Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:41 PM

854 posts, read 2,863,841 times

Advertisements

i am driving a 300 whp, turbocharged FWD car... absolutely no problems. the most important thing is that you get a good set of winter tires (bridgestone blizzak for example). and just be smart and don't go too fast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 03:55 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
i am driving a 300 whp, turbocharged FWD car... absolutely no problems. the most important thing is that you get a good set of winter tires (bridgestone blizzak for example). and just be smart and don't go too fast...
Not that much HP, but brings me back to the days when I drove a turbocharged Saab. LOL, you never experienced torque steer 'til you drove that beast! Awesome car, though, and great in the snow.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:34 PM

614 posts, read 1,376,189 times
It must have been a P.I.T.A back in the day when most cars were Rear wheel drive. How did people live?? MY GOD!! the horror.. That must have really sucked I know what it's like to drive a RWD car in bad weather (No I'm not that old) it was a 5.0 Mustang and it was no good in snow... but it was a lot of fun though! The pony sat in the garage and I bought a winter beater.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:54 PM

77 posts, read 154,204 times
Rear wheel drive cars with modern traction control and winter tires, piloted by a competent driver, are better in the snow than virtually ANY car of twenty years ago, and superior in almost every other driving condition. AWD is as much a marketing ploy as a need. Virtually every police car used by the NJSP is rear wheel drive.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo1213 View Post
Rear wheel drive cars with modern traction control and winter tires, piloted by a competent driver, are better in the snow than virtually ANY car of twenty years ago, and superior in almost every other driving condition. AWD is as much a marketing ploy as a need. Virtually every police car used by the NJSP is rear wheel drive.
My RWD Mustang with all weather tires and traction control and antilock brakes performs outrageously good in the snow up to 2 or 3 inches. More than that not so good.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
It must have been a P.I.T.A back in the day when most cars were Rear wheel drive. How did people live?? MY GOD!! the horror.. That must have really sucked I know what it's like to drive a RWD car in bad weather (No I'm not that old) it was a 5.0 Mustang and it was no good in snow... but it was a lot of fun though! The pony sat in the garage and I bought a winter beater.
Reminds me of an old quote about the "sport" of drifting. It went something like this:

"I just can't get into any "sport" that 90 year old grandmom's in Detroit driving Chevy Caprice Classics have beyond mastered."

Old 01-11-2011, 09:41 AM

614 posts, read 1,376,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
My RWD Mustang with all weather tires and traction control and antilock brakes performs outrageously good in the snow up to 2 or 3 inches. More than that not so good.
Yea Mustangs of today are better in bad weather then the ones of the 80's like I had. Mine slide when it was a dusting of snow up an inch WITH good tires and a good driver.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:52 AM

912 posts, read 2,446,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo1213 View Post
Agree 100%. The worst thing about AWD, 4WD and SUVs in general is that people who drive them think they can drive in the middle of a blizzard as if they're driving a BMW M3 on a warm, sunny spring afternoon.

I roll my eyes every time an SUV driver drones on about "safety" when he's driving a vehicle more likely to roll than any other, and has worse braking distance and handling than any car. Makes zero sense.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
FWD with snow tires IMO is better than AWD or 4WD with just about anything but snow tires. currently have AWD subaru with snow tires. I believe my FWD was much more easy to control if you do not necessarily know what you are doing. I.e. it can drift/oversteer like a RWD car.

havent really had a chance to take it to a parking lot and let it rip haha

also at one point had a saab 900 turbo. fun car.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:37 AM

119 posts, read 492,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
AWD (all Wheel Drive) is one of the best. My Honda CRV is great because ALL WHEELS are activated! Second best is FWD (front wheel drive). Rear wheel drive is so 1970's, horrible for traction.

4x4 is only good when already stuck. takes up too much gas.
I'll agree with you when you say that all wheel drive is the best.
Subarus have all wheel drive, where all wheels are activated all the time.

The CRV, however, is not all wheel drive. It is a Front Wheel Drive system most of the time, and when or if it feels the wheels slipping, the 4 wheel drive system engages. They advertise it as 4 wheel drive, and as such the 4 wheel drive system is not activated all the time, otherwise they would call it all wheel drive. I had a CRV before I bought a Subaru. It never got stuck in the snow and was trouble-free for all the years that I owned it. I'd certainly recommend it, but I think the Subaru's system is better in the snow and wet pavement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey