Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:01 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

I go to A&P and after examining my totals over 6 months (yes, I'm a nerd like that), I've concluded that A&P is cheaper. I'm the only one who feels that way, I know.

A&P for non sale items is more expensive than SR, but A&P's sales are better, since I normally only shop sales, I spend less.

The aisles are wider and the store is NEVER crowded, unlike my Shop Rite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
I go to Pathmark a lot because I feel like it's cheaper than Shoprite. Also, the aisles are much wider and it's less crowded in general. I hate crowded grocery stores.

HOWEVER, I agree that Pathmark's quality is inferior (I think that would explain the less crowdedness). Also, the wider aisles mean less selection than Shoprite. I totally know what you guys are talking about with the cramped aisled at Shoprite, but...that means a much bigger bonanza to choose from...not just more brands but more STUFF...just more of everything. And I feel like Shoprite's produce is fresher.

I used to go to the Pathmark all the time in Livingston. I liked it much better when it was a Grand Union. But good ol' Pathmark is just fine for stocking up on basics.
Pathmark was our go to store when I lived in Cedar Grove. There are none by me.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:59 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I go to A&P and after examining my totals over 6 months (yes, I'm a nerd like that), I've concluded that A&P is cheaper. I'm the only one who feels that way, I know.

A&P for non sale items is more expensive than SR, but A&P's sales are better, since I normally only shop sales, I spend less.

The aisles are wider and the store is NEVER crowded, unlike my Shop Rite.

Nope, I agree. A&P has really had great sales over the past couple of years and I've gone to them more than Shop Rite for the same reason you mentioned. However, the sales have been a bit worse the past couple of months, and Shop Rite seems to be beating them again. (I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.)

Shop Rites do vary wildly in quality/shopping experience. I've gone on record here stating how I can't stand the Fair Lawn Shop Rite. Nasty customers, nasty staff, they have a very hard time keeping sale items in stock, and they often have inadequate help.

And yet, a few miles away in Rochelle Park, the experience is so much nicer. The crowd is diverse and a bit blue-collar, like in Fair Lawn, but they (at least somewhat) know how to behave themselves, unlike the Fair Lawn crowd. The staff is much nicer, they have more help at busy times, and they're much better at keeping sale items in stock. The only problem with the Rochelle Park Shop Rite (and the other Glass owned Shop Rites) is their bakery departments are terrible.

My favorite Shop Rite is in Ramsey, but it's a bit far for me to go to regularly. Nice staff, lots of help, good at keeping sale items in stock. The crowd can be a bit uppity for my tastes at times, but I'll take someone complaining about the lack of organic milk from vegan cows born and raised in Andorra over someone telling their one-year old to shut the f- up so they can argue with the office clerk over how their losing lottery tickets are worth $5,000 any day of the week.

As for Pathmark, well I go there once in a blue moon when they have a great sale. But it seems like since James Karen stopped being their spokesperson sometime in the mid-90s, they've become run down and dilapidated, and they've become even more so since A&P took over. I don't think there are any good Pathmarks, but the "least bad" ones are the ones in Ramsey and Hackensack. The one in Elmwood Park isn't horrible, but the crowd there can roll pretty hard at times.

Fairway beats them all, however. Great stuff, great quality, great sales. The staff can be a bit surly at times, but the crowd is economically, ethnically, and racially diverse. And they know how to behave themselves (for the most part, anyway).

And when are we going to get a Wegman's in North Jersey? Then Pathmark, A&P, and even Shop-Rite will really need to step things up. They're terrific.

Last edited by zhelder; 01-18-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Nope, I agree. A&P has really had great sales over the past couple of years and I've gone to them more than Shop Rite for the same reason you mentioned. However, the sales have been a bit worse the past couple of months, and Shop Rite seems to be beating them again. (I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.)

<snip>

And when are we going to get a Wegman's in North Jersey? Then Pathmark, A&P, and even Shop-Rite will really need to step things up. They're terrific.
You know, I wonder if this has to do with their "Lower Price Project" - they are lowering prices on some items a bit, but to make up for the shortfall their normally good sales aren't as good as they used to be.

The LPP is pissing me off actually, because they present it as a permanent lowering, when in fact it's only for a week or two. Nevertheless, Shop Rite's too insane for me to switch.

I really really would kill someone for a Wegmans!

Old 01-18-2011, 04:09 PM

614 posts, read 1,376,043 times
[quote=zhelder;17470833]
As for Pathmark, well I go there once in a blue moon when they have a great sale. But it seems like James Karen stopped being their spokesperson sometime in the mid-90s, they've become run down and dilapidated, and they've become even more so since A&P took over. I don't think there are any good Pathmarks, but the "least bad" ones are the ones in Ramsey and Hackensack. The one in Elmwood Park isn't horrible, but the crowd there can roll pretty hard at times. quote]

He stopped being their spokes person because he's old.He was born November 28, 1923 (11-28- 1923) (age 87) he must look pretty bad I mean... he's old! maybe he's sick like cancer or something.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:11 PM

614 posts, read 1,376,043 times
Ok my post didn't look like I thought it was. hmm

Old 01-18-2011, 04:13 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post

He stopped being their spokes person because he's old.He was born November 28, 1923 (11-28- 1923) (age 87) he must look pretty bad I mean... he's old! maybe he's sick like cancer or something.
So what? Bob Barker's 87 too, and boy, oh boy, what I wouldn't give to have him back hosting the Price is Right.

And James Karen is still a pretty active actor. 87 or not, he'll still blow Kelly Ripa out of the water on the spokesperson front.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:25 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
So you all know that A&P owns Pathmark and the parent company of A&P, The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, has filed for Chapter 11 (Bankruptcy).

Anyone with gift cards to any of the 4 stores, SuperFresh, A&P, Waldbaum's, and Pathmark needs to use them.

I have always liked A&P, been shopping there since the 50s. I alternate between A&P and Shoprite, with Shoprite having the better "combo" deal sales, but not overall sales. It depends what you are buying. I've shopped A&P/Shoprite all over NJ, from the shore area north, and from the eastern border (Jersey City/Bayonne) to the far western border and NY as well. Some stores are great, others are nasty.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,636 times
Shoprite has great prices. However, Wegmans has better quality but alot more expensive. Pathmark used to be king back in the 90's but tanked since.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 PM

52 posts, read 149,092 times
I don't suppose we're getting Wegmans around here by any chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey