Paterson. Other parts of Passaic county have some hilly areas as well (West Milford for example). Highest populated area in Vernon (Sussex County) is at about 1,300 feet. Driving can be quite a challenge up here during the winter.
My daughter took horseback riding lessons in West Milford, and as part of paying for their lessons, the girls cleaned the stables and turned out the horses on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Just brought back memories of climbing up an icy Germantown Road at 7 a.m. on winter mornings in my van...

I love Sussex County, too.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:48 PM

719 posts, read 1,555,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you know how to drive in the snow and ice, steep roads shouldn't be a problem. We're always driving on icy hillsides here. We get more ice than snow here.

Here's some tips for you:

Going up hill isn't dangerous so don't slow down or you'll get stuck. Everyone behind you will be mad at you for not knowing how to drive in the snow because your getting stuck causes them to slow down and get stuck. Along the same line of thought, never let up on the gas when your tires start spinning. Don't be afraid of spinning tires, bad things won't happen.

Snow = Traction. If your tires are spinning, move to the side a bit to get your wheels out of the worn tire tracks. You'll gain traction where there is snow.

Although illegal in many states, put your car in neutral going downhill. That way when you put on your breaks, your car isn't fighting against your engine and you won't slide. Of course, go slowly downhill. Downhill is dangerous, uphill isn't dangerous. (Unless of course if you are going uphill on solid ice. I slid backwards down the hill. That was fun! I love the challenge of driving in bad weather!) But ice shouldn't be a problem in a blizzard. There should be plenty of snow for traction.

In ice, if your car goes out of control doing downhill, direct it into a high snow drift on the side of the road. (I had to do that once when I crested the top of a mountain and the other side of the mountain was freezing rain without warning. It was fun. Nobody got hurt. The car wasn't damaged.)

Keep distance between you and other drivers, not for safety but to prevent getting stuck if they are idiot drivers. When someone is heading up a hill, wait at the bottom of the hill until they are done. That way you won't have to slow down. The same goes for downhill. Your biggest enemy in bad weather is other drivers, not the snow or ice. Give everyone space and you'll be fine.
I don't normally like to correct people, but there is some rather dangerous advice here. (I have many years of driving in ski country of WNY!)
Spinning tires: can be very dangerous if the tires are spinning while the vehicle in is motion. This should be a warning to you::: you do not have control of your vehicle. remain calm and Slow down gradually until wheels are no longer spinning.
If your stuck (not moving) and trying to get unstuck, don't red-line your engine. Slowly apply the gas while in gear ("D)" and then reverse at low/idle RPM (to not damage transmission). Try to rock your vehicle out. Carry a bag of kitty litter to put under drive wheels to aid traction. Extreme tire spinning can damage your vehicle and/or your tires.
Most important thing I want to get accross is this - Do not ever put your vehicle in Neutral going down hill in snow or slippery conditions. This is extremely dangerous. What you want to do is downshift your vehicle before you get going too fast. If it's a very steep hill and your vehicle is an automatic transmission, put it in "D2" and gentle tap brakes if vehicle begins to accellerate. If you have a Standard Transmission, usually 2nd gear works, but obviously tailor this to the situation. You DO NOT go down a steep grade in neutral in any driving scenario, especially if roads are slick or snowy / icy.
If you live in an area that gets frequent snow and is hilly, snow tires (studded if allowable) are the best defense you can have. Better than 4x4. Spend the money to get them!
Hopes last statement is spot-on: "give everyone space"

Old 12-27-2010, 01:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,761,195 times
This is the worst one in my area that I can remember. Its 3ft in the yard, drifts of 5 ft in the corners and the roads just will not stay clear. I live on a main street and while its been plowed, sanded and salted multiple times the wind just keeps blowing snow back into the street.

I have seen a few big snowfalls but never have I been unable to dig out the next day like this time. Hopefully the wind dies down tomorrow so we can dig out since nothing makes me want to leave the house like being unable to do so.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:08 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,244,325 times
When driving down hills, I put my car in 1st or 2nd gear, not neutral. You'll have more control.

And BigD is right about the transmissions. Many people kill their transmission during snowstorms trying to get their cars out. I would rather keep the couple grand that it'll cost to replace it.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:29 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,726,239 times
another bust of a storm. maybe 6" here, and with the wind blowing, I see ground. Roads are fine in these parts.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,155,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
I don't normally like to correct people, but there is some rather dangerous advice here. (I have many years of driving in ski country of WNY!)
Spinning tires: can be very dangerous if the tires are spinning while the vehicle in is motion. This should be a warning to you::: you do not have control of your vehicle. remain calm and Slow down gradually until wheels are no longer spinning.
Your line of thinking is the exact reason people get stuck on hills. If the wheels spin, you don't take your foot off of the gas. You do gradually slow down, but not to the point of losing momentum. Your tires will catch hold if you keep moving. Definitely don't press harder on the gas when the wheels are turning. But the worst thing a person can do is slow down.

Quote:
Most important thing I want to get accross is this - Do not ever put your vehicle in Neutral going down hill in snow or slippery conditions. This is extremely dangerous.
It's dangerous for people who don't know how to keep their hands on the gears and remain calm under pressure so they can switch to drive if needed. You're not speaking to an inexperienced driver here. I am the master at driving in snow and ice. But I recognize this isn't advice I should be giving to the general masses because they typically aren't able to remain calm because they are afraid of bad weather roads. s a result, I retract my neutral advice for that reason.

Quote:
Hopes last statement is spot-on: "give everyone space"
Exactly! Our worst enemies are other drivers, not the snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90
And BigD is right about the transmissions. Many people kill their transmission during snowstorms trying to get their cars out. I would rather keep the couple grand that it'll cost to replace it.
I've never gotten stuck. I don't really understand how people manage to get their cars stuck. They must not know how to drive in the snow.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:59 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,833,755 times
I was stuck in Journal Square for 16 hours all night due to the blizzard. Every bus and train wasn't operating. Try sleeping on the JSQ floor around 100s of stranded strangers, it's a lost cause and you'll end up with a pounding headache.

I don't know what I was thinking going into work yesterday. I didn't know it would be that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey