Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:29 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,368 times

Advertisements

Well living in N.J..i couldn't afford one of these 55 communities...they were so ridiculously priced for
people on pensions, etc....It seems that N.J. is a state for the rich.....Retirement communitites? yeah
sure, some of them are over $500,000.....that's crazy....they can keep them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
Well living in N.J..i couldn't afford one of these 55 communities...they were so ridiculously priced for
people on pensions, etc....It seems that N.J. is a state for the rich.....Retirement communitites? yeah
sure, some of them are over $500,000.....that's crazy....they can keep them.
????? places like leisure village and other places in south jersey are cheap by pretty much any standard. <$100K.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
The most important reason that towns approve them to get built is that they can satisfy their low income housing requirements through building them. It's perfectly legal to build them and dedicate a section to low income housing, but still have the 55+ requirement. Towns would rather saturate themselves with elderly seniors than with actual low income families.

The other benefit was already mentioned and that is the increased tax revenue without adding to school enrollment. However, a lot of towns are realizing the backlash on that as the seniors tend to actually vote and they love to vote no on school budgets regardless of what they contain.

Overall, I think they're a terrible investment. My parents are considering one as they can get one very cheap, but I would prefer steering them into a smaller regular house on one floor over a 55+ development. I can just see them continuing to decline in value and would hate to be stuck with trying to sell one when the time came.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 PM

188 posts, read 414,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
????? places like leisure village and other places in south jersey are cheap by pretty much any standard. <$100K.
I think they are talking about ones like this, http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2_M57748-26022
*not affiliated with the property in any way.

In some towns they were probably hoping that people who had children leaving the house, would want to downsize. Charge a good amount for the adult community and have the larger houses on the market for new families (and then the bubble burst).

Old 06-07-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrunner View Post
I think they are talking about ones like this, 10 Rolling Meadows Blvd S Ocean Mon NJ - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #21118336 - Realtor.com®
*not affiliated with the property in any way.

In some towns they were probably hoping that people who had children leaving the house, would want to downsize. Charge a good amount for the adult community and have the larger houses on the market for new families (and then the bubble burst).
she said "i couldn't afford one of these 55 communities...they were so ridiculously priced for people on pensions, etc...." - my reply was there ARE 55+ communities affordable in NJ by nearly every standard. her statement is incorrect.

43 Magnolia Rd Manahawkin NJ - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #21115293 - Realtor.com®

Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 AM

505 posts, read 2,335,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I am curious about the length of supply quoted above. Where is that statistic from (not questioning or doubting you, it's just mindboggling>>
The statistic fluctuates a little month to month, but it comes from the amount of over 55 units that are available divided by how many are selling monthly. The equation is this Active Units/Monthly Sold Units=Months Supply.

I got the statistic from Otteau Valuations - quite possibly the leading expert on real estate valuations in the state of NJ. They are located in East Brunswick.

~Joey

Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
she said "i couldn't afford one of these 55 communities...they were so ridiculously priced for people on pensions, etc...." - my reply was there ARE 55+ communities affordable in NJ by nearly every standard. her statement is incorrect.

43 Magnolia Rd Manahawkin NJ - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #21115293 - Realtor.com®
There are a lot of them priced in the $100k-$150k range. My parents have looked at about 15 communities and all of them had homes available or able to be built for under $150k. Probably the biggest deterent in some of them is the maintenance fees that can be quite high. My parents have looked at places with fees around $500 a month. However, that includes all exterior maintenance, staffed health club, community pool, rec center and weekend transportation to shopping.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 AM

46 posts, read 106,732 times
There are a few more issues to consider with the 55+ communities in new jersey. For a state that already pays a lot for taxes, these communities are very attractive to their targets and visually pleasing for other members of the town, which allows property values to rise. I have seen on more than one occasion where town legislators have been embarrassed in hindsight of approving a new project in their town, like apartment complexes (not to say they are bad overall, of course). Also, its an emerging business considering people are living longer on average. Also keep in mind that the baby boomers, overall, were an independent yet revolutionary generation in America, so the idea of assisted living is something that turns them off. But, a giant, enclosed, new looking neighborhood with all sorts of services and amenities available is much more attractive. That's why this works, and increased values on other houses are why towns agree to it.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
I guess if you have the money it is OK, but I can't imagine paying NJ property taxes at that point.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I guess if you have the money it is OK, but I can't imagine paying NJ property taxes at that point.
shrug. the property i linked has taxes of ~$1500/yr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey