Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:26 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering why the union, with all of their experts, let it go on for so many years. It's kind of obvious that if the payments aren't being made, then the money isn't going to be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times
Again Ann the unions did not let it go. They went to court , they lobbied for contributions to be made. It is a convenient argument now but governors did what they did for their political expediency same with legislatures.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I am just wondering why the union, with all of their experts, let it go on for so many years. It's kind of obvious that if the payments aren't being made, then the money isn't going to be there.
What were they supposed to do exactly when their only option (suing the state) was denied them by the state? The unions have tried, year after year, to get the state to make their payments since their members were making them year after year.

The job of the union is simple, make decisions that are best for its members. It is absolutely in the best interest of the public employees that the pension system be funded by both the members and the state and it is downright foolish to claim the unions WANTED the state to not pay their share.

How are the actions of the politicians the fault of the unions and union members?

Your irrational need to blame the unions for EVERYTHING wrong in this state is blatantly obvious in this thread.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:12 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times
I wonder what Political Action Committee "Ann" works for?

Old 05-01-2011, 02:29 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Default One big, fair step to SOLVE the state's fiscal woes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Nest egg is missing for N.J. public worker retirees | NJ.com I was reading this and did the math and raising taxes is the only way NJ can dig out of its current mess. As contractually state workers would still get their pensions if they are laid off.
What we often fail to realize is that the number one political action committee in this state (and country) is the 'Committee to Re-Elect Depublicans and Remocrats.' They trick us into thinking that they are two parties -- each having one segment of the working class's best interest at heart. Yeah... right!

Bah, humbug! The Depublicans and Remocrats of New Jersey have been very successful at pitting groups of producers against each other -- private workers vs. state workers, union vs. non-union, pensioned vs. non-pensioned, and those who receive benefits as part of their compensation vs. those who don't. But all the while, who's milking the system? The Depublicans and Remocrats are milking us dry!

It's time for people who work for a living to unite against the Depublican and Remocrat forces -- those who excessively tax the productive classes. (In this regard, the Tea Party is correct.)

But somebody still has to pay the government's bills, and if the politically powerful retirees think that Generation X and our Millennial offspring are going to pony up more deductions from our paychecks while the current retirees' benefits go untouched, they've got another thought coming! In this regard, Ann is right -- the best qualified people will leave public service in droves... and the most capable people will leave this state faster than self-serving politicians can vilify us!

When it comes to the responsibility/accountability to fix the problem, how can we continue to ignore those who created the problem in the first place? Current retirees are the ones who voted into office the Depublicans and Remocrats who created the mess! Hence, current retirees should share some of the responsibility to fix it, wouldn't you think?

Where do we begin? Liam is right -- the only way to do it is raising taxes. But on whom? How about raising taxes on current retirees? Why retirees? Read on...

Are you aware that New Jersey is a tax haven for retirees? Are you aware that some retired couples can have income of nearly one-hundred thousand dollars (yes, that's $100,000.00) a year and pay nothing -- zero -- nada -- in New Jersey income tax? Working couples making that kind of money are forking over nearly $4,000 in New Jersey income tax! How can this be, you may ask?

Currently in New Jersey, retirees receive a double income tax benefit.
Benefit One: Social Security Income is not subject to state income tax. This is called the 'Social Security Income Exclusion.'
Benefit Two: Additionally, the first $20,000 of pension income (filing jointly) is tax exempt. This is called the 'Pension Exclusion' or the 'Other Retirement Income Exclusion.'
For the state to begin fairly distributing the tax burden away from the backs of the productive class, the solution is simple. Tell retirees to "pick your exclusion." From now on you take one or the other, not both.

Contrary to AARP propaganda, retirees are the wealthiest age group of American society. (Some pertinent links: 1. Generation gap? About $200,000 - USATODAY.com 2. The Average Net Worth of Americans: Where Do You Stand? | Money Relationship) Don't believe the articles or me? Here's a way to test for yourself: Any weekend, stop at a diner or restaurant in the Toms River area. Whereas many food service businesses throughout the state are hurting due to the overall economy, the waiting lines are still out of the doors in these retiree-friendly neighborhoods. It's obvious that the retired population, politically preferenced as they are, still have oodles of money to spend!

It's time to stop giving middle class retirees a free pass on NJ income tax while those of producing age are taxed hand-over-fist. We begin by making retirees choose their tax deduction -- pension income exclusion or social security exclusion; one or the other, NOT BOTH!

Old 05-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:

So I disagree, so I must work for a PAC?

hahahahahahaahahahaahaha

Old 05-01-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
What were they supposed to do exactly when their only option (suing the state) was denied them by the state? The unions have tried, year after year, to get the state to make their payments since their members were making them year after year.

The job of the union is simple, make decisions that are best for its members. It is absolutely in the best interest of the public employees that the pension system be funded by both the members and the state and it is downright foolish to claim the unions WANTED the state to not pay their share.

How are the actions of the politicians the fault of the unions and union members?

Your irrational need to blame the unions for EVERYTHING wrong in this state is blatantly obvious in this thread.
Well, the union should have fought for 401Ks. Then they'd be in control of their own money.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Oh, I love this too...

I'm "irrational" because I have an opposing viewpoint.

hahahahahahahahahaha

Old 05-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
"Ann"

hahaha

Who do/did you work for "crazynip"? I see you're down in Tampa now. Why so interested in a NJ topic? I wonder...

hahahahahahaha

Old 05-01-2011, 02:43 PM

Bowing out of this thread, you people are making me laugh too hard.

Good luck getting your pension funds funded! I'm sure you'll get a governor in next time that will take care of this whole yucky problem for ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey