Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:45 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times

Advertisements

has anyone had their water tested? home depot seems to be pushing this through Atlantic Water...i think they're basically going to try selling a water filtration system...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 07:47 PM

312 posts, read 1,164,514 times
We had our water tested free by culligan and the technician who came seemed pretty honest. The testing was really more for determining the hardness of our water (which we already knew was hard). We already have filters. We have a very cheap whole house water filter from sears which removes only bigger particles and we have a reverse osmosis filter for only drinking water and water running into the fridge, also from sears. We also have a water softener from sears which is horrible and we'll eventually purchase a water softener from Culligan. The technician confirmed for us that our drinking water was being properly filtered and that our water was indeed hard.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
We had our water tested free by culligan and the technician who came seemed pretty honest. The testing was really more for determining the hardness of our water (which we already knew was hard). We already have filters. We have a very cheap whole house water filter from sears which removes only bigger particles and we have a reverse osmosis filter for only drinking water and water running into the fridge, also from sears. We also have a water softener from sears which is horrible and we'll eventually purchase a water softener from Culligan. The technician confirmed for us that our drinking water was being properly filtered and that our water was indeed hard.
turns out to be RainSoft through Home Depot. of course it's the hard sell (but 3 days to rescind). It seems like a good system, but i'm not sure how to compare it. It's definitely one of the pricier systems. I did some googling and of course good and bad is out there. wondering if any real people on here have any experience with it.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,665,095 times
The water company tests are worthless for testing water quality. If you are testing city water, then it really isn't needed. For well water, a certified lab is the only accurate test but cost run about two hundred and up. the cheap testing done on site proves nothing and will not determine harmful ingredients in the water.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
The water company tests are worthless for testing water quality. If you are testing city water, then it really isn't needed. For well water, a certified lab is the only accurate test but cost run about two hundred and up. the cheap testing done on site proves nothing and will not determine harmful ingredients in the water.
probably true...but do i need a test to tell me NJ water is crap?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:52 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,065,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
probably true...but do i need a test to tell me NJ water is crap?
NJ water isn't crap, at least mine isn't. Not sure where you live.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:56 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times
I use a large under sink water filter (2 filters about 15" tall--a large Brita filter essentially) that goes to our fridge and water filler faucet. It reduces a whole slew of things that may or may not be present. lead, MTBes, benzene, chlorine, etc. It does taste better and my wife feels better about it. who knows what the water could pick up in miles of old pipes?

I dont know if it is or not required. we get notices from Ridgewood water about possible lead in the water (i guess it depends on which pipes you are on?)

i don't really like soft water but find that it does do the dishes better in the dishwasher. i am not sure what it does for laundry.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,178,306 times
NJ water taste like crap, even with filter. I didn't realize it was that bad until I was at my mom's home in NYC. The water there is like million time better. Actually taste fresh, without any filter.

I just don't understand, why is it such a big different?

Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,065,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
NJ water taste like crap, even with filter. I didn't realize it was that bad until I was at my mom's home in NYC. The water there is like million time better. Actually taste fresh, without any filter.

I just don't understand, why is it such a big different?
Where do you live? My water tastes great.

I don't think you can make generalizations that the entire state has water that tastes like crap since there are many sources of water in the state.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
NJ water isn't crap, at least mine isn't. Not sure where you live.
it's rated the 4th worst in the nation due to all the industrial activity here over the decades. I'm sure there are some good spots, but mostly, it's not great. I live in West Orange. I drink it, but i'd love for it to be cleaner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey