Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:41 PM

7 posts, read 32,241 times

Advertisements

Hello - we are from the midwest, originally from India and currently renting in central jersey but planning to buy and move closer to my husband's place of work in berkeley heights. we have two young children and a great school system is paramount. basking ridge has the best schools, but is supposedly snobby. is that so? i do not want my kids to feel excluded or exclusive! and how do berkeley heights and NP compare? the schools there rank lower, but are still good. are these towns and schools welcoming to non-rich, non-whites?

any other towns within good commutable distance to berkeley heights would be great, if you can suggest some.

thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 01:36 PM

84 posts, read 296,714 times
All the towns you mentioned will be fine for your children. I have good friends that have kids in school in Basking Ridge and they definitely have diverse friends.. you should be 100% fine. This is New Jersey; most towns are diverse.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the info! What about bernardsville and mendham? Those
Seem to be less diverse and on this forum
I read that they are a more exclusive crowd. Thanks again!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:19 PM

341 posts, read 678,614 times
Of course you will " be fine." However, these towns are very racially homogenous and upper middle class, which, unfortunately, in New Jersey often translates to one or more of the following:

-Not totally accepting of non-whites
-Prejudiced
-Snobbish
-Xenophobic (especially to non-Christians)

While you will be "welcomed" with smiles, communities such as these very often can have something more sinister and unwelcoming bubbling just below the surface. I could be wrong but do not take anyone's word that these towns are meccas of liberal attitudes and progressive behavior. Investigate it for yourself...... THOROUGHLY!

Yes this is New Jersey. But most towns are not diverse. The diverse towns are the exception not the rule. NJ schools and neighborhoods are some of the most segregated in the nation. Investigate it and you will see.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,547 times
[url=http://baskingridge.patch.com/articles/us-census-most-population-growth-among-youngest-and-oldest-residents]U.S. Census: Most Population Growth Among Youngest and Oldest Residents - Basking Ridge, NJ Patch[/url]
Maky, Check out the link to the Patch article with the latest census data. Basking Ridge is a great town to raise a family. I have lived there for 17 years and put 2 kids through the schools. Besides excellent schools, Basking Ridge is centrally located and convenient to major highways and Newark airport.
I am also a Realtor in town and would be happy to show around.You can contact me at [email]alswider@optonline.net[/email].

Old 05-27-2011, 01:51 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
Of course you will " be fine." However, these towns are very racially homogenous and upper middle class, which, unfortunately, in New Jersey often translates to one or more of the following:

-Not totally accepting of non-whites
-Prejudiced
-Snobbish
-Xenophobic (especially to non-Christians)

While you will be "welcomed" with smiles, communities such as these very often can have something more sinister and unwelcoming bubbling just below the surface. I could be wrong but do not take anyone's word that these towns are meccas of liberal attitudes and progressive behavior. Investigate it for yourself...... THOROUGHLY!

Yes this is New Jersey. But most towns are not diverse. The diverse towns are the exception not the rule. NJ schools and neighborhoods are some of the most segregated in the nation. Investigate it and you will see.

i work in basking ridge. it's a beautiful town, great schools. one of my best friends from college grew up here. he told me about some old sentiments in the town that were very racist in nature. can't say it's still like that, but wouldn't be shocked, as he's 30 years old, so we're not talking 40 years ago. anyways...just general observation from working here and being out and about...it's all white. it's def upper class. based on the information my friend has told me, i wouldn't want to live here. but...it's a beautiful town.

mendham, my perception of that is that it's very upper class. CEOs, CFOs, etc.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:17 PM

thanks all - i will skip mendham and bernardsville.i think basking ridge and berkeley heights are better bets with great schools!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:34 AM

9 posts, read 37,663 times
YMCA in basking ridge is beyond words. wonderful community. exploding high taxes and overcrowding: yes...... somethings in this world are worth paying for

Old 07-03-2011, 02:16 PM

Default have the berkeley heights school gone down ?

In my research about schools in basking ridge, berkeley heights and new providence, I find that berkeley heights' high school- governor livingston-has really gone down in rankings both on NJ monthly and in the national rankings from last year.
is this true? i know basking ridge is up there in school rankings, and new providence seems to have a very good school too, but am not sure about berkeley heights. any ideas would be appreciated!

also -- do any berkeley heights residents want to recommend one of the elementary schools over the other two?

My situation is this: basking ridge is no doubt a great town with great school, but it is very expensive. so we were looking at berkeley heights, but I cant seem to find very much good information about the schools staying on top!

thank you!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 PM

81 posts, read 249,241 times
Default Berkeley Schools

Hi There, Hope I can help. I know the Berkeley Heights schools very well. Excellent reputation. I wouldn't worry about the lower scores that you mentioned. Just within the last month or so the high school was rated very high in the state and nationally. (I tried to find the info but couldn't). The elementary schools are excellent; one is as good as the other so just find the house you like. BH is a committed community toward education. BTW, I would also suggest New Prov. Very nice town with great schools as well. Either choice is excellent. Feel free to DM; I know all the towns and schools around here very well. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey