Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 PM

9 posts, read 20,460 times

Advertisements

for a high functioning autistic 6 year old. He will be entering KG, I would like a full day KG program, but half day will be ok as long as they have inclusion with co-teaching/parallel teaching. This is our #1 criteria. He needs to go to a public school and be included with typical peers. And the method of reinforcement should not be ABA based. I also have another child(typical) who will go to 5th grade, so it's important to have a good school for that child as well.

Our budget is about 700-800k and would like a newish home (7-8 years old max).

So far, we've been thinking about Cedar Grove, Montville, Paramus and recently saw something in Fairfield. Which leads me to another question, should I avoid Fairfield entirely because of possible floods? I know that not all areas are flood zones, but when I was reading about floods in the past few years, I read something about warnings to evacuate all Fairfield residents.

Any info about the above districts or any other suggestions would be appreciated. We don't want to go too north, west or south since my husband commutes into NYC.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 AM

205 posts, read 693,893 times
I don't know anything about those school districts, but I would think finding a "newish" home might be difficult. You might have more luck with newly rennovated, which is some cases can look as good as new and higher quality.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:27 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,084,235 times
I can't help you with your school district question, but I just moved to NNJ in September and I wanted to tell you I absolutely LOVE it out here. Its towns and winding roads are beautiful and the people in my town are really friendly and down to earth (I'm not too far from Paramus). I personally wouldn't go to Paramus, it seems too busy and congested to me but what do I know having just gotten here; I haven't heard of the other towns.

I agree with Lilycharm that you can make an older home look spectacular inside with a renovation. I re-did my 1950's home and it looks great and wasn't even that expensive, even though I bought very high quality materials. I did the 3 bathrooms, opened up the living room and dining room by knocking down a few walls, re-tyled the bathroom floors with travertine and an interesting yet casual marble floor in the kitchen and downstairs den (which had a 40 year old carpet), changed out all of the doors, casings, light switches, vent covers, and added a layer of molding to the floor boards, and of course painted and sanded the hard-wood floors (which are the old style thin slats and not these new pre-fab floor boards). The house had recently been re-sided so the outside looked fresh already. I got to choose the exact materials and designs I wanted and my house turned out beautifully.

Hope you find something great for your children.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,950,251 times
I would check out the Ridgewood school district based on what you are looking for. You are not, however, going to find a new house for $700k there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey